Does Jones confession hurt Gatlin's chances?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Does Jones confession hurt Gatlin's chances?

Postby BillVol » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:23 am

I'm having a harder time believing Justin Gatlin's story now. Justin, why did you ever associate yourself with Trevor? This is really going to hurt TnF.
BillVol

Postby Flumpy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:09 am

What chances :?:
Flumpy

Re: Does Jones confession hurt Gatlin's chances?

Postby George P. » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:24 am

BillVol wrote:I'm having a harder time believing Justin Gatlin's story now. Justin, why did you ever associate yourself with Trevor? This is really going to hurt TnF.

Many here think Gatlin was a dope (pardon the pun) for associating with Trevor -- that he was a "babe in the woods," thoughtless, naive, etc. Another explanation is that Gatlin associated with Trevor precisely because he was Trevor. As to which was the case, I have no opinion - at least none I wish to post.
George P.

Re: Does Jones confession hurt Gatlin's chances?

Postby CookyMonzta » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:55 am

BillVol wrote:I'm having a harder time believing Justin Gatlin's story now. Justin, why did you ever associate yourself with Trevor? This is really going to hurt TnF.

Yes. It was his positive test in 2006 that prompted the feds to go full-tilt on Graham. If Marion had stood silent until his trial, she would have been called as a hostile witness, and would have been nailed right there, and things would have been 5 times worse. The moment it was announced she was broke, I knew that one of two things would happen: She would return to the track, in another event, or sing. Seeing the possibility of being forced to take the witness stand against Graham, she chose the latter option, and spilled the beans on herself.
CookyMonzta

Postby optimistic » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:39 pm

I think it helps because there was some indication in Gatlin's trial that Trevor may have doped him stating that it was B-12 shots. That accusation was made by the Feds (if I recall correctly) not by Gatlin. Marion has now said that she was told (by Trevor) that the clear was Flax Seed Oil.....so basically adding the two together make Trevor look worse.

Note: Not saying the athletes are right or wrong, just answering the question posed.

Also Gatlin was helping the Feds build their case while staying with trevor by allowing taping their conversations and possibly trying to get Trevor to say certain things.
optimistic

Postby eldrick » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:32 pm

you are discounting the possibilty that marion woud admit to anything to get her check-fraud plea-bargained down to 6/12 ( maybe even the secret recipe of the fry-mix of the colonel's chicken )

it's possible the feds may have "outlined" to her what they wanted in her confession - i e say trevor gave you these drops under the tongue which he told you were flaxseed oil, that your recovery time improved between workouts & that you ran better after (?!?! ), etc

putting trevor's name in marion's confession may have been the fed's ploy to put extra heat on him in his upcoming trial - whether it has any veracity...

unless they have got trevor on some unrelated, uncontestable prison-time crime ( "check-fraud" ), you can pretty much bet he'll deny anything in marion's testimony & bottom line - it's his word against hers
eldrick

Postby Speedster » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:01 am

When in the world has flax seed oil been administered under the tongue, in an amount that would have been relatively small considering the lack of potency of the oil and the high potency of the CLEAR. Marion, wise up, you're a college graduate and an intelligent woman. The story only attempts to show she was tricked into doping, when in reality, she must have known that it wasn't merely flax seed oil.
Speedster

Postby eldrick » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:11 am

it's quite easy to convince someone to take something under the tongue with some basic scientific gobbledygook

you can say if swallowed directly, it passes thru the liver straight after digestion & 95% of it gets metabolised ( inactivated ) - maybe bull as far as flaxseed oil is concerned

but telling them to take it under the tongue avoids the liver & only 5 or 10% gets inactivated - maybe more bull

gobbledygook : take it under the tongue - much more reaches the effective circulation/body that way & you need to take much less ( who's going to argue with that unless you are a biology graduate ? )
eldrick

Postby GeorgiaFan1 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:07 pm

It was my understanding that Nike pushed Gatlin toward Graham.
GeorgiaFan1