Shopping with the little woman

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Shopping with the little woman

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Out clothes shopping today. I see so many very miserable looking guys being dragged about by their wife/girlfriend while they shop for clothes or shoes. They look like dogs on a leash quite frankly. :wink:
I can't remember the last time my DH shopped with me- probably before we got married.
So do you guys go clothes shopping with your significant others? (or anything not related to cars, homes, cameras etc.) If so, do you enjoy it?
mojo

Re: Shopping with the little woman

Postby slowcoach » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:36 pm

mojo wrote:They look like dogs on a leash quite frankly.

slowcoach = dog on a leash
:(

Very apt, mojo, coz that's what I feel like.

(but we're only talking of clothes shopping-for her)
slowcoach

Postby Daisy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:41 pm

If i have to do it I'll try and be helpful, finding things on a rack etc. My philosophy is the faster we find the right dress the sooner we are out of there. Fortunately it's not somehting I have to do that often.
Daisy

Postby wineturtle » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Spare me the shoes thing but clothes shopping I'm O.K. with ....it's nice to sit and watch the different 'looks' she tries on....some more edgie than she would normally wear others down rigth foreplay,some just playful.
She also enjoys the subtle dig when asked "that's nice ..new?" "Yes <wineturtle helped me pick it out. Meaning in women speak" I let him carry the packages and keep his mouth shut. Got yours so well trained?"
wineturtle

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:33 pm

Rarely if ever. I'll go with her to the mall, but I bring a book and sit in the car and read it.
dukehjsteve

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:34 pm

Clothes shopping? If I can't get it shipped by Lands End or LL Bean, I ain't buying it. My wife spares me the ignominy of department stores by shopping while I'm at work. Neither one of us is exactly 'fashion forward'. Brooks Bros shirts and ties, wheat khakis or dark blue pants, argyle socks and Bass Weejuns since I was 14! Boring and darn proud of it!
tafnut

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:44 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Rarely if ever. I'll go with her to the mall, but I bring a book and sit in the car and read it.

I have a pic of my husband in the huge West Edmonton mall (2001 Worlds!!!) and he is sitting under a fake tree reading a book. He looks like he would rather be anywhere else in the world!
The only good thing about that trip to the mall was that we saw loads of track stars shopping. Not every day you see Larissa Pelchenko at the mall! :shock: :lol:

Taf- you go to cool concerts but don't dress the part?
mojo

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:59 pm

oh the pain :x i can run 12 miles but shopping leaves me exhausted. i dont think ive ever shopped a day in my life. i go BUY stuff. go in, get it and leave at the speed of light or slightly faster. 187,000 miles per secound at least.

we were in this little town last summer and all the hasbands, i mean husbands were all out side all these little shops, all miserable while the woman folk purchased do-dads and what-nots.

but, viva la differance! i love the ladys!!! :wink: :D
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:42 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:i can run 12 miles but shopping leaves me exhausted.

You too?! I can not stand for as long as I can run. If I ever have to stand still for more than 2 minutes, I just sit down, even on the floor. My back starts aching!

mojo - I wore jeans and a T-shirt - exactly as every other person did! [except, of course, for the groupies, whose anatomical endowments would rip regular cotton shirts, so they wore spandex, which made me marvel at the fabric's ability to S-T-R-E-T-C-H beyond that which the human imagination can imagine - one of them had to squeeze by me on the way to her seat and I seriously thought my wife was going to slap me, cuz I was easily in safe at second base!]
tafnut

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:28 pm

I don't shop live. Period. When I bought my BMW 530i, I had a hard time getting someone to sell one to me because they wouldn't take anyone seriously who was trying to buy it over the phone. Couldn't tell you how many guys lost commission on that one. The story made the rounds and someone eventually called me. Never did test drive it. What's not to like. Guy dropped it off at my office, I gave him a cheque and he asked me if I needed to know anything and I said no. When my last SUV died, I told a guy at work I was thinking about buying a Suburban but I had a couple of questions for the salesman and he kept asking me to call him back and wouldn't leave a message in my vm just to tell me how wide the damn vehicle was. He wanted to talk to me live to charm me, I guess. More commission down the drain-made sure I let the owner of the dealership who was a friend of mine know about that one. A guy at work found out about the fact that I had already wasted an hour or so trying to get a new SUV so he suggested the Toyota Sequoia and told me that he had a client that sold them. I said fine as long as he looked after the whole thing and I didn't have to get involved. Dealer thought that was a bit bizarre but the deal was worked out that day, my wife picked it up a couple of days later and I still haven't darkened the door of the delearship because I insisted on a deal where they would leave me with a loaner every time they picked up the vehicle for service. I have a policy and have had it since I was about 20(a friend of mine and I actually made a list of a bunch of them) and it's right near the top of all the others and it says: "YOU DON'T SHOP". To answer the question, I suspect I would literally die if I ever went shopping with my wife who enjoys it but I will never have to find out.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:42 pm

> I suspect I would literally die if I ever went shopping<

WOW, a kindred spirit! i thought i was the only one. i love you man....
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:33 pm

Very interesting MJD.

So what did you do before internet? How did you buy shoes etc.?

DH did correct me- he will shop for cameras any time. Of course now he does it online but that is one thing he would go shopping for.
He buys clothes maybe twice a year but looks at coaching on national teams etc. as a way to get his wardrobe. :roll:
mojo

Postby maggot » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:11 pm

I spent a week in the shoe department at Dillards one night while TLW was looking at shoes and asking the opinion of another customer. This was in a mall where there wasn't a bar. My wife and her mother can go shopping for hours and not buy anything. I guess that's something males can't understand. marknhj posted something a few months ago about a 5 hour shopping expedition for patio furniture.
maggot

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:22 pm

mojo wrote:Very interesting MJD.

So what did you do before internet? How did you buy shoes etc.?

DH did correct me- he will shop for cameras any time. Of course now he does it online but that is one thing he would go shopping for.
He buys clothes maybe twice a year but looks at coaching on national teams etc. as a way to get his wardrobe. :roll:

My wife buys almost everything like that I need. Before that and the internet, I think I used the very same words as squack. You decide in advance what you want to buy and you run in and get it and run out as fast as you can. No aimless, brainless wandering around. I have to go for my made to measure suits but I usually buy a few at once and complain to the guy the whole time I am there. Same deal with haircuts. In most big centres, they will come to you. Not Brantford. I go as absolutely long as possible(pushed the last time-I think it was about 130 days) and I have it down to leaving my desk, driving over there, getting it cut by a friend of my wife who has her own shop and getting back to my desk all in well under 15 minutes. Last guy who cut my hair would spend most of the time talking and he was very expressive and would talk with his hands all the time which meant they weren't cutting my hair and it would drive me nuts.
MJD

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:39 pm

MJD wrote: Last guy who cut my hair would spend most of the time talking and he was very expressive and would talk with his hands all the time which meant they weren't cutting my hair and it would drive me nuts.

Heaven forbid somone would actually like to chat a bit.

You would not last one day in a Greek village! :P
mojo

Postby maggot » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:25 pm

I guess different people have different chat quotients. I am not too happy when I am in a line at some sort of store and the person ahead is having an extended conversation with the cashier. I am also not too crazy about being greeted when I walk into or out of a grocery store. Who started this? Was it Walmart? I also think that Petsmart is responsible for some people thinking that they can take their dog into any old store, including grocery.
maggot

Postby tlb747 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:50 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:oh the pain :x i can run 12 miles but shopping leaves me exhausted.

Same with me! I went shopping on Thursday and bought eight (4-short sleeve and 4-long sleeve) shirts for $150. The last time I ran twelve miles was in 1996.
tlb747

Postby Bob H » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:17 pm

I enjoy shopping. My wife does not. Go figure.
Bob H

Postby maggot » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:19 pm

Bob H wrote:I enjoy shopping. My wife does not. Go figure.

I have a 24 year old nephew who enjoys shopping. After he returns, he has purchase review with his grandmother and his aunt while I chuckle.
maggot

Postby cullman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:20 pm

mojo wrote:So do you guys go clothes shopping with your significant others? (or anything not related to cars, homes, cameras etc.) If so, do you enjoy it?

Currently don't have a signifigant other. The last one was great because she was a sculptor and knew more about power tools than me and owned her own Mig and gas welding rig...what a gal! She stopped taking me clothes shopping with her because I was too slow. I was a browser and she was a "hit and run" kind of shopper. :(

cman
cullman

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:24 pm

I have a limited chat quotient when standing in a line as well.

I live in a city dominated by little old ladies. I have alot of pet peeves with the dearies. WHY do they wait until it is time to pay to scrounge around for their change purse and then proceed to take hours examining every coin as they slowly count out their money. it's all I can do not to grab their purse and do it for them. My 94 year old MIL hated that too- she just threw a bunch of bills at the clerk and let her figure it out! :lol:

So I am not as nice as I seem! :wink: :wink:
mojo

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:27 am

mojo wrote:
MJD wrote: Last guy who cut my hair would spend most of the time talking and he was very expressive and would talk with his hands all the time which meant they weren't cutting my hair and it would drive me nuts.

You would not last one day in a Greek village! :P

Small talk makes me hyperventilate. Went to The Keg last night and the waitress was babbling away about the nice weather during the journey to our table. I stayed uninvolved.
MJD

Postby Honusonthesound » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:30 am

MJD, you are a soul brother. These common folk just don't understand us important bigshots, do they? How can they possibly know how it is?

Hey, time is tight! We gotta make the most of it No time fer shopping or or other mindless diversions. I've learned all the tricks to streamline my day 'n I'll just bet you have too. Remember how cool it was when you discovered that using a catheter kept you from wastin' time in the bathroom 'n at yer desk? 'course now we use Depends to acheive that, but it was a memorable milestone, nevertheless. I just pee only, though. No time fer poopin'. I'll get to that one of these days. It's tough bein' so important! I'll bet ours don't stink, though, huh?

But I can tell from yer posts, that yer kinda new at this bigshot stuff. Yer still buyin' 'n drivin' yer own cars? I haven't done that in years. I've got drivers that take care of that. Whenever I need to be somewhere, a limousine pulls up 'n whisks me away. I don't know if I own 'em, lease 'em, or rent 'em. That's just an unimportant detail. Who cares? I don't waste a momement thinkin' about that stuff. And you still buy 'n wear suits? You ain't gettin' the kind of respect that you so obviously deserve. I learned in the first grade from a book that our teacher read, to just walk around naked ('cept fer the Depends, of course). It saves me all kinds of time. And folks're always complimentin' me 'bout the fine cut of may jacket, superb quality of my silk shirts, 'n wonderfull colors of my silk ties.

As fer the haircuts, I'll let you in on a little secret. The limousines're all outfit with hot tubs in which I soak from place to place. While I do, one of my minions cuts my hair. No special arrangements need be made. 'course I had to train her how to do the deed while I had an earpiece in each ear so as to continue to carry-on 2 simultanous cell phone conversations during her task. By the time you've reached my level, talkin' out of both sides of yer mouth is a given and a useful skill, but I'm bettin' you aleady know that. You've got minions, no? Now, you'll need to hire a regular staff, but some of the grunt-level tasks can be handled by low-skilled imports. Send me an e-mail 'n I'll tell you where you can buy some, cheap.

But it's a bitch not havin' time to get involved with the details, ain't it? Fer example, just last month I directed one of my staff to purchase a hotel in which I was interested in Manhatten. He just couldn't seem to locate it 'n I can't be bothered with such details, so I puchased a large tract between 2nd 'n 5th Avenues bordered on the south by 42nd St. 'n on the north by 49th. I got the hotel. But now, I got all this other stuff that I don't really want. I'm thinkin' about tearin' it all down 'n constructing a park. Every city oughta have a park, dontcha think? I'm thinkin' about callin' it Central Park. I'm also thinkin' about puttin' in video cameras through which I can entertain myself by watchin' the low-life (you know, regular people) mug 'n abuse each other. Wouldn't that be fun?

Oh, and one last thing. You mentioned your wife. You don't have just one do you? You surely don't have just a single yacht or single plane, so why would you settle fer a single wife? That's just not proper. If you wanna travel in my circles, you gotta have a collection of about a dozen or so. Each special occasion calls fer just the right trophy wife.

You've got some things to learn, my friend, but yer on yer way!

And remember the imortal words of our Matron Saint, Leonna Helmsly - "Only little people pay taxes."

PS - Why do they call us pampas grass? That just don't make any sense.
Honusonthesound

Postby bad hammy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:42 am

I'll actually shop for three things:

1. Books
2. Athletic gear
3. Groceries (I love the food)

OK, unlike MJD, I will actually test drive vehicles when the time arrives. Hopefully the one I bought four years ago lasts another 15 or so (Toyota Tacoma: the Taliban are driving 20-year old Tacomas - that's good enough for me!)

Out with mrs. hammy looking at clothes for her? Never. She does not even try. Personally I wear t-shirts, Hawaiian shirts (which mrs. hammy usually buys) and athletic pants. Doesn’t take much in the way of shopping to keep the closet full (it is a small closet, unlike mrs. hammy, who has a whole room as a closet, plus a walk-in).
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:43 am

Good advice Honus. Have to work on that taxes thing. Like bad hammy, I am a buy and hold when it comes to vehicles. Worst investment you can make. They normally get towed to the wrecker when I am done with them.
Last edited by MJD on Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:09 pm

The bad hammy thing has made shoe shopping a pain. After finding the right athletic shoes last time (after trying on way too many) I went to the Internet and bought 10 more pair of same. Now I am working on hiking boots - still no success there.
bad hammy

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:02 pm

My wife and I shop for clothes only when we visit the outlets in Reading, Pennsylvania (so about twice a year, summer and Christmas). Always lots of good quality clothes at exceptionally cheap prices. We always make a day of it, and it's a fun excursion. Plus, we end off the day at our favorite small-town PA pub. So, no dog leashes here!
JRM

Postby jhc68 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:10 pm

Clothes shopping ain't no thing... even I need clothes once in a while.

BUT, lord almighty, have you ever gotten dragged into a CRAFTS STORE??? Holy Moley... about 2 minutes is the limit before I begin symptoms of anxiety attack... tunnel vision, feeling as if there is no oxygen in the atmosphere, an overwhelming urge to run away... etc., et al.
jhc68

Postby mojo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:33 pm

jhc68 wrote:Clothes shopping ain't no thing... even I need clothes once in a while.

BUT, lord almighty, have you ever gotten dragged into a CRAFTS STORE??? Holy Moley... about 2 minutes is the limit before I begin symptoms of anxiety attack... tunnel vision, feeling as if there is no oxygen in the atmosphere, an overwhelming urge to run away... etc., et al.

I HATE Crafts stores too-all that kitchy crap. (I am sire some of it is useful but man there is alot of junk).

Your shopping trip sounds fun JRM (is that bribery?) 8)
The one place DH and I can shop together is in a bookstore- though I can stay much longer at least there is something for both of us. (Thank God for magazines about planes and cameras) :wink:
mojo

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:45 pm

mojo wrote:
Your shopping trip sounds fun JRM (is that bribery?) 8)

Nope, far from bribery. We both enjoy the shopping, we both end up with good clothes, and we both enjoy the pints of PA's oldest, Yuengling lager, afterward. :)
JRM

Postby gm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:22 am

Heck, shopping is where the fun is! And the, errrr, human scenery. I love to shop for everything except light fixtures. Now, try and get me to sit through a baseball game and I might just slash my wrists.
gm

Postby DrJay » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:00 am

One of the all-time great commercials was the one with the guy out shopping with his wife, looking two steps from the grave with boredom, when a voice from inside one of those round clothing racks say "Pssst...buddy....in here!" and he crawls in to find two guys with a grill and beer and TV football and one guy says "We LUUUUVVV shopping!"
DrJay

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:00 am

gm wrote:Heck, shopping is where the fun is! And the, errrr, human scenery. I love to shop for everything except light fixtures. Now, try and get me to sit through a baseball game and I might just slash my wrists.

No question, that is worse. My wife used to get "free" tickets from work. Far from "free".
MJD