first 16 footer -- Stacy or Svetlana?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

first 16 footer -- Stacy or Svetlana?

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:37 am

Both should get 16' this summer, but who first? Stacy is much older, and has much more polished technique. I think she's nearing her peak, but certainly has a few more inches in her. Svetlana is a raw talent with ragged technique and thus more room for improvement. Also much younger. In the end, she'll go a lot higher than Stacy, but she's going to have to improve her technique a little to get that sixteen footer. So it's kind of a toss up. My guess: Edge to Svetlana.

Re: first 16 footer -- Stacy or Svetlana?

Postby WK » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:40 am

On the other hand: the new peg specifications (see other thread) give the edge to more polished technicians. So that would favour Dragila. Or maybe even one of the other young Russians or Germans?
WK

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:44 am

Good point. Did you see Svetlana's 15'9" at worlds? Incredibly explosive take-off (one of her great strengths)and on the way up, she looked like she'd clear by a mile. But, as usual, she didn't get a good vertical position, flattened out on top, and barely scraped over. This is not good short-peg technique? She'll be dragging the bar off on a lot of otherwise good vaults. But with some technical improvements (should be manageable for a GREAT gymanst, as she was) she'll pop over 16' with ease.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:45 am

Good point. Did you see Svetlana's 15'9" at worlds? Incredibly explosive take-off (one of her great strengths)and on the way up, she looked like she'd clear by a mile. But, as usual, she didn't get a good vertical position, flattened out on top, and barely scraped over. This is not good short-peg technique! She'll be dragging the bar off on a lot of otherwise good vaults. But with some technical improvements (should be manageable for a GREAT gymanst, as she was) she'll pop over 16' with ease.

Postby gh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:58 am

Yeah, Feofanova looked great on the way up, but that's only part of the game. Here's what I wrote in the last issue of T&FN (after multiple watchings of slo-mo film from several cameras, and having been in the arena to watch it live):

"....reclaiming the WR from the American on a 15-9 (4.80) second vault that found her whacking the bar severely.

Slo-mo replays from the mini-cam on the standards showed just how lucky the Russian had been. On the way down she bent the bar several inches with her thighs and it began to flick high off the pegs. But then…! Feofanova’s chest hit the crosspiece at just the right angle/speed and it dropped dead on the pegs."

It was one of the luckiest vaults I've ever seen. But having said that, I think--despite being a monster Dragila fan--that Feofanova will end up on top by the time the year's over.

The one thing Dragila has going for her in the race to 16 is the difference in seasons. She'll probably have a half-dozen high-level U.S. meets in which she'll have chances for high heights before the Russian is able to shake off the Siberian snow and move outdoors for her first meet.

gh
gh

Postby MJR » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:59 am

Watch out for Amy Linnen. She has a habit of making huge improvements and has the height, strength & form to be over 16 really soon.
MJR

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:12 pm

I'm a "monster Dragila fan" too. Fantastic competitive history. Very surprised to see her bomb out at worlds -- uncharacteristic of her. Any known explanation? Of course, pole vault is a very tricky event, and a nh is always a possibility, even for the best vaulters. A lot of things have to go right just to get over any height at today's international elite levels.

But Feofanova has won my heart too. She's brought a wilder style to the event that is exciting and points the way to the future. She vaults with abandon, and when combined with a more precise technique, we'll see some big vaults. She may be a little small to get 5 meters, but I think it's a possibility over the next few years.

Postby dl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:03 pm

Linnen was slightly hurt at NCAA Indoors and hasn't competed since, as far as I know. More on Amy's injury in the upcoming May issue.

Dan Lilot
dl

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:41 pm

is this event machure yet? like 400 hurdles has been womens race for twenty years and seems verry lame still. will we still talk about stacy and svetlana soon? they set world records but are they memorabl?

Postby oldvaulter » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:53 pm

As for the maturity of the event -- definitely not there yet. I'll be posting some interesting statistics soon which illustrate how far the women still have to go in the vault to catch up with the men. (Preview: I think a woman will have to vault about 17' to be Bubka-equivalent.)

But as for the event's memorable performers, Stacy will be remembered as the event's first big star. Especially if she gets 16'. All those big meet wins, first Olympic champion, world records, and great personality have put the event "on the map". She's personally had a big role in the event's great popularity. (But we shouldn't forget early pioneer Emma George, the event's first 14 footer AND first 15 footer! No man can claim a such a feat in the event. But the late, great John Pennel set world records at 16'3" and 17'10.5" -- pretty good spread! Pennel was an amazing athlete. I saw him juggle a roll of athletic tape with his feet while standing on the ground hopping back and forth from one foot to the other. Try it!)

This forum is a little too much fun. Isn't there something else I was supposed to do today?
oldvaulter

Postby Bob H » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:46 am

>Good point. Did you see Svetlana's 15'9" at
>worlds? <

Yes, and I also saw Dragila attempting 16' in Boston. No very close misses, but many of the needed elements were there and you could readily see the potential for her vaulting that high.
Bob H

Postby vaulter83 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:25 am

If Dragila can ever fix her takeoff she'll easily be over 16'. Feofonova has one of the best takeoffs I've seen but her height could be a limiting factor on getting on longer poles. Of course whos to say she can't jump 16' on 4.30s.
vaulter83

Postby gh » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:41 am

oldvaulter said:
>I'm a "monster Dragila fan" too. Fantastic
>competitive history. Very surprised to see her
>bomb out at worlds -- uncharacteristic of her.
>Any known explanation? >.

I don't claim much knowledge about the technical side of vaulting but after the meet one coach who was sitting on that side of the arena told me that it looked as if she was a full yard off stride at her final checkmark on her final try.

I do know that on each of her three vaults she planted, Rocked back ever so slightly, then just rode the pole into the pit, never getting within 10ft of the bar. She looked at her pole sorta with that befuddled look you get when you show up with a knife for a gunfight.
gh