HAMBURGER OR HOT DOG

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

HAMBURGER OR HOTDOG

hamburger
73%
hotdog
27%

Total votes : 15

HAMBURGER OR HOT DOG

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:28 am

one of the biggest battles the worlds ever seen.

me? ball park-dog

anywhere else burger w/ cheese and the buns toasted!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:36 am

Have you ever seen what goes into either one? They are BOTH nasty - which doesn't ever stop me from chowing down on either. But of the two, hot dogs are MUCH nastier! (basically anything swept up from the butcher shop floor, INCLUDING the kitty litter from the box in the corner)
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:45 am

you cant think about whats in it. do you know how many bug parts are allowed in your rice crispies? :cry:

but a dog grilled to perfection with those black marks and spicy mustard. fogetaboutit :P
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:10 am

Guilty pleasures both, but if I gotta choose, I go with the dog.

As for the problems associated with the actual contents, go with Niman Ranch dogs and grind your own meat for the burgers. Best I've made were a combo of fresh ground beef, pork and turkey. Or go with buffalo or ostrich - both fine and healthier substitutes.
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:58 am

what do you mean guilty pleasure, it looks harmless to me. :lol:
http://www.marilinda.com/portfolio/burg ... burger.jpg :wink:
SQUACKEE

Postby wineturtle » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Hey ,who knew?
Last edited by wineturtle on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wineturtle

Postby gh » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm

bad hammy wrote:As for the problems associated with the actual contents, go with Niman Ranch dogs and grind your own meat for the burgers. Best I've made were a combo of fresh ground beef, pork and turkey. Or go with buffalo or ostrich - both fine and healthier substitutes.

You've lost sight of what "junk food" is all about!
gh

Julia Child and wineturtle agree

Postby wineturtle » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:34 pm

1990 South Street Seaport American Beer Festival-A panel that included Fritz Maytag,Julia Child and your own wineturtle,voted Papaya King(Poulos Family)
the Perfect Frank. I know there is a link available I just can not find it!!

BUTI'm a Corner Bistro Hamberger guy with Jackson Hole a close second>
wineturtle

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:23 pm

I voted for hamburger, everything else being equal, but there are many variables that would make hot dog my choice somewhat often.

( Boy are we all getting hard up for something to talk about.... )
dukehjsteve

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:39 pm

gh wrote:
bad hammy wrote:As for the problems associated with the actual contents, go with Niman Ranch dogs and grind your own meat for the burgers. Best I've made were a combo of fresh ground beef, pork and turkey. Or go with buffalo or ostrich - both fine and healthier substitutes.

You've lost sight of what "junk food" is all about!

Once you've read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser(sp) you'll never look at mystery meat the same way. Slabs of steak, pork chops, not a problem. Hamburger and hot dogs - those are other things altogether.
Last edited by bad hammy on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bad hammy

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:41 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:( Boy are we all getting hard up for something to talk about.... )

Its the 'Things Not T&F' board. This subject qualifies. :)
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:42 pm

My question is best case. the best hot dog you could ever imagine. gosher this and gosher that. against a sirlion steak burger with all the fixins. maybe your dogs got a bit of world class chili on her. cheese? onioins? peppers? sure, you got it. and mr. burger, you want some fresh ground pepper, or sour cream? bacon? tomatoes?

hey dog man, what about cheese on that? can i get cha some salsa? boiled, fried, charbroiled? pickles? relish? sourgraut? sure dog man!

now people did deep down into your soul and ask yourself...dog or burger?

make your voice heard now. this may be your last chance
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm

Hey, wineturtle, crop that picture! You've ruined this thread. :evil: Now we have to scroll left to right to read these pearls of mystery meat wisdom. Please fix it . . .
bad hammy

Postby kuha » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:16 am

Wineturtle: Nice shot! Struth and Gursky have nothing on you!

In regard to this important poll: I'll go with hamburger, but the dogs are a great guilty pleasure. Note: My standard "dinner" before Zurich is a brat with mustard from one of the street stands set up between the meet hotel and the stadium--it tastes so GOOD (sorry tafnut, do I need to ban myself for another 3 weeks?).
kuha

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:28 am

oh yeah, now were talking. as you can see the burger is getting all the heat. but i remember enjoying bratwurst in germany circa 1972. there for the olympics. there was a stand at every railway station. amazingly good and the fries were great also. :P
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:30 am

I stand alone as the only dog voter?? You people make me sick!!! :wink:
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:58 am

LONELY IS THE GENIUS :idea:
SQUACKEE

Re: Julia Child and wineturtle agree

Postby KevinM » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:41 am

wineturtle wrote:BUTI'm a Corner Bistro Hamberger guy with Jackson Hole a close second>

I certainly bow to your more refined palette, Tom. However, I'm going to have to go with Island Burger ahead of Jackson Hole. You're dead-on with Corner Bistro, however. Now I need your take on best slice/pie. Grimaldi's? Sal and Carmine's? Lombardi's?
KevinM

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:46 am

gotta go with the dog

in athens, inside the complex, i got 2 dogs ( looked outta a tin, but they were ok )/time which tasted great when accompanied by a 0.5 litre of heineken costing about 1 euro/shot ( can't remember the exact price, but the beer was damn cheap ! )

by Image of heineken, the 4th dog was tasting damn good !

however, it usually ended up as Image
eldrick

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:43 am

lets hear it for our secound dog man! i wanna party with. you could caculate how many beers and dogs i could eat without spewing. :P :oops:
SQUACKEE

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:57 am

SQUACKEE wrote:lets hear it for our secound dog man! i wanna party with. you could caculate how many beers and dogs i could eat without spewing. :P :oops:

i'm wary of sending that question to:

http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

as i'm still waiting for a answer to that

question
eldrick

Re: Julia Child and wineturtle agree

Postby wineturtle » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:58 pm

KevinM wrote:
wineturtle wrote:BUTI'm a Corner Bistro Hamberger guy with Jackson Hole a close second>

I certainly bow to your more refined palette, Tom. However, I'm going to have to go with Island Burger ahead of Jackson Hole. You're dead-on with Corner Bistro, however. Now I need your take on best slice/pie. Grimaldi's? Sal and Carmine's? Lombardi's?

Heard good things about Island Burger but never had one.Kevin you're in Bklyn I believe... The only big gun I've missed is Domenico Di Fara's place in Midwood so my choices are:
**Pie-Totonno's Neptune Ave I try to hit it right before the dinner rush when they refuel the fire 4-4:30 ,once they start pumpin out the dinner pick-ups the oven drops a bit and you get the char but not the big blister.
**Slice-Sac's on B'way 29St Astoria-coal fired brick oven pie by the slice. 2Pm after Lunch rush when they refuel or the 8:30 re-fuel gives you best for whole pie but during dinner rush the pies come out ,get sliced and sold so you get a freshly cooked slice, no reheat needed.
Best Historical Pie-Patsys on 118 and First when Carmela cooked at night and it was a full service restaurant.The chain is nothing like the old days. The chain cooks at 118 still put out a fair pie but the rest of the locations are Steak and Brew like.( This is the family that became Grimaldis in Brooklyn.)
***Trattoria L'incontro- Ditmars and 31 St is the best of the "young Turks" individual pie with trendy toppings gendre-stick with a plain pie or a traditional topping - Sausage from the same guy that supplies Rao's- Joes Sausage 37St and Ditmars.
NYC"S BEST Coal Fired Brick Oven.
wineturtle

Postby bad hammy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:35 am

eldrick wrote:gotta go with the dog

You, sir, are a genius.
bad hammy

Postby Vern » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:57 am

Tartare a la Vern (must find those accents soon):

500g Finely Chopped Argentian Rump
1 Free Range Egg Yolk
1 tbsp Chopped Parsley
2 tbsp Finely Chopped Red Onion
2 tbsp Anchovies - salty as f...
4 Sam Adams

Leave in fridge until the last minute, crack egg on beef. Dust with s&p, surround with the rest, drink the beer. Quickly.

Beats a burger, and crushes a hangover.
Vern

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:11 am

god bless you vern for using one of my favorite words in the english language....RUMP! 8)
SQUACKEE

Postby eldrick » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:12 am

Vern wrote: (must find those accents soon):

c&p from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic
eldrick

Postby Jnathletics » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:01 pm

tafnut wrote:Have you ever seen what goes into either one? They are BOTH nasty - which doesn't ever stop me from chowing down on either. But of the two, hot dogs are MUCH nastier! (basically anything swept up from the butcher shop floor, INCLUDING the kitty litter from the box in the corner)

One man's trash is another man's treasure, give me a hot dog anyday. :D

Wasn't penicillin discovered in the trash? So, it all can't be bad. :shock:
Jnathletics

Postby lonewolf49 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:15 pm

Chicken Fried Steak
lonewolf49