Most Embarrassing Concert You Ever Went To . . .

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Most Embarrassing Concert You Ever Went To . . .

Postby bad hammy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:02 am

As an adult, of your own free will. The promise of sexual favors is not an excuse!! :shock:

As mentioned in the bad song thread, in 1977 I saw the Starland Vocal Band. The bad news is that this may not be the nadir - I also saw Neil Sedaka that year. Fortunately, the drugs saved me. Is it any surprise that I had to ditch the original mrs. hammy??

We could broaden this to include the most embarrasing album you bought as an adult, but that one is tough for me to answer. I did have a Partridge Family album once, but I was, like, eleven, and stooopid, and it was a gift, so not my fault.
Last edited by bad hammy on Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:21 am

Besides the rookie mistake of seeing Neil Diamond (early 70s) - I have only been to see really good (IMO) stuff like Van Halen, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Hall & Oates, etc. I don't go often (10 REAL concerts in my life, maybe), but I do go good. Worst albums I ever bought were the 'Yes' albums I got, long after their loss of key members. I kept hoping they'd be good again. They did make a comeback later on, but the late 70s stuff was crap.
tafnut

Postby gm » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:32 pm

Madonna's "Like a Virgin" tour... what the heck was I thinking??? And I've never even sampled drugs, so there goes that excuse. Best part was the Beastie Boys getting booed off stage... those guys truly suck/ed.
gm

Postby gh » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:49 pm

and the Beastie Boys connection to track is..... ?
gh

Postby MJD » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:28 pm

I think I knew this once but don't seem to anymore. Wild ass guess-something to do with Rick Rubin?

Here are their real names if they are of any use to anyone:

Mike Diamond, Adam Horovitz andAdam Yauch.
Last edited by MJD on Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby MJD » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:30 pm

tafnut wrote:Hall & Oates

You better put IMO in front of that. Good grief.
MJD

Re: Most Embarrassing Concert You Ever Went To . . .

Postby MJD » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:44 pm

bad hammy wrote:I did have a Partridge Family album once, but I was, like, eleven, and stooopid, and it was a gift, so not my fault.

I actually bought this(and still own it) at about the same age. May have been my first.

Actually not a bad album.

All remakes. "Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir..."

When I was searching for it, I found that it is for sale on some rare vinyl sites.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:03 pm

MJD wrote:

No freakin way, dude. I was living in a Philly suburb when they hit it big with the 'blue-eyed soul' thing. 'One on One' and 'I Can't Go For That' are C-L-A-S-S-I-C-S, bro. Darryl was in love with himself and no one knew what Oates did (sort of a Wham :shock: thing going there), but they could put out some hits. When their tour came back home to Philly, it was Crazy!
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:25 pm

MJD wrote:

Right up there with the Stones . . . :P
bad hammy

Postby marknhj » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:24 pm

Not embarrassing, but worst concert was the B52's in LA - just awful sound, singing, mix etc. at a time when I loved them. Most embarassing theatrical experience was seeing the Mikado starring Dudley Moore in the late 1980's - he was drunk and kept forgetting his words (T&F connection - COF).
marknhj

Postby bad hammy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:44 pm

marknhj wrote:(T&F connection - COF).

???
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:49 pm

COF Capital One Financial (stock symbol)
CoF Castle of Fun (WOTC message boards)
COF Catholic Order of Foresters (Catholic fraternal insurance organization founded in 1883; Naperville, IL)
COF Central Operating Facilities
COF Centro de Orientación Femenina (Guatemala)
COF Certificate of Fitness
COF Chamber of Fear
COF Chariots of Fire (movie)
COF Chip on Film
COF Chip-on-Flex
COF Civilian Objective Force
COF Classroom Of the Future
CoF Cloak of Flames (Everquest game)
COF Coefficient of Friction
COF Cofidis - Credit par Telephone (Tour de France cycling sponsor)
COF Colleges of the Fenway (since 1996; Boston, Massachusetts)
COF Columbus Operating Facility
COF Company Operations Facility
COF Computing Operations Fundamentals (from BOFH)
COF conduct of fire (US DoD)
COF Confirmation Order Form
COF Construction Of Facility
COF Cost of Funds
COF Council of Fellows
COF Council On Foundations
COF Covered Offshore Facility
COF Crabby Old Fart
COF Cradle of Filth (band)
COF Crazy Old Fart
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:08 pm

So marknhj or Dudley Moore (or both) are either crabby or crazy old farts??
bad hammy

Postby cullman » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:49 pm

Most embarassing album in my vinyl collection? "Best of Bread".

cman[/b]
cullman

Postby kuha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:49 am

Worst Record/CD ever purchased: Frankie Goes to Hollywood (idiotic, if briefly fashionable, rubbish)

Worst Concert ever seen: tie: Quicksilver Messenger Service & Van Morrison (the only two concerts I've ever walked out on; QMS was sloppy and out of tune, VM was drunk as a skunk and could hardly stand up).
kuha

Postby bad hammy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:46 am

kuha wrote:Worst Record/CD ever purchased: Frankie Goes to Hollywood (idiotic, if briefly fashionable, rubbish)

Worst Concert ever seen: tie: Quicksilver Messenger Service & Van Morrison (the only two concerts I've ever walked out on; QMS was sloppy and out of tune, VM was drunk as a skunk and could hardly stand up).

Hey, I still occasionally like to hear the first half of the FGTH disk - Welcome to the Pleasuredome, Relax, War and Two Tribes. A bit over the top, but all in good fun.

Never saw QMS, and hated the one Van Morrison concert I went to. Like the time I saw Elvis Costello, Morrison played absolutely zero numbers I was familiar with. When paying big bucks to see musicians whose biggest hits were in the past, I want to hear a few of those. Don’t give me 75 minutes of all the new stuff no one has heard . . .

Interesting that we feel kind of gypped when a musician only plays 75 minutes. When the Beatles were big and touring they supposedly never played more than 30 minutes at concerts, often only 20!
bad hammy

Postby kuha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:26 am

Interesting... I've seen Elvis Costello 3 or 4 times over the years and have really enjoyed him each time... But obviously, even the greatest have off nights...
kuha

Postby racewalker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:05 am

In the mid-ish 70's I went to see Emerson, Lake and Palmer at a minor league baseball stadium in Jersey City, NJ. They had a warmup group called "IF" and they were awful. The crowd started screaming at them to get off the stage. The lead singer turned around and mooned the crowd and someone in the audience threw a broken bottle at him, lascerating his butt bad enough that it required surgery. By the time order was restored and ELP took the stage, the crowd was drunk/tripping to the point that people were passing out in their own vomit in the isles.

Ahhhh, the good old days.
racewalker

Postby marknhj » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:15 am

So marknhj or Dudley Moore (or both) are either crabby or crazy old farts??
>>>

I take exception to the "old" reference...:)
marknhj