Lunn is the real deal

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Lunn is the real deal

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:23 pm

I'm not a big Stanford fan [are you allowed to say that on a T&FN board?], but I have to hand it to Jason Lunn: He's got the goods. He tooled on Krummenacker today at the LA/Home Depot Invite, and after his 3:54.43 at Pre last week he should be taken seriously. Now let's see what he can do in Europe.

Re: Lunn is the real deal

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:23 am

Lunn did sit on the pace quite well on sunday, and had the better of the kicks.

should make nationals a bit interesting...

krummenacker looked a bit sluggish in the last 100 meters, but I'd be shocked to see him not ready in a couple weeks.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:33 am

I think Krummenacker's lack of 1500 running this year showed. Lunn ran perfectly. He knew who the guy to beat was and timed his finish very well.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the pace is 3-4 seconds faster going into the last 4. Lunn was definately impressive and has gained alot of confidence in his ability to finish strong. This will help him at the US Champs and hopefully throughout the summer. From his interview it also sounds like he has some room to improve (still putting in solid miles). It should be an interesting summer.

I too think Krummenacker will have more to show in a few weeks especially if he runs a few more 15/mile races.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:38 am

right now Lunn is kicking better...

but taking Lunn and Krummenecker in August, Krummenecker has a far better chance to succeed, wiuth success being making the 800 finals...

I believe the 800 is the only event Krummenecker will run in Paris...

In terms of where they are in preparation, I would think Lunn is more advanced beyond base training....

Right now, they key for both are NATIONALS, and Krummenecker will be fresh in a couple weeks.

The interesting point was the rabbit went through 800 in 1:56 and Krummenecker wanted 1:52...

at 1:52 I wonder if Lunn would have been with him at the end??

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:10 pm

>right now Lunn is kicking better...>

In yesterday's race it appeared Krum thought he had it won when he got pat De Souza. If he had simply taken off at the top of the stretch as he normally does and run to the finish Lunn wouldn't have gotten to him. Not a great way to race and not a good sign for a guy who has to get through rounds at the WC's.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:27 pm

A.Z. My guess would be with you - Krummanacker will do better this year. This is simply because he has, to some degree, proven himself internationally.

Lunn has not proven himself at the next level yet. But, this may be the year. He is obviously very excited with how he is racing and how his training is progressing. Enthusiasm will take an athlete very far - as will confidence in a strong finish.

I am also very interested to see how they will both do at a faster clip. Lunn looked very fresh at the end - he didn't tie up at all - Krummancker didn't have the snap that I would have thought that he would after running so well a couple weeks ago in the 8.

I hope they both excel this summer. They seem like they have their heads on straight, are training hard and have a great attitude. It would be nice to see a couple Americans (or more) start to really come out in the middle distances. Lunn may be gaining the confidence necessary to mix it up with the big boys. Krummanacker already has the confidence - but apparently needs more 15 racing if he's going to try to do it beyond 800m.

Postby dl » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:02 pm

I think if he continues to progress he should be able to get the Worlds standard after USATF.
dl

Postby gh » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:49 pm

>I'm not a big Stanford fan [are you allowed to
>say that on a T&FN board?], >>

I don't know if that was a throwaway line or if you're serious, but what would lead anyone to believe that Stanford gets special treatment from T&FN? Other than sheer proximity (by which rule Foothill JC would get the best treatment from me), there's no connection.

Nobody at T&FN ever attended Stanford (although I did give a guest lecture there a couple of weeks back). Indeed, three of the four editorial staffers spent time at other Pac-10 (err, 8) schools and could even be expected to have some kind of Conference antipathy towards the Cardinal.

We treat all programs with the same journalistic detachment. And we're very critical of Stanford's stance as the poster boys of the anti-Regionals crowd.

Does Stanford get more ink than most schools? You betcha. And so does Arkansas. And South Carolina and LSU. And so did UCLA and USC in the 60s and 70s. If people make news, we're there.
gh

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:47 pm

>>I'm not a big Stanford fan [are you allowed
>to
>say that on a T&FN board?], >>

I don't
>know if that was a throwaway line or if you're
>serious, but what would lead anyone to believe
>that Stanford gets special treatment from T&FN?

Since you asked, how about that cover with Stember, Jennings, and Riley. An even better example is all the "ink" Jennings has received. His stupid trip south has received far more coverage than Justin Gatlin ever got for setting an NCAA record and winning all his NCAA titles and winning his indoor world championship gold.
Stanford is a great program, and I suspect its slight overexposure is as much the result of your U.S. bias (they win with Americans) as your local bias. Also, I'm sure it's easier for you to cover their meets and interview them when they're in a bordering town, rather than across the country. But many (including this humble poster) feel that the overwhelming talent in the SEC gets short shrift compared to the Cardinal.

Postby Oletimer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:13 am

Since you asked, how
>about that cover with Stember, Jennings, and
>Riley.
Stanford is a great program,

The best part of that issue was the picture on the inside cover:LUNN & STEMBER
Oletimer

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:20 am

An even better example is all the "ink"
>Jennings has received. His stupid trip south has
>received far more coverage than Justin Gatlin
>ever got for setting an NCAA record and winning
>all his NCAA titles and winning his indoor world
>championship gold.

I threw coconuts at Gabe. That boy just ain't right!

Postby dl » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:52 am

We've had several features/updates on Justin Gatlin within the last year. This claim is simply not true.

It should also be noted that Gatlin has only competed in 4 meets since last year's NCAA outdoor champs.
dl

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:55 pm

If verbaige on the internet counts as "ink" then my claim is true. Even if it doesn't, I bet over the years you've had more mag ink on Jennings than on Gatlin. Unfortunately I don't have the time to collect statistics that show so. Jennings damn sure never set any NCAA record (in a standard individual event) and more than likely will never win a world championship.

Part of the Stanford focus could be the general focus on milers. Can you believe that Webb has been on more covers than Gatlin has?! I think it's 3 covers for Webb and zero for Gatlin, although I may have missed one. That's just wrong. And I thought tfn favored college competition over hs.

Postby gh » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:31 pm

<Part of the Stanford focus could
>be the general focus on milers. Can you believe
>that Webb has been on more covers than Gatlin
>has?! I think it's 3 covers for Webb and zero
>for Gatlin, although I may have missed one.
>That's just wrong. >>

Absolutely positively 100% for sure a "bias" towards milers. Not only admit to that, will shout it to the heavens.

While T&FN tries to cover all events (when's the last time you saw any other magazine give any ink to a woman's hammer thrower?), there are definitely those that get preferential treatment, and right at the top of the list is the one that sells best and that's the men's mile. Newsstand sales are directly related to who/what's on the cover and milers are an easy sell. You think it's a coincidence that Runner's World has so many smiley hot chicks on the front page?

ps--something Gatlin has that no Stanford person has? A 2-page spread in the center of the magazine. Note that when we initiated that afeature this year he became one of the very first to be so honored. We stand in awe of his talent.
gh