Chambers named

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Chambers named

Postby AS » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:49 pm

UK's top sprinter in positive drug test

Dwain Chambers, the fastest man in Europe and one of Britain's main hopes for an Olympic gold medal next year, has tested positive for a new banned designer anabolic steroid and could face a life ban from the sport. Britain also faces being stripped of the 4 x 100m silver medal it won at the world athletics championships in Paris in August as Chambers was part of the team....

See more at http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/s ... 04,00.html
AS

Re: Chambers named

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:28 pm

one down 19 to go

Postby michael lewis » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:38 pm

And Chambers has the same coach as Kelli White.
michael lewis

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:46 pm

well when will she and other athletes from remy's camp be named. i cant wait

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:44 am

Hypocrites all over the world get lost. They should retest for adrostenedione and Norbolethone and then lets talk again about "the honour of our country and the glory of sport"...

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:26 am

>And Chambers has the same coach as Kelli White.

I wonder if he still sports his ZMA hat?
MJD

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:44 am

thought his homepage was interesting >>>>

http://www.dwainchambers.com/

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:52 am

Christie Gaines has the same coach too. I really liked both Christie and Kelly. Bummer!!!!!!!!!!

Postby michael lewis » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:26 am

"Christie Gaines has the same coach too. I really liked both Christie and Kelly. Bummer!!!!!!!!!!"

My suspicion has been for years that very few women can actually run sub-11 on their own merits alone. Without any unnatural advantages I don't think we'd see very many sub-11s out of Europe and some from African-American women though fewer than we have. I don't mean to imply Christie is using anything and I hope she isn't. But I do think we have a date with reality somewhere in the next few years where we have to adjust to slower times. Good!
michael lewis

Postby Utah » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:37 am

Looks like Chambers shut down his website.
Utah

Postby Zat0pek » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:16 am

I know this is going to sound nuts (in addition to being incredibly naive and overly optimistic), but I hope they find positives for nearly every medalist in every event at the World's and a lot of current record holders. Why?

Because this situation needs to hit absolute rock bottom before it can be fixed.

In psychology, there is the concept of the "theraputic moment", that point at which things finally crash so badly that someone is forced to confront the problem. You see this with alcoholics and addicts; it usually takes something dramatic to force them to confront their problem, often after years of being addicted. That's what this sport needs. A theraputic moment.

Then, wipe out the world records and start all over again.
Zat0pek

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:18 am

Agree with Zat0pek;

The problem we are facing is so big that an avalanche of positive tests is needed to wake people up.

One alternative to wiping the record books clean: reinstate the records from 1960.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:23 am

>>One alternative to
>wiping the record books clean: reinstate the
>records from 1960.>>

What a great idea! Bikila, Snell, Hayes, Ryun, Oerter, Keino, Brumel. Buncha dirty dopers who never shoulda been allowed anywhere near the recordbook!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:25 am

I agree with AYSM above. It ain't gonna happen. Picking 1960 as the cutoff point is utterly arbitrary. Why not roll the record book back to 1912 and REALLY clean house? Ridiculous.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:31 am

So what's the evidence the Snell used illegal drugs?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:36 am

I guessed this was the excuse they'd come up with.
http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2003/1022/1644051.html

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:43 am

No Name: I believe that AYSM's comments above were ironic. Not much need to worry about Mr. Snell & co.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:02 am

Oh, my mistake. 1960 was obviously an arbitrary pick on my part; many people feel it is basically the end of the era before athletes started using drugs.

Maybe it should be an earlier date; I just feel that it would unfair to alot of the athletes who competed 40 years ago and more to expunge them as well.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:15 am

But this whole exercise of trying to "purge" the record books is doomed to failure. Sure, we "know" or can guess that some records are bad. (Legal proof, however, is much harder to come by than simple hunches or intuition.) However, some records may well have been set by "drug-users" when such use was completely LEGAL. As I've observed elsewhere, the use of performance enhancing substances of one form or another goes WAY back. The two greatest runners of the 1880s were both employed in the pharmacy trade and knew, for example, about stimulants. The REAL history of all this stuff may never be written...but its clear (to me at least) that the historical use of "supplemental" substances is more complex than we currently know, and that there is NO clear dividing line between "dirty" and "clean"--whatever line there is is in a vast margin of grey. In short: I see no fair way of pretending we can fully "cleanse" the record books.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:20 am

<But this whole exercise of trying to "purge" the record books is doomed to failure. Sure, we "know" or can guess that some records are bad. (Legal proof, however, is much harder to come by than simple hunches or intuition.) However, some records may well have been set by "drug-users" when such use was completely LEGAL. As I've observed elsewhere, the use of performance enhancing substances of one form or another goes WAY back. The two greatest runners of the 1880s were both employed in the pharmacy trade and knew, for example, about stimulants. The REAL history of all this stuff may never be written...but its clear (to me at least) that the historical use of "supplemental" substances is more complex than we currently know, and that there is NO clear dividing line between "dirty" and "clean"--whatever line there is is in a vast margin of grey. In short: I see no fair way of pretending we can fully "cleanse" the record books. >

Not that we are saying that they used performance enhancing drugs in the last century. But when you say the two greatest runners of the 1880s, I presume you mean Lon Myers and Walter George?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:22 am

Yes I do.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:34 am

Kuha1 - thanks. I should have said 19th century in my posting, of course, not the last century. I guess I am still stuck in the olden times; or alternately my "velocity" is so great that by moving faster than light, I returned on the previous night!