Favourite and lest favourite exercises in the gym?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Favourite and lest favourite exercises in the gym?

Postby big mac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:35 am

You know one or two things about working out you actually enjoy... surely. But other things you loathe. So tell me ...

Favourite exercise:
Least Favourite excercise:

My least would probably be hang snatches or abdominals
Favourite, back squats and heavy single rep jerks off the rack
big mac

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:42 am

pull ups hurt alot. i like bicep curls. isnt that the one exercise over done by most gym rats? or is it the bench press?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:11 am

Least favorite: either of the two aerobic exercises I do (elliptical, stationary bike) because they take so long and are tedious beyond belief. :x Watching DVDs helps. Actually, the bike is the worst because it hurts my butt.

Most favorite: the hamstring stretch, which is the very last thing I do to end every workout. :wink:
bad hammy

Postby The Kitchen Cynic » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:32 am

Favorite: Bending down to extract a cup from the cup-holder at the water cooler, when I'm finished exercising. The knowledge that the quenching of thirst is imminent creates a real high.

Least favorite: Trying to get all my clothing into the locker at my health club, especially in the winter, when I've got to fit a heavy coat in there.
The Kitchen Cynic

Postby maggot » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:05 am

Favorite: elliptical trainer
Least: curls
maggot

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:32 am

Favorite: The Whirlpool Tub when I'm done

2nd favorite: Running on the Indoor Track

Least favorite: Everything else
dukehjsteve

Postby nevetsllim » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:49 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Favorite: The Whirlpool Tub when I'm done

2nd favorite: Running on the Indoor Track

Least favorite: Everything else

Favourite is going on the treadmill or anything which makes your legs stronger

Least favourite are the steppers as they are so boring
nevetsllim

Postby DrJay » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:05 am

When I was rock climbing a lot (B.K. i.e. before kids) pullups were one of the staples of my gym routine. It was my most and least favorite exercise. Most because it helped. least because it was so painful. I'd do them to failure, rest two or three minutes, do another set to failure, etc, then stop when I couldn't do more than about eight. Usually six or seven sets. One time I managed 27 in the first set. These days the upper bod has atrophied and I'd be lucky to do a ten. Some of the Alan Webbs and Gabe Jennings of the climbing world (you can be sure, there are a lot more Gabe Jennings in the climbing world than there are in the running world) can probably do 60 to 80 at a pop. One I know locally (way further out in left field than Gabe; in fact, on a different planet) did 1000 in a day in little sets of 3 to 10.
DrJay

Postby tafnut » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:19 am

I do 3 sets of 10 different things in the Weight room MWF and I don't love or hate any of them, but when I run on TThS, I HATE aerobic runs and I LOVE anaerobic runs (even the ones that hurt). My favorite is 4x200H even though I'm dead afterward. The only time I can 'tolerate' a 3-mile run is on a particularly pretty day, and then it's just good to be alive and ABLE to run (which I have learned to NEVER take for granted!) 8)
tafnut

Postby mojo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:06 am

I have always disliked weight training but did it as an athlete because it is crucial and do it now because "it is good for me" :roll: :roll It is suppose to slow down the ineveitable saggy which is still occurring anyway. :twisted:

I hate hate hate deadlifts and just dislike everything else. :?

I'd much rather be out in the fresh air by myself walking or running. 8)
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:07 pm

Actually, in between the aerobic stuff up front and the stretching at the end, I really like the weight room part of the workout. It is very relaxing and very helpful. I grow hernias just looking at free weights, but the machines work well for me. I have about 18 different weight exercises I try to do three days a week. The only free weights I work with are for wrist curls and for squats. I started about a year and a half ago and it has made a huge positive difference.
bad hammy

Postby mojo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:22 pm

But you are still a ,oops, have a bad hammy. :cry:

I belong to an all women's gym which eliminates alot of odors at least. :P
mojo

Postby big mac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:46 pm

I absolutely hate deadlifts as well like mojo, don't do them, I think I've deadlifted 4 times before. I tried it when I was 16 and did 400lbs and said I have alright dead strength. I did a pull to belly button with 440 and thats about all I'll do. Powercleans fill the void, I'm going for the years goal of 330 next week. I may even try 340 :P

I have a love hate relationship with bench press. I'm not that good at it, but sometimes I like doing it. But I much prefer lifting weights overhead.

Curls I never do, never seen the point really, my biceps grow from all the other stuff I do. Besides, my shoulders are so big, wearing a sleeveless shirt to show off my arms looks weird, I'd need 21 inch bis not 18 to look proportional.
big mac

Postby big mac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:48 pm

tafnut wrote:I do 3 sets of 10 different things in the Weight room MWF and I don't love or hate any of them, but when I run on TThS, I HATE aerobic runs and I LOVE anaerobic runs (even the ones that hurt). My favorite is 4x200H even though I'm dead afterward. The only time I can 'tolerate' a 3-mile run is on a particularly pretty day, and then it's just good to be alive and ABLE to run (which I have learned to NEVER take for granted!) 8)

Doing 3 sets of 10 all the time is not a good way to train, it works, but not for prolonged periods of time. Try 4 sets of 8, 5 sets of 5 etc for a month. I would guarantee if you go back to 3x10 after that you'll either feel better or be stronger.
big mac

Postby tafnut » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:08 pm

big mac wrote:Doing 3 sets of 10 all the time is not a good way to train, it works, but not for prolonged periods of time. Try 4 sets of 8, 5 sets of 5 etc for a month. I would guarantee if you go back to 3x10 after that you'll either feel better or be stronger.

I didn't mean I do 3 sets of 10 REPS; I meant 3 sets of 10 different exercises. I vary the reps depending how close I am to 1RM. Never less than 5, never more than 15. I'm not trying to add bulk; I'm trying to maintain strength across the board. No PRs anymore for moi!

I also vary the routine. Typically I'll do a routine for 3 or 4 months, get stale and change it up. I'll replace leg press with half squats, chin-ups for curls, bench for push-ups, dips for pull ups, leg lifts for crunches, etc.
tafnut

Postby big mac » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:36 pm

tafnut wrote:
big mac wrote:Doing 3 sets of 10 all the time is not a good way to train, it works, but not for prolonged periods of time. Try 4 sets of 8, 5 sets of 5 etc for a month. I would guarantee if you go back to 3x10 after that you'll either feel better or be stronger.

I didn't mean I do 3 sets of 10 REPS; I meant 3 sets of 10 different exercises. I vary the reps depending how close I am to 1RM. Never less than 5, never more than 15. I'm not trying to add bulk; I'm trying to maintain strength across the board. No PRs anymore for moi!

I also vary the routine. Typically I'll do a routine for 3 or 4 months, get stale and change it up. I'll replace leg press with half squats, chin-ups for curls, bench for push-ups, dips for pull ups, leg lifts for crunches, etc.

Ah my bad! Good on you then!
big mac

Postby Kevin Richardson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:37 am

Favorite gym exercise is inclind bench press. Least favorite would have to be squats. Favorite running exercise is definitely short intervals (I love the feeling of moving "fast"). Least favorite running exercise is stretching during warm-ups. I have no intellectual rationale for any of these beyond the one listed,
Kevin Richardson