Carlius Dead

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Carlius Dead

Postby Quick Silver » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:41 pm

WMA Secretary and former President Torsten Carlius has suffered a fatal heart attack in Shanghai. He was presumably visiting his son, who lives there. One hopes he wasn't tempted to go for a run in Shanghai's noxious air.

Quick Silver
Hong Kong
Quick Silver

Postby TrackCEO » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:04 pm

I've been Torsten's biggest critic for eight years. My take is here:
http://masterstrack.com/blog/archives/000565.html

I liken his death to the passing of Yasser Arafat. Time for World Masters Athletics to open up and grow more democratic.

K E N
TrackCEO

Postby MOT » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:08 am

I understand the point you are trying to make, Ken. I don't know anything about Carlius's management style. Assuming that what you say is entirely correct, you have good reason to hope that his successor will do certain things differently.

But I would be careful about making analogies to Yasser Arafat. The late PLO leader presided over a state that tolerated and, at times, encouraged terrorism directed against innocent civilians. The many people who thought of Arafat as a murderer were not wrong. Carlius may have been a dictator, but for all of your allegations of micro-management, suppression of dissent, and conflicts of interest, you have not alleged that anything he did actually killed anyone.

I am sure you did not intend this, but by even mentioning Arafat in this context, you are either trivializing Arafat's evil or grossly exaggerating Carlius's, or maybe both. Neither is appropriate.
MOT

Postby Dutra » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:32 am

TrackCEO wrote:I've been Torsten's biggest critic for eight years. My take is here:
http://masterstrack.com/blog/archives/000565.html

I liken his death to the passing of Yasser Arafat. Time for World Masters Athletics to open up and grow more democratic.

K E N

How about it's time for WMA, or at least you, to acquire some perspective.

The leader of a self important group of over 40 year olds is being compared to Yasser Arafat?

....and you'll probably wonder why I use the phrase 'self important'.

Come down off the pulpit Ken and join the rest of the world. This is masters track and field we're talking about.
Dutra