Europeans Rebelling Against Halloween

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Europeans Rebelling Against Halloween

Postby gh » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:19 am

Why, why, that's positively un-American (and that's the point):

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 006&sc=299
gh

Postby wineturtle » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:28 pm

I believe the Irish Catholics brought in over in the 1840's.All Saints Day-All Hollows Eve-is a Catholic Holy Day.
wineturtle

Postby Daisy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:39 pm

When I grew up in the UK it was definitely celebrated but a very different holiday to the US. I don' recall treats but many tricks. It was not uncommon to wake next day with gates hanging from lamposts or worse.

What is so American are the treats and pumpkins and especially the kids out in their cute costumes (bumble bees seem to be very popular) collecting candy. I never saw that aspect of halloween in the UK. Most Brits I know in the US are not too keen on pumpkin pie, I think it's something you have t grow up with.
Daisy

Postby slowcoach » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:46 pm

wineturtle wrote:I believe the Irish Catholics brought in over in the 1840's.All Saints Day-All Hollows Eve-is a Catholic Holy Day.

Dunno about the Irish bringing it over, but Nov 1 is a church Holy day. All Saints is also known as All Hallows. Thus the night before is All Hallows' eve.
slowcoach