National records progression book

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

National records progression book

Postby Powell » Fri May 11, 2007 9:48 am

Thought some people may be interested in a book that was recently published in Poland (in English). It lists the progression of national records for all standard Olympic events, except racewalking, for 30 of top T&F countries (the countries were selected based on how good they are in all events across the board, so there is no Kenya, Ethiopia or Jamaica, but it has all the top Euro nations, USA, Brazil, Canada, Australia, China, Cuba, South Africa etc.) The progressions are generally listed since 1912 in men's events and since 1926 in women's.

I have no personal connections to the publishers of the book, but if anyone's interested in ordering it, you can try contacting the author at jwasko@zke.com.pl

Here's the cover:
http://ifnt.fizyka.amu.edu.pl/tw/la/graf/rrek-v1.jpg
And BTW, the Polish statistical committee site has a good list of stats books with contact addresses you can use to order them:
http://ifnt.fizyka.amu.edu.pl/tw/la/books.htm
Powell

Postby MJR » Fri May 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Wow, great resource!

Pretty ironic that they'd exclude the RW, when there are no Polish athletes in the modern era worth a bag a donuts besides Robert Korzeniowski. Talk about burying your head in the sand to ignore the only thing you are good at.
MJR

Postby midnightsun » Fri May 11, 2007 5:06 pm

MJR wrote:Wow, great resource!

Pretty ironic that they'd exclude the RW, when there are no Polish athletes in the modern era worth a bag a donuts besides Robert Korzeniowski. Talk about burying your head in the sand to ignore the only thing you are good at.

Not sure what you mean by "modern era", but how about Irena Szewinska for starters?
midnightsun

Postby MJR » Fri May 11, 2007 6:14 pm

midnightsun wrote:Not sure what you mean by "modern era", but how about Irena Szewinska for starters?

Basically, when they were allowed to be professionals and not forced to get under the table payments.

Thanks for the education (I had to Google her), as she seems to have been a tremendous athlete & a great career. She's arguably the women's version of RK in Poland.
MJR

Postby Powell » Sat May 12, 2007 2:43 am

One other feature of the book that I forgot to mention is a list of the 30 best NRs in each event as at the end of 1940, 1960, 1980, 1990, 2000 and 2006 (these lists include all countries, not only those for which progressions are given).

And yes, I personally would like to see the walks included, but I guess the authors were either uninterested, or unable to get the information... The book does have its shortcomings (don't expect it to be researched anywhere nearly as well, or to be as detailed, as ATFS's WR progression books), but it's a good resource all the same.
Powell

Postby Powell » Sat May 19, 2007 1:26 pm

I couldn't find this thread on the Collectors board. I was about to ask why it was deleted, and now I see it's in the Historical section... Is there any particular reason why it got moved?
Powell

Postby Mennisco » Sun May 20, 2007 5:42 am

MJR wrote:[be professionals and not forced to get under the table payments.

Thanks for the education (I had to Google her), as she seems to have been a tremendous athlete & a great career. She's arguably the women's version of RK in Poland.

Huh? Whoever he is, he's nothing in stature or accomplishment compared to her. I can absolutely guarantee you that if a poll was taken [and answered by those who love and know track and field] re: greatest track athletes of all time, she'd be at or near the top, and he'd be undetectable. :D

Even Marion Jones cannot compare with Szewinska in terms of Olympic accomplishments, nor can Flojo, Evelyn Ashford, Marita Koch, Barbel Wockel, Valerie BH, Fanny Blankers-Koen, or Betty Cuthbert.

Szewinska:
200 - Entire medal set - Gold 68 [World Record] , Silver 64 [World Junior Record], Bronze 72
400 - Gold 76, World Record 49.28 [smashing the existing mark by half a second]
100 - Bronze 68
Long Jump - Silver 64 [World Junior Record]
4x100 - Gold 64 [World Record]

First woman under 50 seconds to boot, and the conqueror of double Olympic gold medallist Renate Stecher in the 74 Euros.

What other athlete has won Olympic medals in 3 different individual track events, plus a field event, plus a relay?

btw thanks Powell for the link to the book, I've been looking for something like this for too long .
Last edited by Mennisco on Sun May 20, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mennisco

Postby bad hammy » Sun May 20, 2007 6:31 am

midnightsun wrote:
MJR wrote:Wow, great resource!

Not sure what you mean by "modern era", but how about Irena Szewinska for starters?

Not quite Szewinska's stature, but what about multi-WR holder and Oly gold medalist Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz?? Surely worth at least two bags of donuts!!
bad hammy

Postby gh » Sun May 20, 2007 11:38 am

Powell wrote:I couldn't find this thread on the Collectors board. I was about to ask why it was deleted, and now I see it's in the Historical section... Is there any particular reason why it got moved?

It's getting about 10x the viewership here.
gh

Postby eldrick » Sun May 20, 2007 11:44 am

bad hammy wrote:Not quite Szewinska's stature, but what about multi-WR holder and Oly gold medalist Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz?? Surely worth at least two bags of donuts!!

if you ever see his winning 5.78wr jump in moscow again, you'll be amazed !

he looked like he pushed off right from the very tip of the pole & at the time i didn't think it was possible for anyone to use a pole any better ( & therefore jump higher ) !
eldrick

Postby Powell » Sun May 20, 2007 10:45 pm

gh wrote:It's getting about 10x the viewership here.

Oh, OK, if that was the motivation behind it, thanks.
Powell

Postby Powell » Sun May 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Mennisco wrote:
MJR wrote:Thanks for the education (I had to Google her), as she seems to have been a tremendous athlete & a great career. She's arguably the women's version of RK in Poland.

Huh? Whoever he is, he's nothing in stature or accomplishment compared to her. I can absolutely guarantee you that if a poll was taken [and answered by those who love and know track and field] re: greatest track athletes of all time, she'd be at or near the top, and he'd be undetectable. :D

I have to say I was shocked to read that someone who has been into T&F for a good while had to google Szewinska. But than again, Korzeniowski's four individual Olympic golds must count for something.
Powell

Postby AS » Sun May 20, 2007 11:25 pm

Haven't they had a HTer of note in recent years (on the women's side at least)?
AS

Postby Powell » Mon May 21, 2007 12:42 am

Szymon Ziolkowski and Kamila Skolimowska were both Olympic champions in 2000. Ziolkowski also won the world title in 2001 and WCh bronze in 2005.
Powell

Postby Powell » Mon May 21, 2007 1:58 am

And on my personal list of the best Polish athletes ever, Szewinska and Korzeniowski would be immediately followed by Józef Schmidt. After that, I'm not sure about the order, but a few names who I would consider for places near the top are Bronislaw Malinowski, Zdzislaw Krzyszkowiak, Janusz Sidlo and Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz.
Powell

Re: National records progression book

Postby Powell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

I recently got a new edition of the book. It's now been updated with the record progressions up to the end of 2012, and a few more countries have been added (incl. Jamaica). A very nice resource for all the T&F stat freaks.
Powell

Re:

Postby Olli » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 am

Powell wrote:
I have to say I was shocked to read that someone who has been into T&F for a good while had to google Szewinska. But than again, Korzeniowski's four individual Olympic golds must count for something.

Come on, there is no entrance exam in joining this message board. Perhaps the Poles have been less visible recently. But for someone such as me who began to follow T&F in the 70s, Poland has an image of quite a prominent T&F nation. Several champions not yet mentioned pop into mind, such as Komar and Sarul and, above all, Majewski in shot put, Wszola in high jump, Slusarski in pole vault, Zdzislav hoffman in triple jump (very impressive in Helsinki 1983). Plus several good runners such as Grazyna Rabstyn (sp.?), Marian Woronin, Henryk Szordikowski, Zenon Nowosz...

But, admittedly, except for Majewski, these are names of the past for younger T&F fans.
Olli

Re:

Postby Per Andersen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Powell wrote:And on my personal list of the best Polish athletes ever, Szewinska and Korzeniowski would be immediately followed by Józef Schmidt. After that, I'm not sure about the order, but a few names who I would consider for places near the top are Bronislaw Malinowski, Zdzislaw Krzyszkowiak, Janusz Sidlo and Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz.

Well, I once had the autographs of Kazimierz Zimny, LJers Henryk Grabowski and Kazimierz Kropidlowski + Marian Foik :)
Per Andersen

Postby Powell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 am

Hey, I just wanted to tell you about the new edition of the book, not restart the whole 6-year old discussion of the history of Polish T&F :P
Powell

Postby dbirds » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Powell,

I couldnt get the links to work. Do you have any others?
dbirds

Postby Powell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 am

Some info on the website of the Polish federation (in Polish):
http://pzla.pl/index.php?_a=1&kat_id=4&_id=6866

Otherwise, it's best to contact the author directly at: rwasko@onet.eu
Powell

Postby tc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 am

The book's author, ATFS member Janusz Wasko, is one of the sport's most respected historians. He recently co-authored a great compilation of 100-deep world lists for women for every event for each year from 1921-1960. Nothing approaching its thoroughness had even been attempted before.

This latest work can be obtained by writing to Janusz at Aleje Wyszynskiego 28/48, 22-400 Zamosc, Poland, or at rwasko@onet.eu. The price is 30 Euros, including postage. The equivalent is $40 USD. At the moment, personal checks and PayPal are not an option. If I learn otherwise, I'll re-post here.
tc