The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby slowcoach » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:05 am

mojo wrote:Can't you name three famous (and for you taf no athletes, singers or movie stars! ) Canucks?

This page didn't turn up its nose at athletes or entertainers. Aren't authors entertaining, anyway?

http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Canadians/

My 3: Donovan Bailey, Ben Johnson and Bruny Surin.

If they must be born, bred and reared in Canuckland, then the Last (3) Mohicans.
slowcoach

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:03 am

30 million, 80 million?

details, details

there's a bunch of them - what's more to know?

I am seriously blanking on famous Canadian authors!!
tafnut

Postby mojo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:15 am

Alice Munro, Margaret Atwood, Rohinton Mistry, Michael Ondaatje .

We have many wonderful authors. Gone are the days where reading Canadian Lit was something you only did under duress at school.
mojo

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:53 am

tafnut wrote:
mojo wrote:Can't you name three famous (and for you taf no athletes, singers or movie stars! ) Canucks?

you mean besides you, gh and MJD?!

well, the obvious ones are (non-athletes, but singers/actors DO count!)

Pierre Trudeau (and wacky wife)
Shania
Celine
Jim Carrey
Alex Trebek
Anne Murray
Peter Jennings
William Shatner!
Alanis Morrisette

I would consider only about half of these people to be famous on their own in Canada. Anne Murray and possible Celine Dion were originally home-grown talent who became successful domestically (Trudeau, sure, but political figures don't really count). Alanis Morrisette was famous for having green goo dumped on her head ("You Can't Do That On Television"), and tried an unsuccessful pop sound before an agent shifted her toward the Jagged Little Pill angst sound. This is what I was implying in my earlier post. Most "famous" Canadians are famous because their careers took off only after moving to (or becoming majorly marketed in) the US.

I think of all the professions, acting/film is the least likely to produce recognizable faces beyond the border. My personal choice for the most "famous" Canadian (non-US marketed) actor is Gordon Pinsent. The most likely profession to produce local talent is the music industry, followed closely by literature. However, even the music industry is somewhat of a grey area, because the artists are marketed to a US audience (although Gordon Lightfoot, Barenaked Ladies, Nickelback, etc..., were successful at home before branching out).

This isn't to say there is no Canadian talent. Far from it, actually. It only speaks volumes about the dependence on American media culture.
JRM

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:01 am

mojo wrote:Alice Munro, Margaret Atwood, Rohinton Mistry, Michael Ondaatje .
We have many wonderful authors. Gone are the days where reading Canadian Lit was something you only did under duress at school.

Yeah, as I was saying, I can't think of any famous authors. :)
tafnut

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:03 am

mojo wrote:Alice Munro, Margaret Atwood, Rohinton Mistry, Michael Ondaatje .

Also Margaret Lawrence, Lucy Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables), Robertson Davies, and Mordecai Richler, to name a few more. More recent literary talent includes sci-fi authors Robert J. Sawyer and William Gibson, who revived/reformulated the "cyberpunk" genre with "Neuromancer".

Yeah, as I was saying, I can't think of any famous authors. :)

C'mon, Taffy! At least Alice Munro must ring a bell!
JRM

Postby slowcoach » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:10 am

Maybe Saul Bellow might ring a bell?
slowcoach

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:15 am

slowcoach wrote:Maybe Saul Bellow might ring a bell?

Does Quasimodo ring a bell? :)
JRM

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:18 am

Saul Bellow?! - Chicagoian through and through! He may have been been born in Canada, but his literary influences are USA. As far as Munro goes, while I have heard of her short stories, I doubt I 've ever read her, and I know I've never taught her work. Sorry.

Taf 'The Philistine TOE' nut
tafnut

Postby slowcoach » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:29 am

tafnut wrote:Saul Bellow?! - Chicagoian through and through! He may have been been born in Canada, but his literary influences are USA. As far as Munro goes, while I have heard of her short stories, I doubt I 've ever read her, and I know I've never taught her work. Sorry.

Taf 'The Philistine TOE' nut

Perhaps you're right, taf. He may have been a Chicagoan.

So that validates my three as famous Canucks. :)
slowcoach

Postby Daisy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:30 pm

MJD wrote:And that's why you get things like fox hunting-the whole gene pool dispersion thing.

You're confusing the normal folks with the aristrocrats. The fact is the class system is still so strong in the UK that I'm not sure I have ever spoken to an aristocrat. I did nearly get run down by one when out for a run at the same time as the hunt. "Get orf the path!" was what I heard as I jumped for the ditch ( a little melodrama i actually just moved aside).

They have a different school system, hang out with 'their own' at university and party I know not where. They then go on to highly paid jobs in the city (aka nepotism) and regularly marry their second cousin (that's your inbreeding part). As far as I know the gene pool for the rest of us is in pretty good shape.
Daisy

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:17 pm

Daisy wrote:As far as I know the gene pool for the rest of us is in pretty good shape.

I should hope so! With all the Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Bretons, Celts, Nords, Swedes, Danes, etc. in your last 2000 years, you guys are as much mongrels as we are!
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:17 pm

mrs. bad hammy was a Canuck (but moved here at age 3 – it was transitory – her folks are from Denmark).

Outside of Bill Shatner, the most famous Canadian is Paul Shaffer. Note to Canadians: wanna become famous in US – have a last name beginning with Sha.
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Man, I am REALLY glad to hear that Paul Shaffer is not American - he creeps me out - he looks like a turtle without his shell! He is, however, the best sycophant since Ed McMahon.
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:28 pm

tafnut wrote:He is, however, the best sycophant since Ed McMahon.

Going back to the original SNL, the Blues Brothers and numerous special-event bands, Paul is the best band leader out there today.
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:15 pm

Man, has this ever got side-tracked. The US has already sent advance teams
but they can't find the border.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:19 pm

If this thing does end up in war, I predict the over and under is 2 weeks and I'll take the over - winter's coming and we won't have enough woolie long johns - it'll drag out till spring when we'll lose interest and move on to other stuff. If there was ever a nation with ADD/ADHD, it's us!
tafnut

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:26 pm

MJD wrote:Man, has this ever got side-tracked. The US has already sent advance teams
but they can't find the border.

I don't know what's funnier about that article. The fact that Minutemen are patrolling the Canadian border (they're doing the same in Washington state), or the name of the group protesting their actions -- the Raging Grannies.

Also, I don't think the minutemen should be allowed to co-opt the title "Civil Defense". That's reserved for 1950s cold-war, nuclear doomsday mania. I just watched a bunch of the old public Civil Defense films which I found on DVD. Great stuff! "Duck and Cover" is by far the best, though. For those who have never seen this classic piece of Americana Paranoia, check out the review and the film:

http://conelrad.com/duckandcover/cover.php?turtle=01
JRM

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:35 pm

I'd say this is the funniest quote in that article:

"Several members set off to watch a stretch of border on a bike path along Lake Memphremagog but ended up lost."

It looks like something out of The Onion. There can't really be a lake with that name, can there?
MJD

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Oh yeah, 'Memphremagog' is Native American, Oneidan, for "look at those nitwits patrolling the border."
tafnut

Postby eldrick » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:07 pm

tafnut wrote:
Daisy wrote:As far as I know the gene pool for the rest of us is in pretty good shape.

I should hope so! With all the Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Bretons, Celts, Nords, Swedes, Danes, etc. in your last 2000 years, you guys are as much mongrels as we are!

apart from the celts, i believe all he rest are all just varieties of "germans", so i don't think there is that much mongrelisation ( all those invaders were genetically pretty much the same )

from brittanica, i remember reading all the germanic tribes migrated from southern scandanavia ~ 3000y ago, into central/western europe

strictly i suppose, they are probably mostly all scandanavian descendants ( "german" is probably only a relevant demarcation in terms of their different languages/dialects )
eldrick

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:34 am

mojo wrote:Name three famous Canadians.

I assume that this contest has expired.

Here are ten.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:19 am

MJD wrote:Here are ten.

AG Bell is the only famous 'famous' one, and of course his work was done in the USA. :o
tafnut

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:27 am

Hardly. You can trace a direct line from Brantford to the TFN website.

"It was in Brantford that Bell's greatest idea was born."
MJD

Postby tafnut » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:21 am

MJD wrote:Hardly. You can trace a direct line from Brantford to the TFN website."

You must get very good reception then!
tafnut

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:18 am

Note that there are two Brantford types on that list of 10.
Last edited by MJD on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby JRM » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 am

tafnut wrote:
MJD wrote:Here are ten.

AG Bell is the only famous 'famous' one, and of course his work was done in the USA. :o

Wayne who?
JRM

Postby tafnut » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:05 am

JRM wrote:Wayne who?

Wayne Chung TONIGHT! [athletes were not fair game, cuz we can name quite a few tracksters!]
tafnut

Postby JRM » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:58 am

tafnut wrote:
JRM wrote:Wayne who?

Wayne Chung TONIGHT! [athletes were not fair game, cuz we can name quite a few tracksters!]

Thanks for putting that song in my head...

Also, I don't think politicians should count either. Of course, if those Canucks did things the good ol' California way, Wayne Gretzky would *be* one too -- the Great One Prime Minister, anyone? Popularity and star-struckness before qualifications!
JRM

Postby mojo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 pm

MJD wrote:
mojo wrote:Name three famous Canadians.

I assume that this contest has expired.

Here are ten.

Most of those people are only "famous' up here.

Thanks for the additional authors JRM- you named some great ones!

Those Minutemen guys and gals are so creepy-look like Hells Angels /KluKlux Klan members. :shock: :shock: :twisted:
mojo

Postby cullman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:05 pm

I can name five off the top of my head...the Dionne quintuplets. So is Boston's favourite son, Bobby Orr. Howabout Elizabeth Arden, Percy Faith, Jim Naismith, Fred Banting and Winnie the Pooh? If you guys think Alex Bell (wasn't he born in Scotland?) and Jim Naismith are American, then I guess we can claim Leon Trotsky, The Friendly Giant and Gugu Marconi as Canadian because they did some of their best work north of the 49th. Sitting Bull lived in Canada for four years. Sister Aimee Semple was Canadian and so was Superman co-creator, Joe Shuster but they did their best work due south.

If a wall was put up between the Canada and US border, I'd miss the Red Sox, bourbon and Veronica Mars. :lol:

cman
cullman

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Read another article today that the USAnian public couldn't care less about Paul Martin's comments on the softwood issue. Stop talking about it and turn off the oil taps. THEN they would pay attention.
MJD

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:54 pm

eldrick wrote:
tafnut wrote:

apart from the celts, i believe all he rest are all just varieties of "germans", so i don't think there is that much mongrelisation ( all those invaders were genetically pretty much the same )

Historically, don't forget the Romans. And recently contributions from the african and asian gene pool are common. But not among the aritocrats.
Daisy

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Didn't this all start with the fact that the country has never been successfully invaded? It looks like you've been overrun several times.
MJD

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:17 pm

MJD wrote:Didn't this all start with the fact that the country has never been successfully invaded? It looks like you've been overrun several times.

well not since 1066. theroetically everyone since then has been welcomed with open arms.
Daisy

Postby slowcoach » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Daisy wrote:
MJD wrote:Didn't this all start with the fact that the country has never been successfully invaded? It looks like you've been overrun several times.

well not since 1066. theroetically everyone since then has been welcomed with open arms.

Or since then they've been doing the overrunning. :evil:
slowcoach

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:40 pm

77% say cut off the US:

Go for it.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:09 pm

From that article:

Seventy-one per cent of respondents agreed with the statement: "I value and respect the United States and its citizens -- it's just that I disagree fundamentally with their government."

At the risk of getting this post or thread pulled, that's about the same as on this side of the border.

Edit: and the funny/sad thing about this story on trade issues is that 99% of Americans don't have any idea it is one (a story, that is).
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:34 pm

Do you think they would if they turned off the taps? My guess would be yes.
Last edited by MJD on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:46 pm

Well, then it would be back to those Canuck invasion plans for us.
bad hammy

PreviousNext