mo and tim hurting sport

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

mo and tim hurting sport

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 11:06 am

i have been reading track and field news for 13 yrs and i can't help but notice when most of the writers scold the top athletes for ducking each other. maurice greene and tim montgomery are the most recent pair. maurice started his season at mt sac, but prefered to go to a small meet in martinique than the penn relays where montgomery competed. then he took off for ywo wks while monty competed in mexico city and osaka (the site where maurice has competed in the past). maurice went to oregon this weekend, but he will not stay there for the next meet, the pre classic where montomery headlines the field. greene willbe in la at the start of june, but monty will be in europe for a meet of two prior to the usatf meet. with greene holding a bye for paris i bet he will compete in the 200 while montogery tries to make the team in the 100. amazingly they will not meet each other in the 100 meters on us soil this year ! even in europe after the usatf they will try to duck each other. this is similar to maurice and mj before, lewis and mj, lewis and powell etc. nobody said they have to compete against each other risking injury, but once in a while would be good...

Re: mo and tim hurting sport

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 5:09 am

in a sense this ducking is a little bit like boxing...

you can look at it in two ways...

the drama builds towards paris, where BOTH should be in top form, and the tension of the story is greater. If they'd run against each other bewteen now and then, there'd be less tension.....

right now, greene needs to focus on regaining his dominating form... can he or can't he is a big unknown question...

throw gaitlin and chambers into the mix, and the summer will be quite an interesting sprint summer.

Postby el-supremo » Mon May 19, 2003 6:28 am

Thanos is right on, as is AZ. T&F is much like boxing - and look at where boxing is at now...
As long as athletes (and there associated egos) dictate when/where they will run/jump/throw, our sport will not draw fans from the "outside". Meets with multiple 100m finals, 1500/mile races, and 800m/1000m races to allow athletes to avoid each other only hurt the sport. Why is NASCAR so popular? Same guys week in/week out competing head-to-head. I'm not a huge MASCAR fan, but it is obvious that NASCAR - not the drivers - run that sport. Perhaps we would all be better if T&F had NASCAR's marketing arm and management.

Thanos's "ducking" point also may be a reason track nuts like myself find the weight events so enjoyable - they don't duck each other - just bang heads every week like they actually ENJOY it. I say let the weight guys/gals run the 100m from now on - now that would be fun.
el-supremo

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 6:49 am

i take the ducking with a grain of salt...

basically enjoy the preliminary nature of the early t&f season in the states, and the transitioning to the euro season, where it's the paychecks driving a lot of the competition..

but this years, it's Paris, where my attention will be fully focused.

and that's where it counts, where it'sut up or shut up...

and everything, for this year at least, gets settled there..

win in paris and you can brag until athens..

or set a world record, and you can brag too

Postby jsquire » Mon May 19, 2003 7:00 am

Right on. While Ovett, Coe & Aouita ducked each other regularly in the early 80s, it's pretty harde to imagine them doing that now. There are at least three meets (WC/OG, Weltklasse, GP Final) where you can count on the top guys to show up. And with the WC & OG coming up three out of four years, Americans have to run against each other at the USATF meet.
jsquire

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 10:55 am

And throw the Olympic trials into that mix too.

Sacramento had a really positive track&field environment with good knowledgeable fan attendance.

Mixing in the need to be top 3, I find the trials to be really compelling.

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 11:02 am

I have a justifiable and simple theory on Mo and Tim "ducking" each other--that meets can no longer pay both mo and tim.

Do you ever see #1 and 2 at the same meets anymore, outside of a championship final? Just a theory. Peace.

Postby bubba » Mon May 19, 2003 12:49 pm

sure. on the men's side you see the guys in the 110h, pv, tj, shot, and with some regularity the 800 going toe to toe each week.

110s has got to be the winner of the least ducking award. these guys absolutely beat on each other every week during the GP season. PV is probably second.
bubba

Postby sl » Mon May 19, 2003 2:28 pm

>sure. on the men's side you see the guys in the
>110h, pv, tj, shot, and with some regularity the
>800 going toe to toe each week.

110s has got
>to be the winner of the least ducking award.
>these guys absolutely beat on each other every
>week during the GP season. PV is probably
>second.

But the world's fastest 100 man commands a lot more money per appearance. Most people go to work every day because that's what's required to pay the bills. For Mo and Monty that's not the case. Personally, I think there's a happy medium somewhere between constant ducking and what the 110H guys do, but I admit to being a fan who only half pays attention to the NBA or MLB until playoff time arrives. Competitions that really matter are what fire me up. Hence I'm really looking forward to the Nationals, Paris and whatever European meets cough up the cash to bring all the sprint heavies together. Watch out for Gatlin!
sl

Postby magpie » Mon May 19, 2003 5:40 pm

could the examples of otc and pre have anything to do with the fact that greene is on adidas's payroll and monty is on nike's?
magpie

Postby jsquire » Tue May 20, 2003 4:48 am

Do you ever see
>#1 and 2 at the same meets anymore, outside of a
>championship final? Just a theory. Peace.

Golden League. Seven times a summer, plus GP final.
jsquire

Postby Guest » Thu May 22, 2003 11:57 pm

in my original post i obviously did not suggest that tim and mo should run against each other every weekend. that would not make sense plus they would risk getting injured and missing the big meets. but they have overdone it. right now with mo in poor form and tim slightly injured, neither of them would be the favorite to win. that has happened often in the past when the attention was focused on two runners and nobody else. michael johnson predicted that neither might win the worlds this year. of course this is premature since there are 3 months left...

Postby Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 12:22 am

none of dem wanna see me dis summer

Postby Conway » Sat May 24, 2003 6:02 am

I think Mo and Tim are a product of their environment ... With the sport now being professional, money becomes the ruling factor in several ways ...

US meets really can't afford to pony up the money for BOTH athletes ... And ego won't allow either to take a pay cut ...

Part of the determining factor for what an athlete is "worth" is his/her ranking status ... And ranking is tied to wins and loses ... Hard for an athlete to risk loss when that could affect his bottom line ...

Not like the "good old days" when the money wasn't flowing and what you ran for was reputation and satisfaction ... Much more on the line now when an athlete gets in the blocks ... So the decisions have to be much more calculated given that live span at the top for the average athlete is fleeting at best ...
Conway