ASPRIN ,TYLENOL OR OTHER

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

ASPRIN OR TYLENOL or other

ASPRIN
45%
TYLENOL
No votes
OTHER
55%

Total votes : 11

ASPRIN ,TYLENOL OR OTHER

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:44 pm

tylelon does nothin for me but other people swear by it. asprin kicks ass. alieve is effective for pain. im curious what works for everybody.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Pain Killers

Postby wineturtle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:52 am

Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5-7
wineturtle

Postby tafnut » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:28 am

The only thing that works for me is Alleve - I don't get headaches, but if I had a very hectic day and my mind is buzzing at bed-time, one of these babies will put me down. Ain't drugs grand? (oh yeah - and anabolic steroids - they're great for an after-workout buzz!)
tafnut

Postby EPelle » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:26 am

USA-based question? I have never seen any of those in the Apotek here. For me, I choose Alvedon, as it dampens the aches second-best to icing. Alvedon is manufactured by AstraZeneca.
EPelle

Postby lonewolf49 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:43 pm

I seem to be immune to effect or side-effects, positive or negative, of any over-the-counter pain remedies, so I just don't take em.
Even prescribed arthritis medication is ineffective... about the only thing I react to is Mexican food.. gives me indigeston..
lonewolf49

Postby tlb747 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:02 pm

I picked other, but I rarely take any medicine.
tlb747

Postby JRM » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:24 pm

EPelle wrote:USA-based question? I have never seen any of those in the Apotek here.

Perhaps it would have been better to list the active ingredients: ASA (Aspirin), Acetaminophen (Tylenol), or Other. I chose other, because I tend to take Ibuprofen (Advil or generic variety). I tried Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) for a bit, but it didn't really do anything for me.

The residents of Canada have an advantage with acetaminophen-based pain relievers, though: over the counter tylenol with codeine. Whenever we're north of the border, we tend to pick up a few bottles. They do wonders for migrane-level pain, or posture-related neck/headaches.
JRM

Re: Pain Killers

Postby skyin' brian » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:01 pm

wineturtle wrote:Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5-7

i think this is vicodin(or however it is spelled), very tricky...im an advil man myself, but tried to stop taking it so much when my stomach started acting up on me. otherwise, i try to just rub a bit of tiger balm on the sore area and everything is just fine
skyin' brian

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:03 pm

EPelle wrote:USA-based question? I have never seen any of those in the Apotek here. For me, I choose Alvedon, as it dampens the aches second-best to icing. Alvedon is manufactured by AstraZeneca.

In the US Alvedon is known as Tylenol.
Pego

Postby marknhj » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:53 pm

I take one aspirin a day for its supposed blood thinning effect (Pego - I take regular ones - 325mg, should I take baby ones?). Try to avoid the others because I read they can bugger up your liver. Today, at work, we had a guy who hadn't eaten for 24 hours; he has a bad back and had taken a vicadon. Fainted in the parking lot and fell over and hit his head - had to call the paramedics.
marknhj

Postby twittering debutante » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:09 pm

For headaches, pain, nausea, and DyeStat, I prefer my morphine drip.
twittering debutante

Postby Pego » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:54 am

marknhj wrote:I take one aspirin a day for its supposed blood thinning effect (Pego - I take regular ones - 325mg, should I take baby ones?). Try to avoid the others because I read they can bugger up your liver. Today, at work, we had a guy who hadn't eaten for 24 hours; he has a bad back and had taken a vicadon. Fainted in the parking lot and fell over and hit his head - had to call the paramedics.

It really does not matter. If your stomach tolerates 325, that would be it, if it's bothered, switch to baby strength 65-100 or better, get the enteric coated kind.

And now, let me put my preacher hat on. Since most of the audience here are middle age or better males, this is your admonition.
There is absolutely no doubt that an aspirin-a-day reduces fairly significantly the chances for vascular events (heart attacks, strokes) in middle age and better males. So, all of you, from now on an aspirin-a-day. That's an order.
Mojo, ladies, it is not nearly as effective for the female physiology.
Pego

Postby eldrick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:54 am

Pego wrote:
marknhj wrote:I take one aspirin a day for its supposed blood thinning effect (Pego - I take regular ones - 325mg, should I take baby ones?). Try to avoid the others because I read they can bugger up your liver. Today, at work, we had a guy who hadn't eaten for 24 hours; he has a bad back and had taken a vicadon. Fainted in the parking lot and fell over and hit his head - had to call the paramedics.

It really does not matter. If your stomach tolerates 325, that would be it, if it's bothered, switch to baby strength 65-100 or better, get the enteric coated kind.

And now, let me put my preacher hat on. Since most of the audience here are middle age or better males, this is your admonition.
There is absolutely no doubt that an aspirin-a-day reduces fairly significantly the chances for vascular events (heart attacks, strokes) in middle age and better males. So, all of you, from now on an aspirin-a-day. That's an order.
Mojo, ladies, it is not nearly as effective for the female physiology.

pego, normal recommendations are for 75mg dispersible every day - the 325 strength is associated with higher incidents of GI bleeds

also, i read an interesting article a while back of aspirin use in patients with no cardiovascular risk factors - indeed the incidence of strokes & MIs were reduced by 10% in this group, but unfortunately the incidence of GI bleeds increased by 20% ! ( i'll have to try & dig up this article - i believe it was done in australia ), so you may be protected from strokes & MIs, but you may end up bleeding to death from a stomach ulcer as the downside

the guidelines i follow are that you should only take daily aspirin if you have a significant cardiovascular risk ( a history of hypertension,angina,MI, thrombo-embolic stroke, diabetes ( with normal renal function ) ) - "normal", healthy middle-aged people have no justification in taking aspirin, in view of possible GI side-effects
eldrick

Postby Pego » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:58 am

The GI symptoms can be virtually totally eliminated by taking enteric coated aspirin, regardless of the dose or an antacid. I support the policy of ALL middle age and better males to take one aspirin a day. I DO!
Pego

Postby eldrick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:09 am

Pego wrote:The GI symptoms can be virtually totally eliminated by taking enteric coated aspirin, regardless of the dose or an antacid. I support the policy of ALL middle age and better males to take one aspirin a day. I DO!

the symptoms of dyspepsia may be reduced, but the risk of GI bleed is the same ( GI bleed is dependent on systematic prostaglandin inhibition, not a local effect ) - maybe even a worse case scenario - you may have no stomach symptoms at all with the enteric-coated version, but suddenly develop a bleeding ulcer - at least with the dispersible you may get some stomach symptoms as a warning

http://www.attract.wales.nhs.uk/questio ... on_id=1707
eldrick

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:18 am

my father is all cloggy, my mom has had a quad bypass, my oldest bro. has the one of the highest calcium scan results they have seen in his age group, my secound oldest brother had a major attack. heart stopped for 10 mins. had immediate cpr and stent and is ok. my younger brother has 3 stents and one open heart surgury.

so i had the calcuim scan which can measure the amount of plaque in the pipes. my number was ZERO! im very lucky but take asprin daily. we call it the cloggy club and its a club you dont want to join.you can pass a stress test but have unstable plaque which can break off and clog down the line.

i think asprin is a wonderful drug!!
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:28 am

My medical staff (sister - a nurse practitioner) tells me that there are no proven additional benefits from a full strength aspirin. She loves me (I think) and would not steer me wrong. The 87mg aspirin is part of my daily pill-popping regime (as is 3000mg of fish oil, another easy thing to take that is supposed to have old-guy cardio benefits).
bad hammy

Postby eldrick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:32 am

here's a link on aspirin for healthy people ( make up your own mind ):

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177 ... 39_fm.html
eldrick

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:05 am

how does one know if they are the somewhat rare person who can really benifit from a daily asprin. of course along with diet and exercise.
SQUACKEE

Postby marknhj » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:24 pm

Here's link with a video that says don't mix them (I knew that already so very rarely take inbuprofen - which I could use right now as my neck is killing me):

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/health ... ly_aspirin
marknhj