The Most Annoying Telemarketing Call You:ve Received?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The Most Annoying Telemarketing Call You:ve Received?

Postby EPelle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:14 am

From selling subscriptions to newspapers and telephone plan changes to requesting donations, what is the most annoying T/M call you have received?

What is the latest someone has called you un-announced?

(Off-subject, the most annoying post I have ever seen is someone posting on a site asking how to post messages).
EPelle

Postby slowcoach » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:37 am

Interesting you should mention this because my better half got a cold call a couple days back from a cleaning company who wanted to demonstrate their services in our house, i.e. vacuum the place. My partner explained that we got rid of our carpets, so there was nothing to vacuum. So they wanted to vacuum our beds! Talk about not taking no for an answer. But here's the kicker: It wasn't a cold call at all. The company had been given our number by (you may have guessed) my partner's sister, who knows we don't have carpets! What an airhead. :evil:
slowcoach

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:37 am

im never on long enough to find out. any phone call that starts with
" mr. c aarr.. nney? HOW ARE YOU TODAY!?

i used to say nicely " no thanks ". now i slam the phone down as hard as i can without breaking it.

i like the guy who was staying at a hotel where there was a telemarketer convention. he found out their room numbers and called then at 3 am to sell them something the didnt need. " hi, how are you doing today. do i know what time it is? of course i do. its time to talk insurance!" :P :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby MJD » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:49 am

I don't really understand the question. Isn't that why we all have voicemail and, before that, answering machines? If I ever do pick up in error because I am expecting a call and someone starts off by asking me how I am, I usually say "That depends."

Three other annoying telephone bits. Business and personal voicemail greetings that you can't bypass and leave a message by hitting pound or a number or something. Some can be as long as a minute. People calling you and announcing the time and date when they leave their message(It's 10am, Tuesday, November 8th, 2005(some idiots actually leave the year). If I really wanted to know, there are buttons that can be pushed. Returning a call where you have asked someone a specific question and you get a call back that says "I'm in now, please call me back." Oh, goodie. Most people are generally mentally challenged when it comes to using communication devices and voicemail. I was thinking of changing mine to ask people NOT to leave the time and date because I already know. There ought to be laws punishable by several years in jail-crimes against common sense. Of course, I try to avoid all of this by just using email.
MJD

Postby EPelle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:57 am

MJD wrote:I don't really understand the question. Isn't that why we all have voicemail and, before that, answering machines? ...

Forgot call presentation - Caller ID - or whichever is the correct name.

We don:t get names of people on our displays, only telephone numbers. I have made the mistake of picking up the line on an "unknown" thinking it could be a European or American call... t/m who called.

My favorite line has been (before this ever made it to the internet as part of someone else:s fav): "Good. Why don:t you give me your home phone number, and I will call you back at 21.00."
EPelle

Postby slowcoach » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 am

EPelle wrote:- Caller ID -

I saved the previously mentioned caller's no under the name: Don't answer!!

But the kids still answer: :roll: "No, my mom's not home right now, but she will be home at 7" :x
slowcoach

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:12 am

Charities that attempt to make you feel guilty.
Pego

Postby MJD » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:45 am

slowcoach wrote:The company had been given our number by (you may have guessed) my partner's sister, who knows we don't have carpets!

Another indictable offense.
MJD

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:12 am

The national No-Call list has helped, but I'm still inundated with calls for money from all the Police Reserves, Police Fraternal groups etc., all with unfamiliar names. When I try to remain polite and say no. they try to lay a guilt trip on me, at which point I hang up. One day, some Police organization had the nerve to CALL ME BACK and start to bawl me out for saying no ! THAT caused a real quick hang-up.
dukehjsteve

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:28 am

they get me at work where i have to pick up. or my son will anwser at home and yell "dad there's someone on the phone for you" i yell back tell them i am dead. i get a kick out of a 8 year old telling this human leech " my dad said to tell you he is dead, goodbye"

it sucks when its my mother who has called :cry:
SQUACKEE

Postby tafnut » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:40 am

I used to just set the phone down and leave the line open, which would prevent them from making another call, but now there's an automatic cut-off. I was thinking about investing in an airhorn . . .
tafnut

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:00 am

dukehjsteve wrote:The national No-Call list has helped, but I'm still inundated with calls for money from all the Police Reserves, Police Fraternal groups etc., all with unfamiliar names. When I try to remain polite and say no. they try to lay a guilt trip on me, at which point I hang up. One day, some Police organization had the nerve to CALL ME BACK and start to bawl me out for saying no ! THAT caused a real quick hang-up.

Once, while visiting my daughter, there was a soliciting call from one of those "police organizations". I couldn't resist the temptation and answered "she is not home, I am just robbing the place". Nothing happened.
Pego

Postby EPelle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:24 am

tafnut wrote:I used to just set the phone down and leave the line open, which would prevent them from making another call, but now there's an automatic cut-off. I was thinking about investing in an airhorn . . .

I wonder if you would get sued for that.
EPelle

Postby Daisy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 am

Once I got a telemarketing call where the put me on hold. No kidding!!! I can only assume they were ringing mutlitple numbers and line them up. BUT WHO WOULD WAIT??????????
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:50 am

try this..

ring ring...HELLO! AND HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

im not wearing any pants.......
SQUACKEE

Postby twittering debutante » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:08 am

As a former advertising telemarketer from the 1980's, when telemarketing was in its infancy, I can attest to being quite a pest.

The best way to get rid of unwanted solicitations, in my opinion, is to grab control of the situation immediately!

I always interrupt and say, "I'm sorry, but I never do business over the phone. My best advice to you, bub, is to KEEP SMILING and KEEP DIALING!"

Then I hang up.
twittering debutante

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:28 am

>"I'm sorry, but I never do business over the phone. My best advice to you, bub, is to KEEP SMILING and KEEP DIALING!" :D <

ok, where is t.d. and what have you done with him? :shock: :?
Last edited by SQUACKEE on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SQUACKEE

Postby EPelle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:46 am

SQUACKEE wrote:ok, where is t.d. and what heve you done with him? :shock: :?

Short weekend trip to CA to meet and greet with Klüft?
EPelle

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 am

EPelle wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:ok, where is t.d. and what heve you done with him? :shock: :?

Short weekend trip to CA to meet and greet with Klüft?

i heard he's giving the key note speech at the miss manners appreciation festival!
SQUACKEE

Postby maggot » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:34 am

I once had a caller who asked if someone named X lived there. When I told him no one by that name did, he asked, "Are you sure?"
maggot

Postby twittering debutante » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:49 am

Many telemarketing stories that I could tell.

At various times I was Johnny Hernandez (New Mexico); Umberto Guerrillmo (Miami); Vito Gaspucci (NYC, Philly, Providence); Sterling Morrison (yuppie personna); Johnny Walker (Texas and the south); Eldon Walker (Utah and Idaho); Johnny Red Cloud (South Dakota); and a few others that escape me.

Y'all should be glad Vito Gaspucci never called you! :lol: He was a freakin' monster!
twittering debutante

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:59 am

Would you believe..... 30 seconds ago I was reading the message just above, when THE PHONE RANG, it was the " Police Protective League" !!! I hung up on them !
dukehjsteve

Postby twittering debutante » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:18 pm

The rule was take seven "no's" before you think the guy wasn't going to say yes.
twittering debutante

Postby lonewolf49 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:47 pm

One of my favorite ploys is to apologize for not having time to talk because the lawyer handling my bankruptcy is on the other line.
lonewolf49

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:36 pm

true story, after hearing the pitch i said "NO" :twisted:

And the telemarketer said immediately, " is that a yes" :D

i swear to god what you have read is true. :shock:
SQUACKEE

Postby twittering debutante » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:57 pm

Nowadays there are plenty of minimum-wage script-reading nimrods who don't have any other job skills to do much other than flip burgers or telemarket.

Back in the day (I was on the phone 1981-87) it was more of a craft, even an art form. I looked at it like a chess game. My style was dry and cynical.

In certain states like Texas, the "reverse psychology" pitch would work.

I'd ask the receptionist "Who is in charge of throwing the company's money away?"

Often, she'd blurt out the name of the company owner.

Then I'd ask the receptionist her name.

Once the owner got on the phone, I'd say, "Marcia tells me you're in charge of throwing the company's money away!"

If the guy laughed or admitted that he was in charge of throwing the company's money away, he was definitely a buyer!

The psychodynamics of selling on the phone were fascinating:

People listened to the cadence of a phone presentation at the same pace a baby listens to its mother's heartbeat while still in the womb.

HOW you said things was more important than WHAT you said.

The person who talked first after you asked for the order and/or a long silence usually lost.

If you could make people laugh and then ask for the order, people often would say yes reflexively.

Only those who could pitch from their heads and not from a script were those who lasted more than a couple of months.

In NYC, Philly, and Providence, the guy who talked the fastest always won. The front talk was, "I know you're busy, just give me a coupla minutes to tell ya why I'm cwollin', and I'll get outta yer hair, OK?" If the guy said OK back to me, he was definitely a buyer.

Most important was the ability to mirror the other's person's speaking style, language, diction, and pace.

Some states like New York and Florida had four or five different accents. It was hard to discern what a native Florida accent was. Northern New England had a very French-Canadian accent that was very difficult to mimic. Rural Mississippi accents (Meridian, MS especially) were very difficult to understand. The Virgin Islands had no idea what the value of an American dollar was. Such mooches!

I made $60K a year working 4-5 hours a day, usually done by the noon hour. My phone book pages were worth far more than their weight in gold. Towards the end of my career, I had permission in writing (contract negotiation ploy by yours truly) from my employer to drive around for 20 minutes at 9:30 AM to smoke a joint so my productivity wouldn't drop.

Ah, the memories ....

But back then there were "virgin towns", cities that had never been telemarketed by anyone before. People would listen, then they'd lay down and buy.

Would I be successful at it now?

No, I would suck as bad as everyone else.
Last edited by twittering debutante on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twittering debutante

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:39 pm

none of this changes the fact that telemarketers are among the most hated ticks who dont have the balls to get a "real" job. :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Postby twittering debutante » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:42 pm

oh, I have a real job now, SQUACKEE.

I'm one of those all-American success stories. :wink:

Just to clarify one thing--I only called business owners. Those in the business who called residences were the real scum suckers.
twittering debutante

Postby Vern » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:29 am

SQUACKEE wrote:none of this changes the fact that telemarketers are among the most hated ticks who dont have the balls to get a "real" job. :twisted:

Well said! Two short words beginning with f and o, and then hang up. They deserve no better.

Edit - td, I mean cold callers to residences!
Vern

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:12 am

if i seem angry :x its because i almost got fired because of these sharks. i was new at this job and we were running out of tape. a telemarketer got thru to me in shipping and said "mr. carvey can we send that tape to you?" :D i figured someone had ordered it and he was asking if now was a good time to ship. :? anyway, when the 5,000 rolls showed up with my name referenced it was in deep sh$#$%!! :shock: had to go " up stairs" to talk to the companys controller. :cry:

they still get thru at my new job and interupt my busy day. and like i said i slam the phone down has hard as ican without breaking. it helps relieve the stress :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
SQUACKEE

Postby twittering debutante » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:57 am

Vern wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
Well said! Two short words beginning with f and o, and then hang up. They deserve no better.

Nah, humor will always win the day over anger.

Keep on smilin' and dialin'--click.
twittering debutante

Postby EPelle » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:02 am

I have heard of some of these comebackers:
Found here...

:: If they call for you to sign up for their Family and Friends plan reply: "I don't have any friends...would you be my friend?" in as sinister a voice as possible.

:: If they clean rugs ask things like: "can you get out blood?", "can you get out HUMAN blood?", and "how about GOAT blood?".

:: Listen to their entire spiel, and feign interest when feedback is necessary (do something else in between). When they're all done and just needed your credit card number to send out the order, ask the telemarketer to marry you. When they refuse, explain you don't give your credit card number to complete strangers...

:: Tell them, in as deadpan a voice as possible, that you're not allowed to have money.
EPelle

Postby gh » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:03 am

I've never received ANY annoying telemarketing calls! Why not? Because as soon as somebody says, "Mr Hill?" I say "no thank you" and hang up. Never have heard a pitch.
gh

Postby bambam » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:14 pm

Yeah, I block those telemarketers pretty quick, like Garry. If somebody starts out the call with "William, ..." I tell them nobody who knows me has called me William since the 1st grade and hang up immediately.
bambam

Postby twittering debutante » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:31 pm

While in my telemarketing prime, a telemarketer for a local home remodeling outfit called me at my home and inquired whether I'd be entertaining any thoughts of spring remodeling.

"Actually, yes, I have," I replied. "I'm thinking of building a subterranean cave under my backyard for my kids to romp around in."

Long pause.

"Additionally, I'd like to crown the top of my house with a geodesic dome . . . you know, like the kind Buckminster Fuller used to design."

Longer pause.

Finally, in a very meek voice, the guy asked, "How do you spell subterranean?"
twittering debutante

Postby bad hammy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:06 pm

MJD wrote:Three other annoying telephone bits. . . . There ought to be laws punishable by several years in jail-crimes against common sense. Of course, I try to avoid all of this by just using email.

OK, getting in on this one late, just trying to figure out why this thread has legs.

First off, like MJD, I do not really have a problem with telemarketers (although his vitriol against folks who leave a time of call goes a little beyond my level of irritation). At home I almost never answer the phone. That is why I bought an answering machine. At work I do answer the phone, but somehow I am almost always away from the desk when the telemarketing calls come through, so it goes to voice mail and is quickly discarded.

Two related annoyances to discuss:

1. The numero UNO problem with voice mail: people who leave a phone number, but read it off so fast that there is no way anyone who does not possess some form of superpower can hear it and transcribe it in one listening. THOSE people ought to be shot.

2. I notice that most telemarketing calls are automated computers now. Come on, folks, if you want to pretend to have a chance at selling me something through a cold-call, get a human on the other end. It won’t work, but at least it shows that you care.
bad hammy

Postby twittering debutante » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:29 pm

Bad hammy, I know you would have fallen for my silver-tongued sales pitch. I would have got you talking about your bad hammy in the front talk, and then I would get the billing info from you.

"I'll send you the bill, bad hammy, and you'll send me all your money. OK then? Alrighty? Okiedokie?"

"Awww ... WELCOME ABOARD Mr. Bad Hammy!"
twittering debutante

Post subject

Postby Jim Rorick » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:31 pm

Swear to God this is true; I was there when the telemarketer called. Guy called friend of mine sometime in mid-80s wanting to conduct a survey. Had some time to burn, so he played along. The first few questions indicated caller was from Scientology (which made lots of calls back in the day-at least in Northern California). About the 6th question was: "What do you do best - start things or finish things"? Light bulb clicked on, my friend replied: "Finish things", and slammed down the phone. Perfect!!
Jim Rorick

Postby EPelle » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:01 am

Have any of you ever received a t/m call from someone you know?

Someone from a delivery company that has brown trucks and brown uniforms called me up back in the day got connected to my line in a completely different department. Was ackward for a moment, as I knew who she was, but not she, I. I had to interrupt her in the middle of her spiel and tell her two things: She had gotten the wrong person, and that I knew her from school.
EPelle

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:46 am

yesterday im at work doing my goddam job when a salesmen opens a side door to our business ( they have these people called receptionist!!) and walks right in spouting his pitch. didnt even knock, just walks right into to private business. we could have had him arrested!

i redirected him in the nicest possible way to the front of the buliding and the RECEPTIONIST!! :x :x :x :roll: :twisted: :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Next