Marion to plead guilty to doping!

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 am

i've never been too sure about doping with 100h

after all, back in bad ole days, they probably only took steroids ( nothing else i can think of apart from some gowth hormone which does same job as steroids ) to make them "stronger" & "quicker" on the flat

however, i doubt they coud still break 11s with those, whereas a gail had "natural" 10.7 ability ( "basic" )/was pretty damn strong ( see those legs ) & she coudn't break 12.3 ( ok not the greatest technique, but good enough to have won some globals over the stix )!

i can't see steroids "improving" technique, so i think to run 12.2, they musta had far superior technique than the later athletes & that has to be put down more to superior talent ( technique-wise ) + coaching, than drugs

bottom line : i don't think it's an automatic choice that hat those 12.2 gals were all on drugs
eldrick

Postby Mats Nilsson » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 am

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby marknhj » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:00 am

eldrick wrote:i've never been too sure about doping with 100h

Eldy. You consistently baffle me with your comments about drugs. PEDs can significantly improve performance in every single event. Without question. Period. It's a sport that is still riddled with drug takers at the elite level, and, most probably at many levels beneath. It has been for decades and will likely remain so into the near future and beyond. Watch and enjoy knowing that, or give up and watch tiddlywinks. But please stop defending these frigin' cheats.
marknhj

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:16 am

bad hammy wrote:Sunday edition: zero stories about MJ . . .

But on Tuesday we get an editiorial and an editorial cartoon:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... DSM76Q.DTL

Tom Meyers of the SF Chronicle 10-9-07
bad hammy

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:19 am

mark

i was being event specific when mentioning drugs with the 100h

even if those 12.2 gals were stuffed to the gills with 'roids, they were probably 0.3s slower over the flat than gail, but managed to be ~ 0.2s faster than her over the stix when she was at her fastest on the flat ( early '90s )

i can only see a vastly superior technique achieving that ( & gail's wasn't bad ) & i'm not aware of any drug back then or know, which improves your technique

i'm just saying the case for drug improvement in this event is not cut-&-dried ( same may apply to 110h, where wr has moved on from 12.92 to 12.88 in nearly 20y & if you adjust for lausanne's 500m+ altitude, there's no improvement at all )
eldrick

Postby marknhj » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:20 am

bad hammy wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... DSM76Q.DTL

Tom Meyers of the SF Chronicle 10-9-07

And Jay Leno mentioned Jones last night; said something like she called the USC football team at halftime and offered them her steroids that she no longer needed....
marknhj

Postby Jon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:29 am

eldrick wrote:i was being event specific when mentioning drugs with the 100h
Which is what is so baffling. It's not like all the drug cheats are shared across all the other events, while everyone who competes in the 110H is clean. Engqvist, Damu Cherry, Larry Wade, Tony Dees, Mark McKoy, Svetla Dimitrova, etc - they all produced their best performances while on the juice, so I think that's enough proof.

The sprint hurdles combines both technique and speed. Drugs won't help much with the former, but it can help HEAPS with the latter.

I shall await your customary contrary reply with yawning breath... :roll:
Jon

Postby Flumpy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 am

Mats Nilsson wrote:Flumpy, I would have came out as a preaching and judgmental person unless I would have added in an introspective comment [I am a Swede]. I was trying to be nice to Eldrick. Anyhow, people in general were semi-happy when Ludmila won 1996 no doubts [have you ever a Scandinavian being more than semi-happy?] . Some people in the Swedish track family hated her no matter what she did so I guess you are correct [she was never entirely accepted]. In general, Joe Schmoe probably appreciated her more than her fellow team mates. The thing is...after her Olympic gold people sort of forgot that she actually had tested positive once in her career previously. Now she was a celebrated Swede all of a sudden. I find this ironic a little bit hypocritical particularly considering our strict stance against doping [we are all Arne Ljungqvist clones ;-)]. It was also interesting to see that the same people that celebrated her achievements completely turned on her and basically forced her out of the country once she was caught doing drugs after her track career. For God's sake...she had already tested positive previously in her career. Why did they accept her in the first place? Simple answer: She was a good athlete that would bring glory to the nation. So are we more hypocritical than North Americans in general? :lol: That smiley should answer your question, but there are always exceptions. Most of my life her in the States I have indeed been surrounded with A+ individuals. I have no complaints.

So no Flumpy, it was not a weird remark.

Sorry I thought you were just slaagging off Swedes and after GB Sweden are my favourite team so I got a bit offended.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:54 pm

i'm a little bit with eldy :? :?

ludmilla enquist had the best tecnique i can remember. of course drugs can help your spead but they can't help your trail leg.
mump boy

Postby Andrea_T » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:19 am

But they can help you practice your trail leg again and again and again and again and again and again...
Andrea_T

Postby croflash » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:03 am

Lauryn Williams has posted some thoughts about Marion Jones in her blog:

http://wcsnblogs.com/track-and-field/laurynwilliams
croflash

Postby mump boy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:50 am

Andrea_T wrote:But they can help you practice your trail leg again and again and again and again and again and again...

true but i have a feeling some people don't bother practicing at all.
mump boy

Postby paddyb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:53 am

Mats Nilsson wrote: Anyhow, there is only one person that I can see that was absolutely clean in the 1988 Olympic final and it wasn't Linford.

I'd love to know what evidence there is that allows you to come to the conclusion that there was one person in that final that was absolutely clean? Impossible to know.

So your evidence would be...
    they had a steady and gradual improvement over the years? (guess what - so can people on PED's)
    they were gracious in defeat (actually Marion and the like can come across very gracious when they feel like it)
    they were an all-round good guy (well guess again - PED users can be good guys too. Gatlin was probably a nice guy before he was so evil and took some pills - being facetious in case you don;t know my tone!)
    Oh ... and of course - it's because they declared to the world that they were clean - well you name someone who has been busted who never publically stated they were clean. Of course they say they are clean. They have too. It would be a bit of dead giveaway if they said... "well actually I don't have an opinion on whether you should take drugs or not!"

The simple fact is that no-one can ever know who is taking what - because we know that drug tests don't catch anyone. Not even some spouses would know if their husbands/wives are on something, considering the dozens of supplements everyone takes. They could totally be in teh dark.
paddyb

Postby Jon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:27 am

mump boy wrote:i'm a little bit with eldy :? :?

ludmilla enquist had the best tecnique i can remember. of course drugs can help your spead but they can't help your trail leg.
And I agree with the technique point, too.

But there have been loads of hurdlers throughout the years with awesome technique and no speed - and that only gets you so far. Engqvist needed speed to bring her down to the 12.2 level (she already had the technique) and she could gain that extra edge by taking drugs.
Jon

Postby Andrea_T » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 am

croflash wrote:Lauryn Williams has posted some thoughts about Marion Jones in her blog:

http://wcsnblogs.com/track-and-field/laurynwilliams

What a great blog! Wish I'd been aware of that sooner, some interesting entries. Thanks!
Andrea_T

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:36 am

Does anyone know the details of the ultimatim that the Feds gave to MJ?
jazzcyclist

Postby eldrick » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:58 am

Jon wrote:
mump boy wrote:i'm a little bit with eldy :? :?

And I agree with the technique point, too.

But there have been loads of hurdlers throughout the years with awesome technique and no speed - and that only gets you so far. Engqvist needed speed to bring her down to the 12.2 level (she already had the technique) and she could gain that extra edge by taking drugs.

i'd esimate drug improvement in the event is small

now, with flat-sprinting, virtually all the strength gain from drugs goes into increased speed & for a rough estimate, i'd wager no more than ~0.3s ( i think the max improvement a natural 11.0 gal is likely to get to with them is maybe 10.7 ( & for those who don't believe that marion wasn't at least a natural 11.0 gal, needs their head examining )

now, with hurdles, it's speed + technique

at best, drugs have a small effect on latter,but still all the speed increase

how much improvement to ascribe ?

i'd say 1/2 to 2/3 of that of a flat sprinter's improvement of 0.3s

for donkey with her 12.21, that woud mean something like

12.21 + ( 1/2 of 0.3s to 2/3 of 0.3s ) = ~ 12.36 - 12.41 naturally

for nazy, with her 12.26, = ~ 12.41 - 12.46 naturally

that is immense natural talent & couda won every recent global except '04
eldrick

Postby eldrick » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Does anyone know the details of the ultimatim that the Feds gave to MJ?

jazzy, i think there is little chance of us ever finding out :

- if they admit they only got the confession thru exerting pressure of the lock-tight check-fraud charge, the confession has little validity ( marion woud probably have given them the colonel's recipe for his fry-mix if it woud save her 4y+ in jail ) & they look mugs

- if marion comes out on oprah or in her book, & says she said whatever the feds wanted her to say ( in view of above ) & that the confession was bogus & she never took drugs, then she is saying the admission to balco perjury was a lie & therefore a further perjury Image, that woud mean more jail time

logically, i just can't see us ever getting disclosures
eldrick

Postby RMc » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 pm

marknhj wrote:
eldrick wrote:i've never been too sure about doping with 100h

Eldy. You consistently baffle me with your comments about drugs. PEDs can significantly improve performance in every single event. Without question. Period. It's a sport that is still riddled with drug takers at the elite level, and, most probably at many levels beneath. It has been for decades and will likely remain so into the near future and beyond. Watch and enjoy knowing that, or give up and watch tiddlywinks. But please stop defending these frigin' cheats.

As I've posted earlier (you can search for it in the archives), I've looked at historic performances statistically in several ways, and you can see (1) that periodic improvement "bursts" have been the norm in the sport for decades, even before PEDs were common or even known and (2) that the increased drug testing vigilance appears to have had a significant impact as measured through performance decreases in notable events in the late 80's and early '90s.

Obviously, the sport is not clean. But on the other hand, it is probably cleaner than it was 20 years ago based on the evidence we have from indirect evidence.
RMc

Postby Mennisco » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:54 pm

never mind.
Last edited by Mennisco on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mennisco

Postby Mennisco » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:08 pm

bad hammy wrote:

That is TFHilarious, thank you Hamster!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so glad they opened the hollow deck agin, as I can post a bit and not feel like I have blown my sobriety. :wink:
Mennisco

Postby Mats Nilsson » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:16 pm

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby paddyb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:59 am

Mats Nilsson wrote:
A) Inside information perhaps? If that answer does not satisfy you go ahead and read some speculations on

Da Silva was probably clean along with the most deserving gold medallist Calvin Smith.

you can have all the inside information you want - unless you are with someone 24 hours a day you can never tell if they are 100% clean.

What makes you think Da Silva and Smith were clean? Because they said so...???? because they are good guys? becuase they were consistent???? That is not enough evidence..
paddyb

Postby Mats Nilsson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:31 am

Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby Mats Nilsson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 am

Last edited by Mats Nilsson on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Nilsson

Postby eldrick » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:07 am

Mats Nilsson wrote:Take a look at Calvin's body...T.I.N.Y. Add his persona to the mix and the likelihood of him using anabolic steroids are slim next to nothing. It would be like accusing Carolina Kluft of roiding.

you know well enough that appearance is no basis of deciding drug-use : the ddr women sprinters weren't big - the philosophy behind their regime was to strengthen up with drugs, but not add bulk up

a "tiny" athlete coud be just applying same principles - get 10 - 20% stronger with drugs, but restrict protein intake to keep weight constant
eldrick

Postby paddyb » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:10 am

eldrick wrote:
Mats Nilsson wrote:Take a look at Calvin's body...T.I.N.Y. Add his persona to the mix and the likelihood of him using anabolic steroids are slim next to nothing. It would be like accusing Carolina Kluft of roiding.

you know well enough that appearance is no basis of deciding drug-use : the ddr women sprinters weren't big - the philosophy behind their regime was to strengthen up with drugs, but not add bulk up

a "tiny" athlete coud be just applying same principles - get 10 - 20% stronger with drugs, but restrict protein intake to keep weight constant

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks eldrick.
paddyb

Postby Mats Nilsson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:42 am

Mats Nilsson

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:18 am

mats

i said nothing about steroids not working, but them having different efficacy :

a) stanzolol/turinabol/etc - dynamite anabolic effect ( i'm sure you'll get your 20% strength improvement there with no added bulk ) - full agonists

b) THG - moderate anabolic effect ( iirc, gestrinone is a partial agonist & hydrogenating it was to make it undetectable - it won't make it a full agonist ( the hydrogenation occurs at the other end of the molecule from the "anabolic receptor insertion" part ) ) - no matter what dose you take of a partial agonist, you won't get the anabolic effect of a decent dose of the above

c) growth hormone is not an anabolic steroid - it's not a steroid, but an anabolic polypeptide with no steroid structure - it has anabolic effects, but not anywhere as effective as a) ( imo )

anecdotally from reading on the web, i'd rate their anabolic effect of a) far greater than the other 2 ( which of the other 2 has better anabolic effects, i have no idea - little data to go on )

as for your protein-restriction, i assume you mean it has to be restricted in chronic renal failure in order to reduce urea production
eldrick

Since my thread with the end of the story was deleted from

Postby MattMarriott » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Since my thread with the end of the story was deleted from trackandfieldnews.com, here a link to other sites where you still can read it:
http://www.goldismoney.info/forums/show ... p?t=185209
http://breakfornews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3449
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=72214
http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.ph ... did=204163
MattMarriott

Re: Since my thread with the end of the story was deleted fr

Postby tafnut » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:35 pm

MattMarriott wrote:here a link to other sites where you still can read it:

This is too good to pass up - from one of the links MattM provides:
IAAF to Consider Investigating Sprinter Jones (campaign to destroy natural sport continues) Washington Post, Page D10 ^ | December 4, 2004

[bolding and underlining provided by me to emphasize the terrible unfairness of the Illuminati hounding poor Marion. ]
tafnut

Previous