Local Lingo for Carbonated Soft Drinks

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

What do you call Carbonated Soft drinks

Soda
42%
Pop
25%
Coke
25%
Other pls specify
8%

Total votes : 12

Local Lingo for Carbonated Soft Drinks

Postby wineturtle » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:03 pm

What do you call carbonated soft drinks?Image

Edit to give props to tonkarunguy for the link(of course when he did it ,it workedLOL!)
Last edited by wineturtle on Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wineturtle

Postby slowcoach » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:33 am

Fizzy. (Obviously :? )
slowcoach

Re: Local Lingo for Carbonated Soft Drinks

Postby slowcoach » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:39 am

wineturtle wrote:What do you call carbonated soft drinks?Image

You only use the image tags to display an image, Tom. That link points to a HTML page, so you just enter the link in your post with no tags, or alternately enter a link to an image with image tags:

slowcoach

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:12 am

That map is way cool, and I now see that all my fellow Connectictians also call it soda, but I had always wondered why someone would call ANY drink a coke, when coke refers to ONE brand . . . until someone pointed out that Kleenex was just one brand and so was Ping Pong and many other similar instances of one product being so closely associated with a generic category. I think I read that 'Coke' was the most identifiable brand name in the world. Talk about MARKETING success.
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:13 am

by the map my family was in the minority in the bay area. if my brother had a bottle of 7-up i would ask him, "can i have a drink of your coke." never thought it was wierd at the time but now it sounds strange
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:29 am

I have to admit that map fascinates me!

Questions:

1. Why does that one big Nebraska county say pop over soda?

2. Why does the region in Missouri and Illinois stand out as soda people?

3. Was it ever made clearer that Arizona is a suburb of California and New Mexico of Texas?

4. Why is the tip of Oklahoma's Panhandle so coke, and the Colorado county right above it so pop?

American sub-cultures are so ill-understood and this map is a treasure trove of information!
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:37 am

>American sub-cultures are so ill-understood and this map is a treasure trove of information!<

oh ma gawd! you sound so like a teacher. with a pinch of geek. :arrow: :D arrow points to guy smiling which means im just kidding :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:02 am

oh ma gawd! you sound so like a teacher. with a pinch of geek.

Squack, my man, you might have just won yourself a TAFNY for overstating the obvious!! :lol:
tafnut

Postby slowcoach » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:37 am

I forgot to mention that we here refer to all of that type of bevvy as soft.

e.g. "I'm driving, I'll have a soft drink."

It's really kids that call them fizzy drinks.
slowcoach

Still a tad too wide!!

Postby wineturtle » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:44 am

Slowcoach thaks for the fix-me-up...old dogs and new tricks can be pretty funny to watch.
Tafnut Loves the map for it's multi faceted sociocentric subcultural nuances.....I think it's just a new definition of Red and Blue States!!
Can some one over lay the Political Red and Blues????
wineturtle

Postby slowcoach » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:54 am

And California is green(ish). Quite apt.
slowcoach

Postby gh » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:03 pm

Does Texas have more counties than any other two states combined?
gh

Postby lonewolf49 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:24 pm

Not quite.

Texas 254 counties

Georgina 159 counties
Kentucky 120 counties =

On a technicality :
Virginia 95 counties + 39 indepenent cities = 134
lonewolf49

Postby lonewolf49 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:55 pm

After studying the map, I am verrry sceptical about some of the local abberations in purported nomenclature for soft drinks.
As a native Okie, I believe the "pop" term is much more commonly used than "coke" as reported..There are three contiguous counties in SW Oklahoma credited with varying percentaes of "coke" I was born and raised in one of those counties, one quarter mile and four miles from the other two . I attended school in all three and we all said "pop"
The big yellow county in north central Nebraska is Cherry county, county seat Valentine. I cannot speak to local nomenclature in Cherry county but several years ago when Coca Cola introduced "New Coke" and classic "old" coke became difficult to impossbile to find, I stumbled on a treasure trove of "old coke" in a rural convenience store in Valentine. I bought all my trunk would hold, brought it home and kinda hid it in my garage, planning to ration it out until Coca Cola came to its senses. My teen age daughter threw a pool party and decimated my stash of old coke.
She has long since been forgiven.
lonewolf49

Postby EPelle » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:29 pm

Always that it was strange when someone ordered a Coke but really wanted a Fanta. Some places I have been - including CA, which does not reflect this on the population map slowcoach linked - every carbonated drink is referred to as coke. Waiter/waitress then asks what kind of coke, to which one replies Pepsi, Sprite, Fanta and/or whatever else you have over there.
EPelle