Montgomery Pleads Guilty, Avoids Trial [46 Month Sentence]

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Montgomery Pleads Guilty, Avoids Trial [46 Month Sentence]

Postby EPelle » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:10 pm

As mentioned in the Graham story, but developed further here:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.c ... 367&tref=y

Prosecutors plan to introduce bank records, phone records, Federal Express records, evidence from search warrants, witness testimony and the defendants' own statements to establish "an explicit agreement" with the New York group to launder millions of dollars, court records say.

Montgomery's attorneys plan to ask potential jurors on the first day of the trial whether they are aware that he is an Olympic gold medalist and former world record holder in the 100-meter dash.

They are "public figures whose reputations have been besmirched and livelihoods impinged by the mere allegation of criminal activity," the defense attorneys wrote in a court filing.
Last edited by EPelle on Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
EPelle

Postby Speedbuff » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:35 pm

I think that all of three of them are going to jail. Most of the others involved in the scheme have already accepted plea bargains and are going to cooperate and testify against Montgomery, Riddick and Alexander. These three are toast. They have obviously turned down plea bargins already and now it's simply about trial and possible sentencing. Doesn't look good to me.
Speedbuff

Re: Riddick, Montgomery Laundering Case Underway Tuesday

Postby tandfman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:19 pm

EPelle wrote:
Montgomery's attorneys plan to ask potential jurors on the first day of the trial whether they are aware that he is an Olympic gold medalist and former world record holder in the 100-meter dash.

They are "public figures whose reputations have been besmirched and livelihoods impinged by the mere allegation of criminal activity," the defense attorneys wrote in a court filing.

Well, if I were the prosecutor, I'd love that. I'd make sure that the jury learned that Montgomery is a former world record holder not only because someone has run faster, but also because he was stripped of all recognition of that performance as a result of a doping offense.
tandfman

Postby Mennisco » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Speedbuff wrote:I think that all of three of them are going to jail. .

Can a jail field a 4x100 team in a meet? "In lane 1, in the stripes, ......."
Mennisco

Postby gh » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:17 pm

I believe that over on the historical side we've done the all-gray-bar relay squads a few times.
gh

Postby doug091463 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:15 am

no amount of money is worth the time they are facing. i could never serve on a track stars trial as a few month's ago there were a group, one a track star and i was sick and disgusted of what this person was accused of, but i was sad when the conviction came in and i did not want the sentence to ruin this persons life, so i dont know why but i convinced myself they got the wrong person as everyone i have met in track seem like great people, maybe i have issues but i dont think i could convict a track star who has not done anything to me personally, especially if it were a girl. as in the previous case, however i do think the 3 if they got money dishonestly should give all of the dishonest money to charity.
doug091463

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:07 am

Montgomery pleads guilty:

http://dailytimes.com/wire.lasso?report ... OMERY_PLEA

By TOM HAYS
Associated Press Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Olympic gold medalist Tim Montgomery pleaded guilty Monday in connection with a multimillion-dollar bank fraud and money laundering scheme, his lawyer said.

Attorney Robert McFarland declined to discuss details of the plea. The U.S. attorney's office had no immediate comment. (more)
EPelle

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:13 am

We:ll see if Riddick still holds this tune following the Montgomery plea:

"I feel like I haven't done anything, so I feel confident about it,'' Riddick told ESPN.com. "It'll probably run a couple weeks. Then, I'll be glad when it's over so I can get back to track and field business."

###

The Virginian-Pilot reported that Montgomery:s attorney said Montgomery pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit bank fraud.

###

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.c ... 59&tref=po

Montgomery pleaded guilty in Manhattan U.S. District Court to three felonies: conspiracy to commit bank fraud and two counts of bank fraud, according to his attorneys. Sentencing was set for Nov. 1.

“I sincerely regret the role I played in this unfortunate episode,” Montgomery said in the statement released this morning by the attorneys. Background: Money laundering trial set to begin for former NSU track star, coach

“I have disappointed many people and for that I am truly sorry. I look forward to moving past this event and being a positive influence in my community in the future.”
Last edited by EPelle on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPelle

Postby Novitiate » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:16 am

Any Marion believers still out there?
Novitiate

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am

Marion Jones may still have to show for the trial as a witness. One of the checks Alexander wrote on the 850.000-USD account was made out to her for 25.000-USD – a check which was endorsed and deposited into her account, but never paid out due to the 850.000-USD check not clearing.
EPelle

Postby mojo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:47 am

So will pleading guilty get him a shorter jail sentence?
(I imagine it will but I don't know much about this sort of thing).
mojo

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Montgomery faces between 37 to 46 months in prison according to his lawyer, William Alcott.
EPelle

Postby Speedbuff » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Three plus years in prison is a very long time. Tim's life will never be the same. He did not cooperate as a part of his plea bargain. The Bloomberg link is below:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home
Speedbuff

Postby jammin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Since Marion's coach will obviously get busted, who will she run to now?
jammin

Postby EPelle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:59 am

Who:s to say she will return? Married life, a child, 30+ years of life - half of which has been spent on the track, and a good excuse to retire before Graham:s trial.
EPelle

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:11 am

I wonder if Monties child support checks will continue to come in with him in the slammer?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:12 am

doug091463 wrote:no amount of money is worth the time they are facing. i could never serve on a track stars trial as a few month's ago there were a group, one a track star and i was sick and disgusted of what this person was accused of, but i was sad when the conviction came in and i did not want the sentence to ruin this persons life, so i dont know why but i convinced myself they got the wrong person as everyone i have met in track seem like great people, maybe i have issues but i dont think i could convict a track star who has not done anything to me personally, especially if it were a girl. as in the previous case, however i do think the 3 if they got money dishonestly should give all of the dishonest money to charity.

I agree with you, you should never serve at a track stars trial.
SQUACKEE

Postby EPelle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:59 am

SQUACKEE wrote:I wonder if Monties child support checks will continue to come in with him in the slammer?

I imagine they would through a social service, and she:d get that through a victim:s fund?
EPelle

Postby Pego » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:55 am

SQUACKEE wrote:I wonder if Monties child support checks will continue to come in with him in the slammer?

LOL.
Pego

Postby tandfman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:12 am

Speedbuff wrote:Three plus years in prison is a very long time. Tim's life will never be the same. He did not cooperate as a part of his plea bargain. The Bloomberg link is below:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

I know the quoted article says that he did not cooperate as part of the plea bargain. But I don't know how the reporter could be sure that this is true. I can easily imagine that part of the deal was that his cooperation would not be made public. I've no idea, of course, what the deal really was, but I doubt if anyone else does either, other than the parties.
tandfman

Postby malmo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 am

EPelle wrote:Montgomery faces between 37 to 46 months in prison according to his lawyer, William Alcott.

This will mean minimum security, which means unfenced and outside of the main prison facility. He'll have a weight room, a library, a recreation room, movie nights, and might even be able to play in an organized softball league in the local parks and rec department. He'll have a paid job, most likely grounds keeping/maintenance work. Some might call it a paid vacation.
malmo

Postby EPelle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:11 am

Some might call it a Swedish vacation!
EPelle

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:17 am

Speedbuff wrote:Three plus years in prison is a very long time.

Especially when you have a toddler. I assume he get parenting time as the father despite their split.
Daisy

Postby bad hammy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:34 am

malmo wrote:
EPelle wrote:Montgomery faces between 37 to 46 months in prison according to his lawyer, William Alcott.

This will mean minimum security, which means unfenced and outside of the main prison facility. He'll have a weight room, a library, a recreation room, movie nights, and might even be able to play in an organized softball league in the local parks and rec department. He'll have a paid job, most likely grounds keeping/maintenance work. Some might call it a paid vacation.

You make it sound so fun I think I'm going to go out after work today and wash some money . . .
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:38 am

bad hammy wrote:
malmo wrote:

You make it sound so fun I think I'm going to go out after work today and wash some money . . .

And dont forget all the sex you want!
SQUACKEE

Postby mojo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:45 am

Wow- from a world holder to a convicted felon.

As someone said his life is in ruins.

And he has only himself to blame.

SQUACK- :roll: :roll: :twisted: :x :? :shock:
mojo

Postby Track fan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:27 pm

gh wrote:I believe that over on the historical side we've done the all-gray-bar relay squads a few times.
It could be quite good maybe beat Brutals alltime relay squads. We got Hary, Hayes, Monty and Simpson. Could challenge his all SWAC or SEC teams.... :roll: :lol:
Track fan

Postby malmo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

bad hammy wrote:
malmo wrote:

I know someone who did 3 months in Federal minimum security. He said it was the best Summer vacation he ever had. If I knew someone in the movie business we could make millions making this true-story comedy. The story is funnier than "One Flew Over..." and saturated with social commentary.

I case you're interested, they won the softball league championships.
malmo

Postby jrun » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:

You sure about that?
jrun

Postby Speedbuff » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Tim will not have a weight room available at a minimum security facility. There is a saying that "inmates don't do the time, their families do." His entire family will suffer greatly. His mom, dad, son and the rest of his family will be greatly effected by his very poor decision. A federal camp does have a sports complex with lots activities including softball, soccer, football and basketball leagues, but three years is a very long time no matter how you slice it. He was very stupid to become involved with this illegal scheme and he will regret it for the rest of his life.
Speedbuff

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:17 am

jrun wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:

You sure about that?

Oooooooohhh yeesss, quite sure.
SQUACKEE

Postby tandfman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:36 am

The issue isn't getting all the sex you want; it's getting all the sex your cellmate wants. :)
tandfman

Postby Mennisco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:40 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
jrun wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:

You sure about that?

Oooooooohhh yeesss, quite sure.

Well he can train for it:

http://www.audiocomedy.net/fakeads/sodomizer.shtml

1) click on "Launch this file by clicking here"

2) click on "Download this file" It then opens in quicktime [no pun]

This works too:

http://members.fortunecity.com/bwjokes3/index.htm
Mennisco

Postby Mennisco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:05 am

malmo wrote:
I know someone who did 3 months in Federal minimum security. He said it was the best Summer vacation he ever had. If I knew someone in the movie business we could make millions making this true-story comedy. The story is funnier than "One Flew Over..." and saturated with social commentary.

Why don't you write the script, and submit it with the laugh track?
Mennisco

Postby Jnathletics » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:54 pm

Mennisco wrote:
Speedbuff wrote:I think that all of three of them are going to jail. .

Can a jail field a 4x100 team in a meet? "In lane 1, in the stripes, ......."

I smell a Jericho-esque squel coming on. :D
Jnathletics

Postby malmo » Wed May 16, 2007 11:09 am

malmo wrote:

What he said:

[Conte] did not find it too bad. “Federal prison camp is like being on a cruise,” he said. “Only you can’t get off. They have Starbucks, the food is good. For me it was like vacation, for my family it was like hell.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 795754.ece
malmo

Postby tafnut » Wed May 16, 2007 11:41 am

malmo wrote:Montgomery . . . have a weight room,

How ironic - he'll have plenty of time to get big, legitimately.
tafnut

Postby malmo » Wed May 16, 2007 12:20 pm

tafnut wrote:

TOE? That's not irony.
malmo

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed May 16, 2007 12:33 pm

malmo wrote:
tafnut wrote:

TOE? That's not irony.

My all time fav. irony. The twilight ep. where the book worm just wants to be left alone to read. He's the only survivor of a nucular war and just as he settles in to read he breaks his coke bottle thick glasses.
SQUACKEE

Postby tafnut » Wed May 16, 2007 1:27 pm

malmo wrote:
tafnut wrote:

TOE? That's not irony.

In denotation you are quite right. In common usage, anything that used to be called 'poetic justice' is now labeled 'ironic'. Don't shoot the messenger. I teach my students to respond to language and shape it to their needs. I needed 'ironic' :wink: more than 'poetic justice', but I repeat, in denotation, you are correct, sir. Is that wishy-washy enough for ya?
tafnut

Next