France catalyst for European melt down?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

France catalyst for European melt down?

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:44 pm

I was worried when I saw Le Pen do so well in the elections. I wonder if this is a retaliation for the sentiments expressed in those elections?

Worse it's not hard to imagine this spreading to Germany and Britain. Anyone in Europe have a good finger on the pulse of this one?
Daisy

Re: France catalyst for European melt down?

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:27 pm

For context see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_French_civil_unrest

I noticed they just imposed a curfew across the country too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4414684.stm
Daisy

Postby EPelle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Lesson:

Treat immigrant citizens as Frenchmen, and not as outsiders.
EPelle

Postby gh » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:10 am

I thought this columnist made some good points.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... FJJBC1.DTL
gh

Postby tafnut » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:22 am

gh wrote:I thought this columnist made some good points.

"The word that is missing in the headlines, and that comes in later paragraphs in news stories is: Muslim."

If this is indeed the true cause of the rioting, we can now see the the 'Middle East Issue' of Christians vs. Muslims will become the Crusades of the 21st century, but with a new twist - civil war, in which we fight amongst ourselves, instead of Us vs. Them. The fact of this century is that we are an integrated society that had better learn to deal with our heterogeneity a whole lot better than we have in the past. How ironic that what was once perceived as the Race Issue has become the Religion Issue again. Seems we have learned nothing in the last couple millennia. Will 'Religion' lead us back into the Dark Ages?
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:42 am

I'm under the impression that this is basically a breakdown due primarily to economics and not religion. From what I gather France (and much of Europe) is not unlike America, in that non-whites traditionally sit on the lower rungs of the economic ladder. Once in a while these lower rung folks get set off and riots occur. Economic and social disenfranchisement will do that to folks.
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 am

ive heard that the us has added 56 million new jobs in the last 20 years and europe has added 4 million. thats not good. lighting an old woman or cars on fire usually doesnt help gain employment.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles