Addy

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Addy

Postby gh » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:58 pm

Friday night I drove through Addy, Washington. For some reason the name Addie Pray jumped into my mind. And then Addie Joss. Joss I could ID right away, but it wasn't until I drove through again this morning that I remembered who Addie Pray was.

Can anybody ID either of those two without cheating? (For bonus points, come up with another "notable" Addie or Addy. I couldn't)
gh

Postby gm » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Jangy Addy... Tennessee dec :)
gm

Postby cullman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:02 pm

Addy Joss baseball player...maybe pitcher. Addie Pray was the character played by John McEnroe's ex-wife in "Paper Moon."

cman
cullman

Postby cullman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:16 pm

Pulled this name out of my right brain...Pauline Betz Addie. She was a tennis contemporary of Althea Gibson.

cman
cullman

Postby gh » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:41 am

As Col. Jack O'Neil would say, "Oh crap"; Cullman nailed it right away. I figure Joss (early 1900s HOF pitcher w/ the Indians) would be easy for any serious baseball fan, but figured Pray would be a hangup.
gh

Postby Honusonthesound » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:27 am

Only Addie Joss rings a bell. Easy 'nuff for a fan of baseball history, but no others come to mind. Even after readin' the answers above.

But one interesting tidbit 'bout Addie Joss is that his illness and death resulted in what amounts to the first "All Star" game. Can't remember what that illness was off the top of my head, but as an effort to provide for the surviving wife of this popular (with the other players) player, a large number of 'em agreed to play in this one-off, inter-league, extravaganza, which didn't re-appear in its current form 'till many years later.

Where is Addy, WA? It just sounds like it must be in the wasteland east of the Cascades. As a confirmed western Washingtonian, having once traveled east of the mountains, I've sworn never to return. Too hot fer this boy. Even when it's snowin' it's hot! What would take you through Addy, WA?
Honusonthesound

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:43 am

gm wrote:Jangy Addy... Tennessee dec :)

The problem with the name that popped into your mind, and the one that popped into mine (Megan Addy) is that they are not Things Not T&F.
tandfman

CQ,CQ,CQ,DX

Postby wineturtle » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:02 am

In Contact-the movie -well the book also-wasn't the reverand that W9GFO had an affair with at Aricebo named Palmer Joss----Mathew McConahay(sp/)played him.
KMD1648
wineturtle

Postby gh » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:37 am

Honusonthesound wrote:What would take you through Addy, WA?

It's the fastest way from Arden to Chewelah.
gh