Hotel Showers - Why Do They All Suck??

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Hotel Showers - Why Do They All Suck??

Postby bad hammy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:12 am

I'm in a hotel in Salem, OR, and for the first time I can remember the shower is perfect, meaning:

1. Clean
2. Shower head is at least 4" over my head (I'm 6'1")
3. Good water pressure.
4. Shower head sprays water where it is supposed to.

Number 1 is not a common problem. It is rare to find a hotel bathroom with any real cleanliness issues. (As a germaphobe, I appreciate this.)

But the next three are as common as dirt. Shower heads at chest level, water pressure equal to your average drinking fountain, and broken shower heads spraying out of about 10% of the holes, and those skewed all over the place. Often two or three of these all at once.

I don’t stay at bargain basement joints. I do not travel often and like to stay at nicer places when I do. It just seems that this would not be so hard for hotels to get right, but the vast majority do not.
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:20 am

Really hot water is often an issue too.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:13 am

i only stay at 5 * hotels so i dont have the faintest idea what your talking about. occasionally the terra cloth bathrobe that is provide isnt thick enough or the complimentry champagne is suspect. :P
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby gh » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:15 am

You left out No. 4! That's where in maid school they teach them to make sure the head is pointing straight down over the faucets, and at the same time you make sure the valve is left on shower, so when the client bends over to turn the thing on he gets a cold dousing!

(as for No. 3, flow, I don't think that became an issue until 15-20 years ago when people began to realize that water wasn't an infinite resource)
gh

Postby Vern » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 am

If you've ever wondered how it feels to have a prostatic 90 year old peeing on your chest - and who hasn't - just try any UK hotel with less than 5 stars...
Vern

Postby bad hammy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 am

MJD wrote:Really hot water is often an issue too.

Forgot that one, although I am more of a warm water guy anyways. But the related one is water the fluctuates from too hot to too cold – another common problem.

SQUACKEE wrote: . . . is suspect. :P

Yeah, something is suspect around here . . .

gh wrote:You left out No. 4! That's where in maid school they teach them to make sure the head is pointing straight down over the faucets, and at the same time you make sure the valve is left on shower, so when the client bends over to turn the thing on he gets a cold dousing!

That one hasn’t happened to me. Maybe the maids have it in for you. :wink:

Vern wrote:If you've ever wondered how it feels to have a prostatic 90 year old peeing on your chest - and who hasn't . . .

Simile of the (day/week/month/year)?? I'd be a bit grossed out, but I am the one that put the Rate My Poo link up here.
bad hammy

Postby gh » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:55 am

On a related note, there's also a place in hell for the architects who design hotel/motel bathrooms so that the TP dispenser is invariably in a place where you have to be a contortionist w/ Cirque du Soleil to actually reach the danged thing.
gh

Postby guru » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:05 am

When I travel to meets with my girls, which is about 6-8 times a year, we always stay at Fairfield Inn(Marriott's discount chain) and the showers are always great. In fact, my only complaint is the pressure is so good it makes my shower at my house seem like a trickle.

The free continental breakfast ain't so bad either :D
guru

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 am

Vern wrote:If you've ever wondered how it feels to have a prostatic 90 year old peeing on your chest - and who hasn't - just try any UK hotel with less than 5 stars...

Pretty sure P. J. O'Rourke covered that in his bit about how travelling in Europe is over-rated.
MJD

Postby asu » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:42 am

gh wrote:On a related note, there's also a place in hell for the architects who design hotel/motel bathrooms so that the TP dispenser is invariably in a place where you have to be a contortionist w/ Cirque du Soleil to actually reach the danged thing.

This reminds me of a cartoon I saw recently of a toothbrush and a roll of toilet paper. The toothbrush was complaining about what a lousy job it has and the toilet paper says, "What about me?"
asu

Postby spy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:57 am

It's always necessary to have the toiletpaper dispenser between the shower and the toilet, so that after a steamy soaking you can be assured of a soggy wipe.
spy

Postby kuha » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:50 am

Ah, hotel horror stories! Where oh where to start? I agree with all the observations above and have experienced them all... The latest "trick" that I've experienced (and have heard of others experiencing as well) is that the alarm has been set to go off at 3:42am or some such hideous hour. If you don't think to check it and turn the damned thing off before you go to sleep, surprise, surprise, you'll be getting up at 3:42am.

A good friend of mine (meaning, this story is really TRUE, despite the fact that he's a pole vaulter) stayed in a new hotel outside Oklahoma City a while back--on the 2nd floor. He was awakened by a strange rustling sound and turned the light on to find a rattle snake on the floor. Now, it was a small one, but it was still a RATTLE SNAKE!!!!! He hustled down to reception and they somehow got the thing out of there. All travelers through Oklahome: beware.
kuha

Which way?

Postby wineturtle » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:06 am

Thus bringing us to the never ending Question..Over the Top or Out from the Bottom?
Is there anyone out there who doesnot have a preference?
I spent 5 years living with an 'out the bottom' while I'm an 'over the top', she would change it from top to bottom,I'd come along and change it back...........
and that *u&%ing spring thingie would always land behind the bowl and then it was on all fours groping for it.Relationship issues can be weird............. :?
wineturtle

Re: Which way?

Postby bad hammy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:33 am

wineturtle wrote:Thus bringing us to the never ending Question..Over the Top or Out from the Bottom?

You need to start a new poll. Over the top is the only way to go.
bad hammy

Postby maggot » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:15 pm

bad hammy wrote:
wineturtle wrote:Thus bringing us to the never ending Question..Over the Top or Out from the Bottom?

You need to start a new poll. Over the top is the only way to go.

If you have little kids or kittens, it's out from the bottom.
maggot

Postby Jim Rorick » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Another delight is when the sink area is in a separate room from toilet/shower and the towels are all in one of the rooms. No hand towels/wash rags for sink area when the towels are in toilet/shower room. Or, even worse, no bath towels after shower when all towels in sink area. Probably not a problem for single folks, but for couples getting ready at the same time. All of the problems on this thread could be avoided if, when refurbishing, some of the hotel owners/managers would actually stay in the rooms for a night before opening them to the public. And don't even talk about the horribly uncomfortable chairs.
Jim Rorick

Postby Vern » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Is there anyone out there who doesnot have a preference?
I spent 5 years living with an 'out the bottom' while I'm an 'over the top', she would change it from top to bottom,I'd come along and change it back...........
and that *u&%ing spring thingie would always land behind the bowl and then it was on all fours groping for it.Relationship issues can be weird............. :?

I give up, what does this mean?! The more I try to interpret it, the more confused I become. It's not sexual is it?
Vern

Postby maggot » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:24 pm

wineturtle wrote:I spent 5 years living with an 'out the bottom' while I'm an 'over the top', she would change it from top to bottom,I'd come along and change it back...........

That's something to specify if one is doing any online dating.
maggot

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:51 pm

Vern wrote:I give up, what does this mean?! The more I try to interpret it, the more confused I become. It's not sexual is it?

On the off chance that you're serious, this was the topic of the greatest debate ever in the Ann Landers advice column. Should the toilet paper come over the top, or down from the bottom? It raged for weeks and I think 'over the top' won - which is my preference and the ONLY logical way to do it!

But my hotel shower problem hasn't been addressed yet. Why is the water in EVERY motel in the USA so hard?! You have to rub the soap for 10 minutes to get 5 bubbles of lather. That drives me crazy! I dump five of those little hotel complimentary shampoo bottles on my head to get one good wash. Then you have to pile on the conditioner or you will end up with the worst case of frizzies imaginable! SHEESH.
tafnut

Postby gh » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:00 pm

As I recall, Eugene's water is very soft.
gh

Postby spy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:25 pm

Out the bottom/over the top is a question which necesarily is limited to home discussion.

In hotels, it has to be over the top (not my preference). Otherwise, the chambermaids would not be able to leave that cute folded "point", visually alerting me to the location of Sheet No. 1.
spy

Postby Vern » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:48 pm

tafnut wrote:
Vern wrote:I give up, what does this mean?! The more I try to interpret it, the more confused I become. It's not sexual is it?

On the off chance that you're serious, this was the topic of the greatest debate ever in the Ann Landers advice column. Should the toilet paper come over the top, or down from the bottom? It raged for weeks and I think 'over the top' won - which is my preference and the ONLY logical way to do it!

Edit - DP
Last edited by Vern on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vern

Postby Vern » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:48 pm

Vern wrote:
tafnut wrote:

I was being serious, have never heard of Ann Landers and remain neutral in the matter of synthetic fecal absorbents. But thanks for the info :D
Vern