UCLA's All-football 4x100 squad....

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

UCLA's All-football 4x100 squad....

Postby richxx87 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:34 pm

In an LA paper this week, UCLA running back Maurice Drew said he intended to run track this spring as part of an all football player 4x100.

"Drew, who wants to organize a football players-only 400-meter relay squad in the spring to compete in track and field, said he will have a chance to do it because he has no plans of leaving early for the NFL." -- LA DAily News

So it got me to thinking: Who might make up the squad, and here are 5 prime candidates I came up with. (all times are from H.S.)

Matt Slater-- Jr. RB/DB (10.62, 2nd place at '03 CA state meet)
Rodney Van-- Soph. DB (10.74/21.3 + relay exp. at LB POly)
Maurice Drew-- Jr. RB (10.8 in HS as part-time T&F work)
Brandon Breazell-- So DB (10.9 ran on sect. champ relay team)
Marcus Cassel-- Sr. DB (10.9)

Keep in mind some of these times occurred nearly 4 years ago, and these guys have a lot more strength and maybe more speed.

Very interesting possibilities here, I would not be terribly surprised if they broke 40, but I doubt they'd beat an LSU all-FB relay team.
richxx87

Postby Narrion » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:03 am

Who'd be on the LSU 4x100 team?

X-Man Carter
Skyler Green
Bennie Brazzel .....did he use up all his eligibilty?
Trindon Holliday

Joseph Addai
Narrion

college FB relays

Postby richxx87 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:14 am

Is Trindon Holliday playing football for LSU? Gracious sakes alive, if that's true they could put together a serious team like, not just a novelty FB team, but a serious NCAA title contender.

And BTW, my mistake, Brandon Breazell is not a DB, but in fact a WR. He had a great over-the-shoulder grab for a 50-yd TD last week vs. OSU. And despite his relatively "slow-ish" 10.9, the coaches and other teams say he has -- much like Jerry Rice -- great "football speed". Meaning he can get near his top speed with all the pads and bumping and cutting. Of course that won't count for much in the 4x1 with just some lane lines and an unforgiving clock.

Off TOPIC TANGENT ALERT: speaking of Jerry Rice, he had like a 4.7 40yd time out college (way too slow for most scouts' liking) but the Genius Bill Walsh saw something, saw his "football speed" and drafted him early.. the rest is history. Walsh once commented: "when the ball is in the air, it doesn't matter if the DB is a 4.2 guy, Rice will beat him to it..."
I've always remembered that, but never fully understood it. I wonder if there are any theories as to why that is, or at least percieved to be that way.
richxx87

Postby gh » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:54 am

I'd like to see Reggie Bush on the track.
gh

Bush on the track...

Postby richxx87 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:36 am

GH,
Bush had more success overall, made the CA State final (got a bronze), than Maurice Drew in terms of track. I think Bush ran a PB of 10.42, but, very interestingly, the only time they ever ran head to head, Drew beat Bush AND oddly both had relatively woeful senior seasons in T&F, maybe because they'd both committed to football and had to do other things...

check this page for some interesting names/pics/times. You'll notice another UCLA Bruin making Bush look like a fool... along with that other great USC student -- who is not on the track team.

http://www.dyestat.com/state/ca/2out/statemeet/r-10.htm
richxx87

Postby tlb747 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:16 pm

gh wrote:I'd like to see Reggie Bush on the track.

Speaking of football players, I'd like to seen Shaun McDonald of the St. Louis Rams (Wide Reciever) on the track more in his college days.
tlb747

Postby gh » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:13 am

Note that in the Trojan football thread analyst Sean Salisbury is quoted as saying there aren't five players in the whole NFL better than Bush at this point. Methinks we'll not be seeing him on the track ever again.
gh