jones returns medals

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

jones returns medals

Postby trackfan1 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:47 pm

trackfan1

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:49 pm

I wonder how she did this. Shipped them to the IOC? The article doesn't say.
tandfman

Postby eldrick » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:55 pm

well

from a financial point of view, a very dumb move

claim she lost them now & "find" them a few years later & sell 'em on ebay for a some $100,000s

it'd be nice to hear lawdude's opinion if IOC couda sued her for this
eldrick

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:28 pm

A thread opened up on Current Events links a longer article on this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandf ... id=3054706
tandfman

Postby Law dude » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:19 pm

eldrick wrote:well

from a financial point of view, a very dumb move

claim she lost them now & "find" them a few years later & sell 'em on ebay for a some $100,000s

it'd be nice to hear lawdude's opinion if IOC couda sued her for this

As I've said many times in many contexts, anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Now let's get to reality. They could sue her and immediately give her a problem. If she says she doesn't have them, she'll have to come up with a plausible reason why. One doesn't normally misplace five Olympic medals. Whatever the reason she offers, it impairs her ability to sell them on ebay at some future point. And if those things ever did surface on ebay, the IOC's law dudes could jump in then. That's not a good option for her.

If she says she has them but refuses to give them back, she'll have to spend money that she doesn't have defending a lawsuit that she's very unlkely to win.

All things considered, I'm not surprised she's giving them back, assuming that story is true.
Law dude

Marion's Medals

Postby bijanc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:21 pm

They were in O.J's Vegas hotel room.

"I thought you were a standup guy!!"

BCB
bijanc

Postby EPelle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:18 pm

eldrick wrote:claim she lost them now & "find" them a few years later & sell 'em on ebay for a some $100,000s

Now eldrick wants her to be a liar. Odd how fortunes change.
EPelle

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:43 am

EPelle wrote:
eldrick wrote:claim she lost them now & "find" them a few years later & sell 'em on ebay for a some $100,000s

Now eldrick wants her to be a liar. Odd how fortunes change.

you can lose even your most valuable possesions & perhaps find them later - why can't she ?

my most treasured sporting possessions are 4 or 5 ticket-stubs to the fnals of the athens games

i intended to put them in a scrap-book soon after returning home ( along with stubs to a heavyweight championship ( oliver mccall flattening lennox in 2 rounds back in '94 ), cricket world cup of '83, tiger playing in london, etc ) but unfortunately during a house clear-up before doing that, they disappeared & 3y later, to my great annoyance, i still can't find them

i'm a guy who never loses anything - i've never lost my house keys/wallet/mobile phone/credit card/etc in all my life, so i can't understand how these disappeared

if these treasured possessions of mine have been lost, & i'm meticulous about these things, i see no reason why marion coudn't have lost her medals
eldrick

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:28 am

She can keep the medals as far as im concerned. I want her to return the truth, the whole truth and nothin but the truth. Wouldnt that be like really cool n' stuff.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:54 am

Any chance the mods can combine these two MJ medals threads?? Thanks . . .
bad hammy

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:27 am

Law dude wrote:As I've said many times in many contexts, anyone can sue anyone for anything

an interesting situation wouda been if she'd sold her medals a long time ago, say before balco erupted, say ~'02 for a princessly sum

if the new owner is an avid collecter of such & has no intention of selling them back to marion ( she may not be able to buy them back ) after 5y, nor anyone else, i wonder how strong the IOC's case woud be to get them from him ?
eldrick

Postby marknhj » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:52 am

She could donate them to a movie company's prop department. That way if they got chewed up like AOs it really wouldn't matter and would be a fitting end to them. Destroyed while creating fiction.
marknhj

Postby Mennisco » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:16 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:She can keep the medals as far as im concerned. I want her to return the truth, the whole truth and nothin but the truth. Wouldnt that be like really cool n' stuff.

Didn't John Lennon write a song about something like that?
Mennisco

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Mennisco wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:She can keep the medals as far as im concerned. I want her to return the truth, the whole truth and nothin but the truth. Wouldnt that be like really cool n' stuff.

Imagine all the runners..running for the truth ... Nothin to cheat and drug for. and no Conte too...

You may say its Flax seed.. but your the only one..i hope some day we'll run clean and the track world will be as one.....
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:39 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
Mennisco wrote:

Imagine all the runners..running for the truth ... Nothin to cheat and drug for. and no Conte too...

You may say its Flax seed.. but your the only one..i hope some day we'll run clean and the track world will be as one.....

Wrong Lennon song. I think Mennie was talking about 'Gimme Some Truth' - same album, different tone, both great songs . . . .
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:52 am

He would have been 67 yesterday.
MJD

Postby Mennisco » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:56 am

bad hammy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
Mennisco wrote:

Wrong Lennon song. I think Mennie was talking about 'Gimme Some Truth' - same album, different tone, both great songs . . . .

Squackee nailed it, but your submission works too. :D
Mennisco

Postby Mennisco » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:08 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
Mennisco wrote:

And the Skankbag Chee-otch version:

Imagine no pee-WATA
Only earth and sky
And no WADA chemist
Half-ass smart as I
Imagine all the bling-bling
I could stash away...

OH-OH, OH-OH :shock:

You may say I'm a sleazy schema
But I'ze snot the only one
I hope they blow all the frickin'
WADA muddafuckaz away
And then just let me run...
[To the bank, I'ze a skank]...

OH-OH, OH-OH.... :shock:

:twisted:
Mennisco

Postby EPelle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:45 am

Privalova would not welcome an upper-class medal based on how it was "won".

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/sport/a ... 2003383183
EPelle

Postby Mennisco » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:18 am

Marion shoulda just thrown em' in a foundry and completed the meltdown.
Mennisco