Thursday:s Contemplation

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Thursday:s Contemplation

Postby EPelle » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:58 am

One problem with dreams is that they are just synaptic mind wanderings... gossamer mind fiction. One minute what you believe you can touch, taste and inhale seems so very real. Then the next minute, wham, everything is gone, and you are back in reality.

Is there a dream you can remember which seemed so real that when you awoke you had really convinced yourself your dream was reality?

I dreamt once last week that I won our lottery - that the tv announcer actually called out my name instead of reading numbers. I woke up looking for my ticket when reality caved in.

What:s your story?
EPelle

Re: Thursday:s Contemplation

Postby Pego » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:33 am

EPelle wrote:One problem with dreams is that they are just synaptic mind wanderings... gossamer mind fiction. One minute what you believe you can touch, taste and inhale seems so very real. Then the next minute, wham, everything is gone, and you are back in reality.

Is there a dream you can remember which seemed so real that when you awoke you had really convinced yourself your dream was reality?

I dreamt once last week that I won our lottery - that the tv announcer actually called out my name instead of reading numbers. I woke up looking for my ticket when reality caved in.

What:s your story?

LOL. You should pose this question on some sprinting forum. Dreams that seem real are referred to as "hypnagogic hallucinations". They are one of the principal symptoms of narcolepsy, which lately so many sprinters seem to have been "diagnosed" with.
Pego

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:36 am

i cant tell you about my most vivid dream :oops:

but i can tell you it had a happy ending 8)
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:55 am

I once had a dream so surreally disturbing that I realized it was a dream and told myself to scream as loud as I could, to wake myself up. So I started screamed and as I was waking up, I realized I had my mouth closed and the sound I was making was like what you see in the movies when someone is being tortured, but they have a gag in their mouth - I was sweating profusely and did not go back to sleep that night.

That's for reminding me of that! :x
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:10 am

on the serious side, my brother had a classic nightmare. he was in that dream state where you swear your awake but its more like something in between. he was staying at an old inn and got his whole family up at 5 am to flee. he called me from his car and i thought something must be horrible wrong to call me so early. :shock: he was freaked out dude. :x
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:48 pm

On a lighter note, the BEST dream I ever had was when I won the Olympic High Jump in Tokyo in 1964, defeating Valery Brumel. Quite disappointed when I awoke needless to say.
dukehjsteve