Webb Update?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Webb Update?

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 8:44 am

What is the latest on Webb? I haven't seen any news for at least a few weeks. The last I remember seeing were a couple low key training races. Is he scheduled to run at Pre? Hopefully he will be running some 8s like he did in highschool.

Re: Webb Update?

Postby tandfman » Sat May 17, 2003 10:06 am

Last night, in Atlanta:

Men 1500 Meter Run

1 Brendon Mahoney, Georgia Tech 3:46.74
2 Dan Wilson, Asics 3:46.92
3 Alan Webb, Nike 3:47.59
tandfman

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 12:19 pm

Is he training straight through these competitions right now? While some people are waylaying him with complaints about his running, if he's training straight through with no rest for the races, then he's doing OK. (Didn't he double in this meet, also running the 800 for work?)

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 12:21 pm

he sucks ok. Whether he is 'working through' it or not he is not getting any better. Nike wasted their money

Postby el-supremo » Sat May 17, 2003 5:30 pm

Sounds like a little "miler envy" there - last time you ran 3:47 was......?
el-supremo

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 7:55 pm

>Last night, in Atlanta:

Men 1500 Meter
>Run

1 Brendon Mahoney, Georgia Tech 3:46.74
>
2 Dan Wilson, Asics 3:46.92
>Alan Webb, Nike 3:47.59

Not very good. What is most concerning is his losing in relatively slow times. Two years ago he was looking very strong with great change up in the late stages even off of a fast pace. Now off a relatively slow pace he is losing. It seems like the losses may be getting into his head. For what ever reason he isn't finishing like he had in 01.

I hope he gets those legs moving faster soon. It would be very hard for him to recover from another disappointing year.

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 9:38 am

people like to kick people when they're down...

However, it would appear to me, physical injury, has been followed by some element of doubt...

let's see what he's doing in a month...

I thought I had read Webb wasn't even going to Europe this summer, except in the case he made the World team?? And then only to pursue the A standard??

Krummenacker made a really insightful statement yesterday about the 4 years of growth POST college.

Perhaps stardom and pressure have gotten to Webb..

..perhaps not.

seems to be a real fast rush to judgment here...

Postby el-supremo » Sun May 18, 2003 11:08 am

You're right on AZ - too many "experts" and not enough optomists - how many of these same guys wrote off Bob Kennedy, whose 28 flat already this year is a great comeback story.
el-supremo

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 12:06 pm

The last time I went to an optomist he told me I needed new glasses.

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 4:38 pm

Forget the World's A standard or 800s, has Webb even qualified for USATF 1500?

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 6:23 am

>people like to kick people when they're
>down...

However, it would appear to me,
>physical injury, has been followed by some
>element of doubt...

let's see what he's doing
>in a month...

I'm not trying to "kick him when he's down" however when attemptiong to look at it objectively there is an obvious difference from where he was as a h.s. senior. From what I've read his injury problems are six or more months behind him. While I don't know what his specific long term plans are, it would be a much better sign if he was winning slow races showing a flash of that great leg speed than losing slow races.

It was the loss of leg speed that cost him last year and is apparently the problem again. I sincerely hope they have a plan to get that high end miler's gear back!

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 6:45 am

I'm NOT privy to any inside info regarding Webb, and I'd agree, his recent results are NOT all that promising...

whether it's physical or mental or both who knows...

and how long will it last...again who knows with certainty...

from what I had read, his base work from late winter through spring was very good...

sure there's been a ton of hype, and I think there are some people relishing his lack of success...

if nike pulls the plug on him then we know it's over...

right now he's an investment for them, and the objective measure, other than the real results on the track, will be the willingness of nike to continue sending him a paycheck.

Postby jsquire » Mon May 19, 2003 6:56 am

From another perspective, Webb undoubtedly did the best thing for himself financially. While we can speculate about the future, there was no guarantee that $250,000 would ever be offered to him again.

If you had just finished your freshman year in college, and someone offered you a cool quarter mill, would you have turned it down?

That said, I think he made a poor choice for his running career.
jsquire

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 8:30 am

We agree. I certainly hope he pulls it together. I think he made the right decision. I don't think cross country was going to help him. I think he was smart going back to a system that had worked for him in the past. And, yes, the $250k helps.

His Arcadia mile was the most impressive high school mile I've ever witnessed. His last 250m. was phenomenal - it was like he was starting from scratch. He obliterated one of the best high school fields ever put together. Then to follow up with that 3:53 - it was magic. His national's performance was also very impressive, though he was a bit disappointed. He obviously is talented and I hope they have something left in the hat to bring him back to form. I'm sure his confidence could use a boost.

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 10:30 am

I'm still wondering whether he has qualified for nationals. Did his indoor mile do it? Also, he never predicted anything great before outdoor nationals, so he hasn't failed yet. I'm a fan of his and I hope he kicks ass this summer, but can he even enter nationals?

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 11:00 am

I looked at the standards on the usatf site and I don't believe he's met them yet.

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 11:55 am

In 2001, Ryan Hall ran the equivelant of 4:00 for the mile and he qualified for nationals.

AS for Webb's performances so far this season... obviously he's not in 3:53 shape yet, but it's too early to write him off like some of you are. Remeber that by this point in the 2001 season he had not run any faster than he has as of yet this season... and I would venture to guess that he isn't planning on peaking in May this time around

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 12:39 pm

But in '01 he was winning, granted against high school kids but he was winning and winning very impressively at every distance from 800 - 3200. He was also showing great finishing speed. Does anyone have the splits from Friday's Atlanta meet? I'd like to see what the last 400 was.

I'm far from writing him off but thought that he would be performing a little better by this time of the year. He doesn't seem to be improving over where he was several months ago indoors.

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 12:55 pm

here's the qualifying standards...

http://www.usatf.org/events/2003/USAOut ... ards.shtml

I don't believe Webb has quite met them

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 1:02 pm

He has the b standard in the mile.

Postby MJD » Mon May 19, 2003 1:33 pm

MJD

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 3:28 pm

Great link. Wouldn't it be ironic if a high schooler beats him?

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 5:23 am

informed sources have webb being the guy who'll pace magness and mcgrath to sub fours....

...well we can have a sense of humor can't we...

back to webb meeting the B standard...

I'm NOT quite sure what the B standard means at nationals...

If 24 guys meet the A standard, then isn't the B standard irrelevant?? I know 24 haven't met the A standard..

anyway, any help on this matter would be appreciated by me.

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 7:13 am

Since they extended the qualifying period, Webb's 3:41 endeavour last year should qualify him.

Postby bubba » Tue May 20, 2003 7:24 am

Last Friday Webb looked a little flat but he did a lot of work in the race once he saw the pace was slow. Leaders were through 400 ~61 and 800 2:04-5.
bubba

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 8:52 am

>Last Friday Webb looked a little flat but he did
>a lot of work in the race once he saw the pace
>was slow. Leaders were through 400 ~61 and 800
>2:04-5.

So did he lead? If so, when?

It appears he is using these races as time trial workouts. However, it would seem of more value to build confidence again by hanging and kicking. The times are relatively slow anyway. Why not try to blaze the last 2-300m.? Maybe put the win with a good finish as a priority rather than leading early to try to run a time that is irrelavant?

It easy to armchair quarterback. I hope they are on schedule and he's just doing strength work now with speed working coming soon. But, it's going to have to be one hell of a peak if he's going to get back to where he was in '01. Then again he had one hell of a peak in '01...time will tell.

Postby bubba » Tue May 20, 2003 10:55 am

Mahoney led most of the race (early and then late) but Webb was in front for the toughest part- 800-~1250. As I said before, he looked flat when Mahoney passed him. Just didn't have the pop. Neither did Wilson really, he just had more than Webb.
bubba

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 12:32 pm

>Mahoney led most of the race (early and then
>late) but Webb was in front for the toughest
>part- 800-~1250. As I said before, he looked
>flat when Mahoney passed him. Just didn't have
>the pop. Neither did Wilson really, he just had
>more than Webb.

For some reason that's been the way he's been racing lately. He always takes the lead early, terrible strategy if he's going for the win especially if he has the speed he did in '01.

I'm wondering if this is by design - to keep the workload high, as in a time trial with little concern about the victory. Or, if he is lacking confidence in his finish so he's trying to run the legs off of the others. I hope its the former - he's just trying to get in a good workout and the loss is not a concern to him at this stage with more speedwork to come later.

Postby Guest » Wed May 21, 2003 5:12 am

I'd think if Webb is focusing on Paris, he's still transitioning from base training towards speed work.

Cyril, we'll get the answer to your question by the time nationals conclude.

Postby jsquire » Wed May 21, 2003 5:54 am

I'm wondering
>if this is by design - to keep the workload high,
>as in a time trial with little concern about the
>victory.

There's another guy who trained like that going into his first international championship. His name was Peter Snell. I am not, however, ready to draw any other parallels between the two or their coaches.

Only in America do we require our distance runners to be at a high level so early in the season. The USATF meet should be in July, during the GP break.
jsquire

Postby Guest » Wed May 21, 2003 7:19 am

Only in America do we require our
>distance runners to be at a high level so early
>in the season. The USATF meet should be in July,
>during the GP break.

When comparing his level to the level of many of the international competitors - he is far behind. Even the 15 last week in Oregon was quite fast. This isn't to say that his training won't put in the thick of things in a couple of months. It is a long summer and if they are looking at July/August for fast races then, yes, this is very early, even preseason.

I agree the USATF should be later in the summer. The GP break would be the perfect time.