USATF Announces “Zero Tolerance” Anti-Doping Action Plan

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

USATF Announces “Zero Tolerance” Anti-Doping Action Plan

Postby bhall » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:00 am

bhall

Re: USATF Announces “Zero Tolerance” Anti-Doping Action Plan

Postby tafnut » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:07 am

I esp. like this:
"Call for an emergency drugs in sports summit inWashington, D.C. USATF has called for a summit of major U.S. sports leagues and proposed the meeting be hosted by the Drug Czar’s office."

It is going to be very easy to criticize this as shutting the barn door after etc., but NOW is the time for EVERYONE to get on board with this multi-faceted initiative, and demand results. Lip service time is over.
On the other hand, wait until the first elite athlete gets the 'one strike and yer out' call. Lawsuits galore.
tafnut

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:15 am

I have just read the entire Plan, and I will say, hurrah. A very good initiative boy USATF, and smart PR as well.

For many years I have known various past and present USATF National Office personages both personally and professionally. THESE ARE GOOD PEOPLE that love the sport just as much as we do.

Let's try to rally behind USATF in their efforts rather than being critical. We are all on the same side of this battle.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Alexander » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:44 am

Statement from the plan:
"USA Track & Field athletes are among the most tested athletes of any sport or sports team in the world. We expect our athletes to be tested more than 1300 times by USADA in 2003, a 20% increase over 2001, with more than 50% of those tests expected to be conducted out-of-competition (compared to 21% in 2001 – the number of out-of-competition tests has tripled between 2001 and 2003). In addition, athletes are subject to IAAF and WADA testing. In 2002, USATF athletes were tested 414 times by the IAAF (377) and WADA (37), with 67% of those tests being conducted out-of-competition"
There are about 90 000 tests conducted on track&field athletes in the world each year, 50 000 being out-of competition tests (the only way to do it!)
The statement tells us that USATF athletes were tested out of competition less than 250 times in the year 2001. On average you had one out-of-competition test for each 1.2 million inhabitants. The global average is 1 test per 120 000 inhabitants. That is 10 times more than the US. The nordic european countries do 1 out-of competition test for each 20 000 people. That is 60 times more testing than the US.

You´re good and going the right way, but you are nowhere near the "most tested athletes in the world"

Good Luck!
Alexander

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:50 am

alex, the USATF statement said AMONG THE MOST tested, not THE MOST ..... they are just sincerely saying that they have been trying.... which they have, IMHO.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:50 am

>>There are
>about 90 000 tests conducted on track&field
>athletes in the world each year, 50 000 being
>out-of competition tests (the only way to do it!)
>
The statement tells us that USATF athletes were
>tested out of competition less than 250 times in
>the year 2001. On average you had one
>out-of-competition test for each 1.2 million
>inhabitants. The global average is 1 test per 120
>000 inhabitants. That is 10 times more than the
>US. The nordic european countries do 1 out-of
>competition test for each 20 000 people. That is
>60 times more testing than the US.>>

Your source for these numbers?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:53 am

"THESE ARE GOOD PEOPLE that love the sport just as much as we do.

Let's try to rally behind USATF in their efforts rather than being critical. We are all on the same side of this battle. "

hjsteve - I agree.

Postby Alexander » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:43 am

You´re perfectly right 6 5.5 hjsteve - I was a bit too hasty and rude, but I actually mean that the direction is right and it seems like you´re moving fast. Great increments from 2001 to 2003!

For the Really Curious: They are crude numbers from IOC, IAAF and WADA sources - there were approximately 140 000 international dopingtests in 2002. Sixty percent were done in track&field, twenty percent in swimming and two-thirds of these were done out-of competition. There are 6.2 billion people in the world, 290 million in the US and 22 million in the nordic european countries...

Still,
Good luck!
Alexander

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:53 am

>For the Really Curious: They are crude
>numbers from IOC, IAAF and WADA sources - there
>were approximately 140 000 international
>dopingtests in 2002. Sixty percent were done in
>track&field, twenty percent in swimming and
>two-thirds of these were done out-of competition.
>There are 6.2 billion people in the world, 290
>million in the US and 22 million in the nordic
>european countries... >>

You are makign the assumption that the testing is done at an equal rate based on population when in reality the tests are biased towards elite athletes so since USA has most elite athletes it gets not only most tests but also probably close to the hihgest percentage as well. Probably excluding the nordic countries.

Postby Alexander » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:04 am

Well, actually in those countries that take T&F seriously the amount of elite athletes and success are strongly related to their population, especially in the physical events. Those that take technical coaching seem to be somewhat overrepresented in the western world.
Those nordic countries are the MOST overrepresented T&F nations by the success-to-population standard (counting out the infamous GDR). Tiny Sweden with 9 million people took five medals in Paris.
Tests are for sure done mainly on the elite athletes everywhere else too
Alexander

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:59 am

The IAAF rules call for EVERY country to have out-of-competition testing but the USA is among the very few that actually follow the rule and have year round testing. But you never hear Dick Pound get on everybody else's case.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:17 pm

I like the tougher tone by USATF, but any time you have "fines up to $100,000" language the proof will be in the actual punishments. I only hope the focus is not soley on Steriods, but also includes other stimulants, etc.

As with any problem, knee-jerk reactions and solutions are usually too narrowly focused. A lifetime ban for steriods is a good start, but how about the athlete caught 2 years from now with extremely high levels of ?? stimulant who wins the World Championships in 2005. I hope lifetime bans are extended to other blatant forms of cheating as well.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:01 pm

I'm going to wait a good while before I decide if this will do anything or not. It could be USATF's version of Watergate (a scandal that led to real changes) or it could be USATF's Iran-Contra (a scandal that had no lasting effects whatsoever). They'll show their true colors in a few years when the heat is off; if the past is any guide they'll still be more interested in producing a champion team than an honest one.