track coaches

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

track coaches

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 1:45 pm

could anyone give me some name of some track coaches in the atlanta, georgia area that are good at coaching the 400m.

Re: track coaches

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 3:12 pm

That would depend on the competitive level of the person seaking coaching. At the collegiate and elite level there's Grover Hinsdale at Georgia Tech (has coached the last 2 400m hurdle Olympic champions and many Collegiate All-Americas) and probably Loren Segrave (has a private coaching group- former LSU coach).

At the youth/high school level the best bet is likely http://www.quicksilvertrackclub.com/

Marietta HS?

Postby BillVol » Tue May 20, 2003 7:25 pm

http://www.marietta-city.k12.ga.us/mhs/index.asp

Atlantan, who coaches Marietta HS? He must be doing something right. They've won a couple of state titles the last few years. Jonathan Fortenberry of South Carolina is a Marietta alum, I believe. Plus, that Marietta track is the nicest HS track I've ever seen. It is nicer than most college tracks. Mondo, all the bells and whistles and even a steeplechase pit. They really went all out with their new school.
BillVol

Re: Marietta HS?

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 8:10 pm

did "they" go all-out, or is this one of the legacies of the Olympics?

Postby Guest » Wed May 21, 2003 1:53 am

They went all out . All the Oly tracks are in downtown/Midtown. Marietta HS is in the 'burbs.

Postby BillVol » Wed May 21, 2003 5:36 am

That's right. Olympics had nothing to do with it. I think it was an ego thing for Marietta City Schools system. MHS is the only Marietta City Schools-run high school in Cobb County. All the other high schools in the county are run by Cobb County Schools. So they went nuts with the new MHS. Plus Marietta is a very proud city -- right next to Atlanta but with its own identity. They couldn't give a crap about Atlanta. Also, there were no Olympic events in Cobb County because of the gay thing.

The track is not the only facility at MHS that is first class. All the other facilities are just as nice. The school itself is gorgeous, state-of-the-art. The whole complex topped $60 million.

Anyhow, is the coach at MHS a good one, Atlantan?
BillVol

Postby Guest » Wed May 21, 2003 11:33 am

I basically don't follow HS track so I don't know how good most coaches are. Only if someone has produced lots of college recruits over a fairly long period of time do I know about them and even then my knowledge is pretty thin. The QuickSilver coaches are related to SW Dekalb and have produced a ton of kids and the Wheeler coaches have consistently produced top notch recruits.