Money and Cheating

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Money and Cheating

Postby mrbowie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:49 pm

How much impact does money (earned through competing or from endorsements) have on an athlete's willingness to cheat?

The reason I pose the question is that I am wondering if the sport was better off before it turned pro.

I have always had misgivings about track and field going pro.

It is especially concerning right now when young men and women are forsaking their educations for a quick buck.

I wonder what is going to happen to some of the young folks when they become 40 years of age. If they want to become teachers, for example, or educators, how far will they get without a degree?
mrbowie

Postby mrbowie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:11 am

Well, I guess this one hits too close to home to garner any commentary.
mrbowie

Postby tandfman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:33 am

Some of us are still trying to figure out the difference between teachers and educators.
tandfman

Postby bad hammy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:48 am

tandfman wrote:Some of us are still trying to figure out the difference between teachers and educators.

You're DaveW???
bad hammy

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:49 am

mrbowie wrote:Well, I guess this one hits too close to home to garner any commentary.

I think your question is too specific.

Q: How much does the prospect of monetary and material gains affect one's willingness to cheat, violate laws and break rules in any walk of life?

A: It's by far the greatest contributor to this willingness going back to the earliest days of the caveman's attempts to progress from barbarism to a civil society.
jazzcyclist

Postby Jack Slocombe » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 am

In the old days, before $$ was involved, T&F was a secondary activity for collegians and graduates. Study and THEN work out or work your regular job THEN work out. It was tough, but a whole lot of people did it and did well.
Athletes did what they did out of love, not $$$ gain.

I rather liked it back then. Today, who knows. There are a few players I believe are clean, but I fear there are too many who are not.
Jack Slocombe

Postby mrbowie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:28 pm

tandfman wrote:Some of us are still trying to figure out the difference between teachers and educators.

A teacher is that person directly dealing with a student in a classroom, whereas an educator is an administrator within the school system.
mrbowie

Postby mrbowie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:29 pm

Jack Slocombe wrote:In the old days, before $$ was involved, T&F was a secondary activity for collegians and graduates. Study and THEN work out or work your regular job THEN work out. It was tough, but a whole lot of people did it and did well.
Athletes did what they did out of love, not $$$ gain.

I rather liked it back then. Today, who knows. There are a few players I believe are clean, but I fear there are too many who are not.

Thank you.

I feel as you do.
mrbowie

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:59 pm

Teachers can be dopes too! :D

oh, my bad, you said dopERs. No, we don't make enough money to be able to afford drugs of ANY sort. Baby aspirin is it for me!
tafnut

Postby mrbowie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:33 pm

tafnut wrote:Teachers can be dopes too! :D

oh, my bad, you said dopERs. No, we don't make enough money to be able to afford drugs of ANY sort. Baby aspirin is it for me!

You may not get paid a ton, but I'd bet you are living a lot more meaningful life than some of these professional athletes of today will wind up having.
mrbowie

Postby RMc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:48 am

OK, here's my idea for enforcement (which seems to not have sparked much response).
http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=28130

As I've posted before, if PEDs can be shown to be safe at "therapeutic" levels (which probably for sports is way beyond usual medicinal levels) then they should be allowed. We already have rules that set a test thresholds (e.g. 4:1 testosterone/epitestosterone). I agree that this should be framed as a health issue rather than moral (we already have other examples of tolerated "cheating", e.g., the invention of fiberglass poles). But the penalty has to be substantial to inhibit actual use--a few months obviously won't do it given the probability of getting by a test.
RMc