What is Your Favorite Beach?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: What is Your Favorite Beach?

Postby Al in NYC » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:10 pm

Coney. I can get there by subway in 20 mins., and there's something to do there besides sit on the beach (perhaps the most boring activity imaginable to me, besides the fact that I just burn). Plus, if it's too damn hot I can just grab a hot dog or some clams and a beer, and then hop back on the train and get home quick.

Beyond that, I can't imagine travelling just to go spend time on a beach (but do love scenic coastlines like Big Sur or up in Maine or the Amalfi Coast or the Slieve League in my family's native county in Ireland).
Al in NYC

Postby mike renfro » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:42 pm

Garry, I hadn't thought about the work aspect of going to the meets, as you do. Since '78, I have taken exactly two trips of more than 3 days which did not involve a track meet or two. We try to cram as much travel into the trip as possible (airfare being what it is, we tend to take 3 weeks or a month for all Euro trips. The two "lost" trips? NY for a Met Ring in '95 and NE for the fall trees in '98. Both were fun, but I did miss the track fix. But if I had to seriously prep for the meet, longer hours than the fans, and then write it all up after, I might whimper. Not to mention hand holding for tour members! I'll probalby stick to my style of travel.
mike renfro

Postby mike renfro » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:46 pm

tafnut, what is the status of panhandle beaches after Ivan? I was pretty sure I was going to Pensacola for T-day, not so sure now. We may relocate to Atlanta. I guess the buildings can be trashed and not affect the beach. In fact, for beach lovers, it might be an upgrade. But don't try that line out on those who lost their houses.
mike renfro

Postby huh? » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:41 am

There's a beach in Atlanta?
huh?

Postby tafnut » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:27 am

>tafnut, what is the status of panhandle beaches after Ivan?

There was some major erosion as some of the beaches decided to redistribute themselves miles inland. I think Pcola Beach is still virtually impassable.
tafnut

Postby MJD » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:25 am

Unfortunately, this ad is actually pretty funny:

http://www.caymannetnews.com/pdf_news/27.jpg

Be closer to this:

http://www.philipnadeau.com/adventure/h ... ivan21.jpg
MJD

Postby EPelle » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:12 am

"Some photographs show property pre-Ivan and may not accurately represent their current condition."
EPelle

Postby MJD » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:33 am

It reminded me of:

"Not exactly as illustrated."
MJD

Postby EPelle » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:34 am

It:s like going into a McDonalds or BK and asking to have a burger like the one shown on tv.
EPelle

Postby MJD » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:09 am

Now they have been hit by a earthquake. Is 6.8 high by SF standards?

http://www.caymannetnews.com/pdf_news/19.jpg
Last edited by MJD on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby jhc68 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:12 am

We are off soon to check out Vina del Mar and La Serena in Chile. Reports will be filed asap!
jhc68

Postby EPelle » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:11 pm

What is the equivalent of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" in the disaster world?
EPelle

Postby Krisco » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:11 pm

What is your favorite BEACH? Man,you Columbus North guys have WAAAAY too much time on your hands!
I bet AJ's favorite beach is the swimming lake at St Joe St Park..What do YOU guys think?
Krisco

Postby twittering debutante » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm

>I was thinking more M & the M kind of Echo Beach-although I wonder if it is the
>same thing? If you are standing on it TD, which direction are you looking?

south
twittering debutante

Postby MJD » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:03 pm

MJD

Postby wineturtle » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:29 pm

With sand ,almost anywhere on the north coast of Maui.While wineturtle was in his "olive drab" period he had the extreme pleasure of snorkeling off a very rocky shore on the Island of You-long-doe(I see its now spelled Ulleongdo back then never saw the name in western characters)in the East Sea off the coast of South Korea. Twice as many fish/animal life in water than even the commercial tourist sites like Lani Hawai'i and the Caribbean,where systematic chumming creates an artifical abundance.Clear,cool water,little wash and diversity.Wish I had more of a chance to explore South Korea when I was stationed there.
wineturtle

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:01 am

Tempting fate-decided to use up the deposit I paid last year just before Ivan hit the Caymans. Think the season will be over in two weeks?
MJD

Postby utkvol80 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Cocoa Beach, FL lately, only because I used to do a lot of TDY there on Uncle Sam's dime.
utkvol80

Postby gh » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:55 pm

Drinking buddy of mine finally got home yesterday after spending almost a week in a shelter in Cancun. In the tony resort he was at he got stuck in the second row of bungalows from teh beach, which pissed him off to no end, and he made a strong request to managment that they get him into the front row.

The next day, there he was in the front row--but still in the same bungalow. Be careful what you ask for!
gh

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 am

whats my favorite beach?

my wife! GOOD NITE! dont forget to tip your waitress. :P
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Vern » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:37 am

Doe Namibia's Skeleton Coast count? Sea + Desert = Beach?? Remarkable place irregardless. Otherwise:
Crane (Barbados)
Gwenvor (England)
Byron Bay (Oz)
Vern

Postby tlb747 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:42 pm

I do not know, but the beaches in Palma de Malorca, Spain are nice.
tlb747

Postby MJD » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:28 pm

In the Caymans for the first time since Ivan hit. Mrs. MJD and I went for our usual drive around the island to get the average cost per mile for the rental under about 30 USAnian. Gas is about 6 USAnian a gallon by the way. Friend of ours owned a condo worth about 650k USAnian down here. Went looking for it. Not only couldn't find the condo but couldn't find the 30 unit complex it was in or any sign at all that it ever existed. Parts of the south shore look like a nuclear bomb hit it. Very sad.
MJD

Postby twittering debutante » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:01 pm

I was hitching once and found a nice beach in the late afternoon at Lake Powell, just north of Wahweap, virtually smack dab on the AZ-UT border.

There was some rip-rap I had to climb down to get to the beach. Once I was there, though, I knew it would be a great spot to camp the night.

I wasn't there very long, however, until a family from France climbed down and invaded my secluded spot.

Mom, dad, their 20-year-old daughter, and 17 year-old son.

Before I even knew what was happening, all four had stripped naked. A bottle of wine was produced, and I was invited to join in.

It was amazing how freely my new friends promenaded around in the buff. The daughter was unbelievable, and mom, a flight attendant for Air France, was quite a feast for the eyes as well. Dad sort of looked like Aristotle Onassis.

I'd like to go on and tell the rest of the story, but I realize this is a family forum.
twittering debutante

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:41 pm

twittering debutante wrote:I was hitching once and found a nice beach in the late afternoon at Lake Powell, just north of Wahweap, virtually smack dab on the AZ-UT border.

There was some rip-rap I had to climb down to get to the beach. Once I was there, though, I knew it would be a great spot to camp the night.

I wasn't there very long, however, until a family from France climbed down and invaded my secluded spot.

Mom, dad, their 20-year-old daughter, and 17 year-old son.

Before I even knew what was happening, all four had stripped naked. A bottle of wine was produced, and I was invited to join in.

It was amazing how freely my new friends promenaded around in the buff. The daughter was unbelievable, and mom, a flight attendant for Air France, was quite a feast for the eyes as well. Dad sort of looked like Aristotle Onassis.

I'd like to go on and tell the rest of the story, but I realize this is a family forum.

yo t.d. p.m. me on this. im doin a graduate paper....ok, ok you can see right thru me. god i hate you. look, just send me details please. im a very loney man. i love you man.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Thrower » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Cane Garden Bay.......north side of Tortola, BVI's
Thrower

Postby MJD » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:37 am

SQUACKEE wrote:yo t.d. p.m. me on this. im doin a graduate paper....ok, ok you can see right thru me. god i hate you. look, just send me details please. im a very loney man. i love you man.

Someone has been reading Night Fall.
MJD

Previous