Worst Alcoholic Drink?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:11 pm

This thread humbles me. The most I ever managed in one sitting was 6 pints (actually half liters) of Czech beer while in the military service or 3 liters of a Hungarian red wine called Bikavér (Bull's blood).

This Sailor's cocktail might be a good induction of Tafnut into the joys of drinking.
10 oz. white wine (riesling)
3.5 oz. Rum
3.5 oz. rasberry sirup
It goes down like a soft drink, but within minutes you go down as well.
Pego

Postby gh » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:51 pm

Egri Bikavér--good stuff!
gh

Postby marknhj » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Sorry taffy but drinking large quantities is not that difficult; my record is 21 20oz pints of Bass - started at lunchtime and just kept going through the evening. I've just remembered my least favorite beverage - port - when I was 17 I drank a whole bottle at a party and puked up on a tube train. It was only a year or two ago that I tried it again.
marknhj

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:20 pm

this is all unproven gossip but, i heard -

bono out for dinner ordering 6 guiness's at a time.

rod dixon's girlfriend stating his average beer intact at 20 a day.

tafnut has pounded 3 rootbeers without spewing!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:29 pm

marknhj wrote:I've just remembered my least favorite beverage - port - when I was 17 I drank a whole bottle at a party and puked up on a tube train. It was only a year or two ago that I tried it again.

Funny how that works. At 18 a buddy and I went wine tasting and came home with, I think, four bottles of fairly good wine. Well, once we polished those off that night we had to have more, so we sent someone of age over to the liquor store. He came back with a couple of bottle of a cheap reisling. Just getting a whiff of it made me spew. Not much of a white wine drinker anyways, but I never have touched a reisling.
bad hammy

Postby trackstar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:47 pm

marknhj wrote: Came home from Berlin a few weeks ago with a bottle of Absinthe - haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know...

Absinthe is fun stuff, but go easy on it -- it can make you real crazy real fast. Proper way to prepare it: put a shot in a glass; set a fork on top of the glass and put a sugar cube on it; pour cold water over the sugar cube into the glass. (Or maybe you put the cold water in the glass and slowly pour the shot over the cube into the glass. Either way works, I suppose, as long as you get cold water, sugar, and absinthe mixed.)

Worst beer I've ever had: Coors. The only beer I can't force myself to drink.

Worst booze: Night Train wine. Oh. My. God.
trackstar

Post subject

Postby Jim Rorick » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:18 pm

"Red Mountain" wine from Gallo was my worst. Puked my guts out (college) after a jug of it. Later talked to a guy who worked at Gallo in the summertime. They took the sediments from regular Gallo Hearty Burgundy and let that settle. The liquid that rose to the top was bottled into a wine called "Ripple". They took the sediment from that and let it settle once again. That liquid became "Red Mountain". Back in the days before Mondavi/Chateau Montalena/Heitz revolutionized the California wine industry. Don't think Red Mountain or Ripple is still around, although Hearty Burgundy still is.
Jim Rorick

Postby wineturtle » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:53 am

[quote="gh"]Egri Bikavér--good stuff![/quote
Hungarian Food
While the spot in SF proper Paprikas Fono(later Big Sky) is closed Paulette and Laszlo Fono have a few spots in the Palo Alto area Babbo's , Bravo Fono,Madame Paulettes and their lovely red haired daughter runs Cafe Andrea- Bulls 'Blood and Laszlos' handmade sausage are a match made in culinary heaven. Paulette is as warm a hostess as you can find anywhere. and although I have not seen Andera since she was a teen I'm sure she is equally charming.
gh I hope you already know of this mini empire!
wineturtle

Re: Post subject

Postby bad hammy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:05 am

Jim Rorick wrote:Don't think Red Mountain or Ripple is still around, although Hearty Burgundy still is.

Ripple - gone. Red Mountain - renamed. Interesting article on 'fine' wines from the past: http://www.azcentral.com/home/wine/arti ... s0729.html
bad hammy

Postby gh » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:09 am

Ever have a garbage-can party in college? (or wherever)

Put plastic garbage can at the front door, and whatever anybody brings they have to pour into the can as they enter. Serve with ladle. !!!
gh

Postby JRM » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:01 pm

MJD wrote:Basically every mainstream USAnian beer.

I wouldn't say "every" mainstream beer. But then again, I suppose it depends on what your definition of "mainstream" is. Maybe thiis quote from GH defines it:

At the end, he was pretty much just standing at the urinal and drinking them there because it was just a continuous flow; in one end and out the other.

Anyway, I agree that Bud, Miller, Coors, and their corresponding "lite" varieties are garbage. However, as I mentioned in my post in the other booze thread, Yuengling Lager is a breath of fresh air, almost like a Canadian style amber.

Speaking of lite beer: why do people go to bars and order (a) lite beer, and (b) lite beer in a bottle (when they have the same variety on tap)? The financial irrationality of this irks me.
:?
JRM

Postby Vern » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Speaking of lite beer: why do people go to bars and order (a) lite beer, and (b) lite beer in a bottle (when they have the same variety on tap)? The financial irrationality of this irks me.
:?
[/quote]

The only important question about any lite beer is how do they get the cat to sit on the bottle.
Vern

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:17 pm

lite beer is for people who dont like beer or who are trying to lose weight. which is fine, just cop to it.
SQUACKEE

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:47 pm

The only important question about any lite beer is how do they get the cat to sit on the bottle.[/quote]

Not a cat, Vern. A diabetic horse.
Pego

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:56 pm

Pego wrote:The only important question about any lite beer is how do they get the cat to sit on the bottle.

Not a cat, Vern. A diabetic horse.[/quote]

if either of these were true i might at least try it. but i believe in all my heart lite beer is the product of prarie dog with a prostrate condition.
SQUACKEE

Postby KevinM » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:55 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
if either of these were true i might at least try it. but i believe in all my heart lite beer is the product of prarie dog with a prostrate condition.

So the prairie dog is always lying down?
KevinM

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:29 pm

KevinM wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:

So the prairie dog is always lying down?

yes! and this little doggies gotta go, go ,go!

if beer is liquid bread, and it is, than lite beer is not even wonderbread, it would be wonder lite.

but i feel for the people how hate real beer but feel compelled to drink it because i myself would choose liver lite if i felt the presure to chomp on that grey lifeless organ.

we do have cheese lite, (processed american cheese crap) and its for little kids and people who dont really like chesse. which is fine.

my passion is good beer and i find it annoying when people pretend to like something that in its purest form they are not at all interested.

does this sound familar?, " oh i love track! i always make sure i catch some of it every 4 years when the olympics are on tv"
SQUACKEE

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 am

'20 stone (320lb)'

Sorry, Mark, but 20 stone is 280 lbs. 14lbs=1 Stone.

By the way, 20 Buds is nothing. I once had 11 Imperial pints of Guinness in Boulder with one very well known UK marathoner and his coach, who both outdrank me by a quite a bit.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby skyin' brian » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:05 am

Conor Dary wrote:'20 stone (320lb)'

By the way, 20 Buds is nothing. I once had 11 Imperial pints of Guinness in Boulder with one very well known UK marathoner and his coach, who both outdrank me by a quite a bit.

ummm...Guninness actually has a lower ABV than Bud so 11 imperial pints(what are those? 20 oz. i think) is actually less than 20 buds.

and for those counting Calories, Guinness actually has fewer Calories than Sam Adams Light in the same sized serving. i think like 127 per 12 oz for sam light and 125 for 12oz of Guinness
skyin' brian

Postby big mac » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:13 am

Bud does not deserve to be talked of in the same sentence as Guinness. :D
big mac

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 am

guinness is a flavorful masterpiece and the pride of a nation. bud is prarie dog piss guzzeled by retarded, toothless, inbred hillbillies.
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:41 am

SQUACKEE wrote:bud is prarie dog piss guzzeled by retarded, toothless, inbred hillbillies.

Don't hold back, squack.
bad hammy

Postby skyin' brian » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:48 am

beers like bud light, etc made me think i did not like beer when i started drinking.

after i had a bit of a taste for beer, Guinness made me think that i didnt care too much for stouts, but i was way wrong again. there are lots of wonderful stouts out there, and Guinness is not one of them. Pasturized, Bland, nitro poured so as to give fake sense of body, and way overrated. it is what you drink if you want to appear to be a beer lover.

ok, im being too hard on guinness, but if im in a crappy bar that only has bud and guinness, well first i go somewhere else, but if the bud is cheaper i may go for the bud
skyin' brian

Postby Vern » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:32 pm

skyin' brian wrote:beers like bud light, etc made me think i did not like beer when i started drinking.

after i had a bit of a taste for beer, Guinness made me think that i didnt care too much for stouts, but i was way wrong again. there are lots of wonderful stouts out there, and Guinness is not one of them. Pasturized, Bland, nitro poured so as to give fake sense of body, and way overrated. it is what you drink if you want to appear to be a beer lover.

ok, im being too hard on guinness, but if im in a crappy bar that only has bud and guinness, well first i go somewhere else, but if the bud is cheaper i may go for the bud

Bud is piss wherever brewed, however stored and wherever drunk.

The quality of Guinness will depend heavily on the above - suggest you try a pint in Ireland, for example.

And Guinness brewed in W. Africa - now the nearest to the original Irish recipe - is appreciably stronger than Bud - 6.8%.

I think squackee was being very restrained.
Vern

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:46 pm

guinness can vary in the states for many reasons. i had one at the brewery in dublin and saw god. it is true you can find american micro-brewed stouts that are more full bodied, more complex than guinness but that doesnt mean this irish stout sucks, does it?
SQUACKEE

Postby skyin' brian » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:50 pm

I would love to try the authentic stuff someday, and am aware of some of the celebrated history behind this, the original stout.

I do stand by the fact, however, that the product we see in the states is nothing special though and i will continue to aviod this beer in favor of better things i can easily buy around here.

and while the evils of drinking bud are quite apparent, i find it far worse that some people like to pay premium prices for the Bud of Mexico(Corona), or a product like Fosters that is every bit as foul as Bud, and is actually brewed in Canada so the big fat can can say "imported" on it but people think it is austrailan.

oh, and a sidenote, my favorite way to enjoy Guinness is at the start of a night of drinking by dropping a shot glass with 1/2 irish cream liqueur and 1/2 irish whisky into a 1/2 pint of Guinness. even if you dont like any of those three ingredients, the "irish car bomb" is a delicious drink to chug.

but yeah, al lthings equal i will tend to support a local brewer.
skyin' brian

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm

id love to get destroyed by and irish car bomb.

sometimes im in the mood for something lite. not lite beer. if its a hundred degrees id go for a beer i could pound and easily enjoy many of them. i was kinda kidding about bud because i do drink them on occasion. and corona. i really like stella atoris from belgium. its poundable.but your right about local beer. for one reason the fresher the beer the better!
SQUACKEE

Postby Vern » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:13 pm

[quoteBy the way, 20 Buds is nothing. I once had 11 Imperial pints of Guinness in Boulder with one very well known UK marathoner and his coach, who both outdrank me by a quite a bit.[/quote]

Welsh, I believe?
Vern

Postby big mac » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:49 pm

Guinness is far from my favourite stout, I prefer Kilkenny and even a NZ made one, but its still a great beer. Stella is cool too. Could drink alot of them.
big mac

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:13 pm

I do stand by the fact, however, that the product we see in the states is
but yeah, al lthings equal i will tend to support a local brewer

I agree with a qualifier. Not all local breweries are good. At the Atlanta trials I ordered a local brew. Horrid!
Pego

Postby twittering debutante » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:21 pm

A little Dab will do ya.
twittering debutante

Postby trackstar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:43 pm

skyin' brian wrote:there are lots of wonderful stouts out there, and Guinness is not one of them. Pasturized, Bland, nitro poured so as to give fake sense of body, and way overrated. it is what you drink if you want to appear to be a beer lover.

Glad I'm not the only person who thinks Guinness is overrated. Although I'd disagree with you about the Bud comment. Mediocre stout is better than the best Bud. As I posted on the parallel thread to this one ("Best Booze"), the best stout I've ever had is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout by North Coast Brewery (california).

As someone else said above, I've heard many, many times that a Guinness poured in Ireland is significantly better than the American version.
trackstar

Postby bad hammy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:52 pm

trackstar wrote:Glad I'm not the only person who thinks Guinness is overrated.

Out of respect for squackee I was going to lay off any comments about Guinness. Let’s just say that it is an acquired taste that I never really acquired, though Lord knows that I tried.

Sounds like we can all pretty much agree that all of the best selling US beer is some form of piss (prarie dog piss guzzeled by retarded, toothless, inbred hillbillies, according to the squack-man. And while Anchor Steam may have been the first real break-out micro-brew here in the US (since it is a local brew I probably had it earlier than most, and there may have been other locales where folks were making equally good stuff at the same time), I’d say that I have had hundreds of varieties of micro-brews over the past three decades, and there is a LOT of great beer being brewed around here.
bad hammy

Postby marknhj » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:17 am

Conor Dary wrote:'20 stone (320lb)'

>>>

Whoops on the math! Been here too long I guess.

Every Boxing Day my family had a tradition (based on hair of the dog) of drinking Black Velvets - 3/4 pint of Guinness topped up with Champaigne. I poured some for American friends last year and they thought it was disgusting.
[/quote]
marknhj

Postby AKMarmoset » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am

Like every true man of the north, I know the value of a good dark brew. I'll put all 11 stone of my weight behind these comments:

Bad Hammy, I am convinced. I must try this Anchor Steam that you keep plugging. Having said that, since this is supposed to be about bad booze, I will put a vote in for the most over-rated micro brew out there - Fat Tire (Fort Collins, CO). I enjoy a good ESB, but bitter is not always better if the beer isn't well-proportioned. Just like a beautiful woman?

Speaking of Colorado brews, I will stand up to defend Coors Original. I spit on any lite brew out there, but Coors Original is a distinct beer and very refreshing on a hot day. I'm not saying it's on the same level as, say, Yuengling (as lagers go), but Coors has a place among its peers

So does Guinness Extra Stout. I don't care much for Guinness itself, but I drink a lot of the extra stout. And while I'm ranting here, why go for Corona when you can have a good Negra Modelo with that taco? Nothing in the world beats a cold Negra Modelo and some pico de gayo while relaxing on a beach in Mexico.
AKMarmoset

Postby bad hammy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:15 pm

AKMarmoset wrote:Bad Hammy, I am convinced. I must try this Anchor Steam that you keep plugging.

. . .

And while I'm ranting here, why go for Corona when you can have a good Negra Modelo with that taco? Nothing in the world beats a cold Negra Modelo and some pico de gayo while relaxing on a beach in Mexico.

First off, I am a fan of Anchor Steam because it seemed to get the micro-brew ball rolling, showing folks that there is such a thing as good beer, and there is a way to make money brewing it. There was a time where I drank it regularly. Personnally, I rarely drink beer these days, and when I do it is usually Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Your comment about Corona reminded me of one of the hard and fast rules of beer: There is no such thing as a good beer sold in a clear bottle. They all look and taste like piss. Almost every good beer (and many bad ones) comes in a brown bottle. A few in green, but zero in clear!
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:18 pm

i love negro modelo. also love bohemia and tecate. i have a lot of love to spread around. if you try some anchor dont pass up their liberty ale.
http://www.anchorbrewing.com/
SQUACKEE

Postby gh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:47 pm

bad hammy wrote:Your comment about Corona reminded me of one of the hard and fast rules of beer: There is no such thing as a good beer sold in a clear bottle. They all look and taste like piss. Almost every good beer (and many bad ones) comes in a brown bottle. A few in green, but zero in clear!

I used to race in a sailboat on the Bay every weekend and there was a hard and fast rule that only green bottles were allowed! Although exceptions were sometimes made for the big brown 633s of Sapporo.
gh

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:11 pm

gh wrote:
bad hammy wrote:Your comment about Corona reminded me of one of the hard and fast rules of beer: There is no such thing as a good beer sold in a clear bottle. They all look and taste like piss. Almost every good beer (and many bad ones) comes in a brown bottle. A few in green, but zero in clear!

I used to race in a sailboat on the Bay every weekend and there was a hard and fast rule that only green bottles were allowed! Although exceptions were sometimes made for the big brown 633s of Sapporo.

i love those big sapporo's and kirin and ichiban's
SQUACKEE

Postby Jefferson Buffalo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:59 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:i love those big sapporo's and kirin and ichiban's

They go great with shoot's and leave's.
Jefferson Buffalo

PreviousNext