Does this recent scandal blow the Ben Johnson scandal away?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Does this recent scandal blow the Ben Johnson scandal away?

Postby Track fan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:08 pm

I actually think because of the media has gotten more aggressive and there are more outlets that Jones and the related positives make Ben Johnson's scandal seem like he was popped for drinking ginseng before the 88' final....... :roll:
Track fan

Postby eldrick » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:08 am

i doubt it

you cannot beat the 100m men's final for prestige & probably joe public only watched 10s of the whole games - that specific final

no disrespect for women's sport, but i doubt joe public gives 2 hoots which woman won the 100 ( or 200 final )
eldrick

Postby Powell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:13 am

eldrick wrote:no disrespect for women's sport, but i doubt joe public gives 2 hoots which woman won the 100 ( or 200 final )

I don't think the part about less interest in women's sprints is true. But what made Ben Johnson's story so big was that he made headlines with his run just a few days earlier, winning a hugely hyped final by a huge margin with a huge WR. Marion is old news, she hasn't won anything big for years, and nearly everyone who cared enough to have an opinion had for a long time believed she was on drugs.
Powell

Re: Does this recent scandal blow the Ben Johnson scandal aw

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 am

Track fan wrote:Ben Johnson's scandal seem like he was popped for drinking ginseng before the 88' final....... :roll:

That's not how I remember it. As Powell mentioned above, that was big news everywhere.

Now if Jones had been caught in Sydney it would have been a different story and possibly bigger.
Daisy

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:57 am

Timing is everything.
MJD

Postby mike renfro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:33 am

Well, to steal from an old AW headline "The Greatest Fraud in Athletic History", twould seem that Ben has a worth compatriot :twisted:
mike renfro

Postby eldrick » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:37 am

Daisy wrote:Now if Jones had been caught in Sydney it would have been a different story and possibly bigger.

a sliver of a possibilty if marion had won in 10.48

remember bj won the biggie event of the sport & with a stunning wr - you can't beat a fall from grace as big as that in our sport
Last edited by eldrick on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldrick

Postby eldrick » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:43 am

Powell wrote:
eldrick wrote:no disrespect for women's sport, but i doubt joe public gives 2 hoots which woman won the 100 ( or 200 final )

I don't think the part about less interest in women's sprints is true

i wasn't referring to dedicated athletics fans ( to whom both sexes sprints are fairly equally important ), but to joe public

joe public coudn't have given a flying fig about who won the women's 100m & whether they were busted for doping ( think texas here & multiply 10-fold for joe public who's main sports are gridiron, baseball, basketball, soccer )

i'm fairly dedicated fan, but i must admit, i had a lotta work at the time & coud only watch snippets of those games - the only race for which i specifically made time for & dropped all other work for was that 100 final ( to me, that was what those games were about ) - i don't think i even found out the women's sprint results 'till reading about it in the following day's newspaper
Last edited by eldrick on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldrick

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am

mike renfro wrote:Well, to steal from an old AW headline "The Greatest Fraud in Athletic History", twould seem that Ben has a worth compatriot :twisted:

That's for sure. Likely been going on for over 10 years and she has been stealing money from people longer than Ben ever did and probably much more. USAnians usually do things much better and bigger than anyone else. Morons like Sally Jenkins are already falling for her Oprah rehabilitation so she likely will be fine.
MJD

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Daisy wrote:
Track fan wrote:Ben Johnson's scandal seem like he was popped for drinking ginseng before the 88' final....... :roll:

That's not how I remember it. As Powell mentioned above, that was big news everywhere.

Now if Jones had been caught in Sydney it would have been a different story and possibly bigger.

If Marion had been caught in Sydney after her 5th event, it would have been 100 times bigger. If she had confessed in 2003 or 2004, it would have been 10 times bigger. If she had broken a WR (certainly, either one of FloJo's), it would have been 1,000 times bigger if she had been caught in Sydney, and even worse if she had broken a WR in Sydney. The suspicions stretching over the past 4 years took most of the air out of the scandal, and the fact that she sang last week was little surprise to most. I saw it coming when she went broke.
CookyMonzta

Postby Mats Nilsson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:16 pm

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby CookyMonzta » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:17 am

Mats Nilsson wrote:Not even close to the Ben Johnson scandal on an international level. It is not even being discussed in Swedish media anymore. Like I have said before: Everybody [except Eldrick] already knew that MJ wasa dirty athlete after her husband got caught.

Nobody back home is surprised any longer when American athletes test positive I am sad to say.

In 2000 I wasn't too sure about Marion being dirty when C.J. got caught, because shot-putters were notorious for coming up dirty long before then.

As for Ben, he had the single most-obvious motivation for getting dirty himself: He wanted to beat Carl Lewis. That made his case far more scandalous than Marion's today. Marion had been reduced to a pariah long before she sang. Going broke and facing the possibility of being ordered to testify in Trevor Graham's trial (with the possibility of more dirt on her being revealed) forced her to wave the white flag.
CookyMonzta

Postby Mats Nilsson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:51 am

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 am

Mats Nilsson wrote:Are you so sure that CL was clean? How about those braces in Santa Monica runners

that's the 2nd time you've mentioned this

i don't recall him ever wearing braces during his international career ( certainly not at majors ) & not something i recall for deloach, steve lewis or marsh

do you have pics ?
eldrick

Postby Mats Nilsson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:50 am

Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby eldrick » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00 pm

well

i'm a helluva a fan of the ole santa monica runners & i'm a huge fan of tom tellez, who coached 3 succesive og 200m champs/succesive 100m titles/4 lj titles/ 400 title ( ?steve lewis ) - on achievements, i'd call him greatest coach in history

as for rest:

- why google pictures of their jaws ?

i'm neither a dentist & much more pertinently, i never saw them wear braces on tv meets

if you have the "zapruder" footage of them with braces - tell us where !

- exum revealed ephedrine +ve's for some of the guys in the camp '88 ( in his "warren" report ) - it was from a coupla $ cold remedy bought from the pharmacy - considering these were closely grouped athletes in near proximity for many weeks, it is not rocket science to conclude if one came down with flu, others in the camp caught it & sent the gofer down to pharmacy to get a cold remedy, which they all took

yes, at the time, if revealed, it dq'ed them from the meet & seoul, but considering this drug is on a par with caffeine ( now taken off the wada list ), it may have been prescient of ustaf to consider ephedrine on same par as a nonsense caffeine conviction & ignored +ves ( if you are of the belief that human science wasn't developed enough in '88 to decide that piss-ant ephedrine was no performance enhancer, then think again - it was hardly "splitting the atom" science ) - find me a 20.20 guy who ran 20.00 off ephedrine

then you have the consideration that the '88 trials were simple shootout between King & deloach ( no one else in the world coud break 20 ) & as long as they both qualified, one of the 2 wins gold - seeing as both tested +ve, their was no "one-upmanship" & neither gained an advantage over the other

deloach came in with quickest time to trials, King, after 4y came back to 200m - neither needed any assistance to make top-3 in trials
eldrick

Postby mrbowie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:31 pm

Nice try, pal!

It changes nothing as far as Ben Johnson is concerned.

Candians will never get off the hook on that one.
mrbowie

Postby OKOWO » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:34 pm

eldrick wrote:
Mats Nilsson wrote:Are you so sure that CL was clean? How about those braces in Santa Monica runners

that's the 2nd time you've mentioned this

i don't recall him ever wearing braces during his international career ( certainly not at majors ) & not something i recall for deloach, steve lewis or marsh

do you have pics ?

I'm not accusing Carl or anyone of anything but Mats is right about the braces. Both Carl & Leroy had on them in Tokyo '91. They were very visible during their respective BBC post race interviews, especially the ecstatic, grinning new WR holder. If you can get the footage you'll see what I mean.
OKOWO

Postby Mennisco » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:44 am

If Ben had never been caught, this would be a million times bigger. 22
Mennisco

Postby Mennisco » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:47 am

eldrick wrote:ino disrespect for women's sport, but i doubt joe public gives 2 hoots which woman won the 100 ( or 200 final )

So the shoe companies are equal opportunity employers, or something like that? :P

Mennisco

Postby eldrick » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:27 am

OKOWO wrote:I'm not accusing Carl or anyone of anything but Mats is right about the braces. Both Carl & Leroy had on them in Tokyo '91. They were very visible during their respective BBC post race interviews, especially the ecstatic, grinning new WR holder. If you can get the footage you'll see what I mean.

i musta watched the youtube footage of the 100m & lj a dozen times over the years & don't recall any of this

i'll have to watch it again some more
eldrick

Postby Mats Nilsson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:13 am

Mats Nilsson

Postby Mennisco » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:15 am

Mats Nilsson wrote:
For a doctor "in da hood" your grammar is excellent even compared to a Swede Eldrick.

Reminds me of a Guns N' Roses song, "Swede Child O' Mine"....
Mennisco