The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby MJD » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:35 pm

"The Chinese oil ambitions in Canada, which intensified yesterday when Mr. McCallum met two of China's most powerful oil executives, are a key element in the Liberal government's aggressive push to diversify Canada's energy sales away from its traditional U.S. markets in the aftermath of the softwood-lumber dispute.

Despite denials from Ottawa, the government's new strategy of pitching oil to China is widely seen as a pressure tactic against Washington after its refusal to comply with the NAFTA softwood ruling. The Americans are ignoring a ruling by a North American free-trade agreement panel that U.S. tariffs on softwood lumber are illegal under U.S. trade law."


Give us our damn duties back
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:45 pm

MJD wrote:"The Chinese oil ambitions in Canada, which intensified yesterday when Mr. McCallum met two of China's most powerful oil executives, are a key element in the Liberal government's aggressive push to diversify Canada's energy sales away from its traditional U.S. markets in the aftermath of the softwood-lumber dispute.

Despite denials from Ottawa, the government's new strategy of pitching oil to China is widely seen as a pressure tactic against Washington after its refusal to comply with the NAFTA softwood ruling. The Americans are ignoring a ruling by a North American free-trade agreement panel that U.S. tariffs on softwood lumber are illegal under U.S. trade law."


Give us our damn duties back

Should have taken your country back in the 18th century when we had the chance. Now its like not taking Saddam out in 1991 - we'll just have to come back in again . . :wink:
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby guru » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Not a chance. Where would we go then for affordable prescription drugs? Image
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:50 pm

bad hammy wrote:we'll just have to come back in again . . :wink:


Problem with this strategy is that:

1) Too many insurgents have embedded themselves in the US. The resistance would play havoc on the home front.

2) Isn't your army in Iraq for the forseeable future?

3) I'll let MJD add this one.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby tafnut » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:11 pm

Guys, guys, guys - think outside the box. Put a blockade on US TV, music, and movies and those Canuckians will cave in a week. MJD will lead the overthrow if can't download tunes any more.
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:19 pm

Daisy wrote:2) Isn't your army in Iraq for the forseeable future?

Not my army - I am an army of one, and I am not (quite fortunately) in Iraq.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:22 pm

tafnut wrote:Guys, guys, guys - think outside the box. Put a blockade on US TV, music, and movies and those Canuckians will cave in a week. MJD will lead the overthrow if can't download tunes any more.

Oh, and block all of their IP addresses from accessing US sites also.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:24 pm

bad hammy wrote:I am an army of one, and I am not (quite fortunately) in Iraq.


You're right, they'll roll over (laughingImage) when they see you coming.

Isn't tlb747 in Iraq? He manages to post a bit too which always amazes me. If you're reading lets hope the elections go well. Keep safe.
Last edited by Daisy on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:26 pm

Daisy wrote:You're right, they'll roll over (laughing) when they see you coming.

So you've seen me.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:27 pm

bad hammy wrote:So you've seen me.


No, just an excuse to use one of the eldrick inspired icons :-)
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby MJD » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:29 pm

bad hammy wrote:Oh, and block all of their IP addresses from accessing US sites also.


Are you kidding me? I have redundancies on top of redundancies.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:35 pm

MJD wrote:Are you kidding me? I have redundancies on top of redundancies.

Don't forget - Al Gore invented the Internet. We'll put him on the 'block the Canadians' job. He has spare time.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:50 pm

bad hammy wrote:Should have taken your country back in the 18th century when we had the chance


that part of my history experience is poor

why didn't we ever see

ImageImageImage

?
Last edited by eldrick on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby MJD » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:53 pm

bad hammy wrote:
MJD wrote:Are you kidding me? I have redundancies on top of redundancies.

Don't forget - Al Gore invented the Internet. We'll put him on the 'block the Canadians' job. He has spare time.


Then I definitely have nothing to worry about.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:26 pm

eldrick wrote:
bad hammy wrote:Should have taken your country back in the 18th century when we had the chance


that part of my history experience is poor

why didn't we ever see

ImageImageImage

?

I'm no expert there. I believe there were opportunities during the Revolutionary and 1812 wars that the US was not able to capitalize on.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:30 pm

Coincidently today is the anniversary of the Norman invasion of Britain. The last time Britain was successfully invaded.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:57 am

And that's why you get things like fox hunting-the whole gene pool dispersion thing.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:19 am

MJD wrote:And that's why you get things like fox hunting-the whole gene pool dispersion thing.


:lol:

Jon, Chris, and Mark excepted, of course!
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:33 am

Daisy and Mark got out-Jon is helping to continue the problem.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:57 am

MJD wrote:Daisy and Mark got out-Jon is helping to continue the problem.


Big nose and ears, no chin, bad teeth, huh? :o

[oh wait that was the Tudors, not the Windsors!]
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:58 am

tafnut wrote:
MJD wrote:Daisy and Mark got out-Jon is helping to continue the problem.


Big nose and ears, no chin, bad teeth, huh? :o

[!]


You've seen Jon's pic I gather. :shock: :shock: :lol:
mojo
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: at the finish line freezing my butt off

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:23 am

MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:33 am



That is both the saddest, yet funniest thing I've seen in a while - and TOTALLY BELIEVABLE. Americans really have no clue what's going on anywhere else (or where the heck it is). Even the militance is sadly not surprising. Wow :(
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby bad hammy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:39 pm


You particularly like that because Canada was never mentioned.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:51 pm

I think one guy did but we do like to stay below the radar(until the oil taps get shot off). Here is today's article:

"Mr. Martin said he told the President that Canada was prepared to litigate the issue in the U.S. courts and make a vocal argument to the American public that the tariffs raise the cost of lumber products to consumers there."

Including everyone rebuilding after the hurricanes. These duties go to the lumber companies.

Give us our damn duties back
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby JRM » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:36 pm

tafnut wrote:Guys, guys, guys - think outside the box. Put a blockade on US TV, music, and movies and those Canuckians will cave in a week.


Well, they already have the CBC with home-grown programming like "Air Farce", "Red Green", and "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", which they actually think are entertaining.... :twisted:
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:38 pm

bad hammy wrote:

You particularly like that because Canada was never mentioned.


Just listened again-Canada gets mentioned 31 seconds in.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:38 pm

tafnut wrote:


That is both the saddest, yet funniest thing I've seen in a while - and TOTALLY BELIEVABLE. Americans really have no clue what's going on anywhere else (or where the heck it is). Even the militance is sadly not surprising. Wow :(



You teach them.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby MJD » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:49 pm

JRM wrote:Well, they already have the CBC with home-grown programming like "Air Farce", "Red Green", and "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", which they actually think are entertaining.... :twisted:


Speaking of "This Hour", USAnians are basically retarded when they talk about their big commodity supplier:

http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:51 pm

MJD wrote:You teach them.


I PROMISE you that NONE of my students are that clueless. We're big on the Big Picture here.
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:24 pm

Hey taf- just for fun why don't you ask your kids a few questions about canada and see how they do.

What is the capital?

What is the population?

How many provinces are there?

Name three famous Canadians.

Without any coaching :wink: from you see how theydo.
mojo
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: at the finish line freezing my butt off

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:33 pm

mojo wrote:Hey taf- just for fun why don't you ask your kids a few questions about canada and see how they do.

What is the capital?
What is the population?
How many provinces are there?
Name three famous Canadians.
Without any coaching :wink: from you see how theydo.


They'll do as well as me:
Ottawa
no idea - 80 mil?
no idea - 12?
We get confused down here, because of a very popular game called, "Canadian or Dead?", where famous people are given and you have to figure out which they are, leaving us with the fuzzy notion that the two are interchangeable! :o
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby JRM » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:38 pm

mojo wrote:Name three famous Canadians.


You mean three Canadians that are famous in Canada, or famous because they made it big because they moved to the USA? ;)
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Postby JRM » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:41 pm

MJD wrote:
JRM wrote:Well, they already have the CBC with home-grown programming like "Air Farce", "Red Green", and "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", which they actually think are entertaining.... :twisted:


Speaking of "This Hour", USAnians are basically retarded when they talk about their big commodity supplier:

http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/


Oh brother, still on about that "Questions to Americans" thing? That was six years ago!
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:41 pm

I just looked up the answers to Qs 2 & 3.

2. not even close
3. pretty darned close, except three of your 'Provinces' have populations smaller than a medium-sized football stadium seating capacity!!
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Can't you name three famous (and for you taf no athletes, singers or movie stars! ) Canucks?

Nice game too. :roll:

Won't tell you about the game we call "Americans- Dead or Alive?" :twisted:
mojo
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: at the finish line freezing my butt off

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:12 pm

mojo wrote:Can't you name three famous (and for you taf no athletes, singers or movie stars! ) Canucks?


you mean besides you, gh and MJD?!

well, the obvious ones are (non-athletes, but singers/actors DO count!)

Pierre Trudeau (and wacky wife)
Shania
Celine
Jim Carrey
Alex Trebek
Anne Murray
Peter Jennings
William Shatner!
Alanis Morrisette
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:27 pm

That's one. Only two to go.

And you call yourself a TOE??? Canadian writers please!
mojo
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: at the finish line freezing my butt off

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:20 am

JRM wrote:Oh brother, still on about that "Questions to Americans" thing? That was six years ago!


Still funny. USAnians should be reminded about that every chance we get.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby slowcoach » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:48 am

tafnut wrote:I PROMISE you that NONE of my students are that clueless. We're big on the Big Picture here.
mojo wrote:What is the population?


They'll do as well as me:
no idea - 80 mil?



80 Mill? Image

Without looking I'd guess 25-30.

Just checked: it's nearly 32. I guess those Canucks are gettin' it on quicker than I thought. (But not as quick as taf)
slowcoach
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests