More Mel Renfro

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

More Mel Renfro

Postby gh » Thu May 29, 2003 7:31 am

In my "favorite trivia" topic I noted that Renfro had a WR plaque in the 4x1. Can you name the other three guys on the team?

Two were NCAA individual champions in two other events each and the third joined Renfro as an all-pro DB with the Cowboys.

--

ps--i won't risk the ire of the board by putting a baseball question up as its own thread, but i heard this gem recently: who's the only guy in major league history to wear his birthday on the back of his uniform?
gh

Re: More Mel Renfro

Postby trackstar » Thu May 29, 2003 8:05 am

I don't really know, but I'll go out on a limb and guess one of them was Cornell Green.
trackstar

Postby gh » Thu May 29, 2003 8:23 am

No, but Green is another interesting multi-talent. He didn't even play college football (Utah State) but was a two-time basketball All-America who hooked up with the Cowboys as a free agent.
gh

Postby MDC » Thu May 29, 2003 9:29 am

I figure that two of the three have to be Jerry Tarr and Harry Jerome, probably a thread unto himself.
MDC

Postby dj » Thu May 29, 2003 11:43 am

The DB was Mike Gaechter, although I doubt he made all-Pro.
dj

Postby Guest » Thu May 29, 2003 12:56 pm

I don't know where one would find a list of all the allpro teams, but a quick hit on google turned up this quote from Gaechter's hometown paper

<<Gaechter excelled in the NFL, and he was an All-Pro strong safety in 1965.  "It was a nice honor … we had one of the best defenses in the league, which helped me a lot," he said.  >>

Lots of credentials grow in the telling of course.