Angels in the ALCS? It just ain't right

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Angels in the ALCS? It just ain't right

Postby Honusonthesound » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:27 am

I got back from a camping trip in the woods and when I returned to civilization, lo and behold, the world's turned upside down in my absense. Last night I flip on the TV and see the White Sox playin' the Anaheim/Los Angeles/Southern California Angels in game one of the ALCS. How can this be?

This means that the White Sox somehow got by the Red Sox. Now, the Red Sox tale of woe is well known, but the White Sox've been nobodies since the days when Shoeless Joe roamed in left field 'n his buddies were schemin' with gamblers to throw the World Series. Virtually off the map since those halcyon days.

But more surprising is to see the Angels on the field which means they eliminated the Yankees. There had to be some sort of voodoo involved. The Angles've been stinkin' up baseball since their inception in the early '60s. Year in 'n year out, they've sported the worst record in all of baseball, maintaining a virtual stranglehold on the cellar more often than not. The perpetual Lanterne Rouge of baseball. I haven't checked the numbers, but off the top of my head, I'd say that the only team that can contend for their record for beeing consistently awful is the Seattle Pilots/Mariners, who despite having a few stellar seasons a while back, have done their best to be even worse than the Angels. A tall order.

I grew up in So. Cal. and lived through the Angels' exploits every summer. The local papers had a very few headlines that they'd just rotate through the cycle. "Angles Lose Again" - "Angels Lose Another" - "Angels Embarrassed by (insert team name here)" - "Angels Lose a Close One (used any time they lost by less than 8 runs)" "Angels Stink the Place Up" etc. The only thing that changed from year-to-year was the date that they were statistically eliminated from the playoffs. Always before the All Star break, but some years earlier than others.

I remember when they signed Reggie Jackson late in his career. Some fans were quite excited by their aquisition of "Mr. October" 'till one off the local sports writers reminded one-and-all that "The Angels don't play in October.".

Yeah, I know - they won the whole ball of wax a few years back. I can't explain that one either. I'm thinkin' that this whole thing is at least as big as global warming. The cycles of life're all out of whack. I'm thinkin' that MLB needs their own version of the Kyoto Agreement or sumpthin'. The sky is falling!
Honusonthesound

Postby gh » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 am

As long as there's no Yankees or Red Sox it'll be a wondrous World Series. And as a bonus, no Braves on the NL side. Thanks to the powers that be.
gh

Postby KevinM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:41 am

I can understand the backlash against the Red Sox and Yankees, but watching games at Anaheim with those horrendous "Thunder Sticks" makes my skin crawl. Can't do it. For some reason it makes me think of the Angels -- an established organization -- in the same light as the Diamondbacks or Marlins.
KevinM

Postby gh » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:03 am

Angels can also be detested for being one of the better teams that money can buy. But they haven't yet earned the ingrained detestation that years of being on the bad-guy list can bring.
gh

Postby Vern » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:47 am

Angels - 21 wins pitcher, very good bullpen, MLB leader in SBs, Vlad, Molina(s).... get the job done. 95 wins ain't no fluke! Or perhaps it's just down to this year's name change?
Vern

Postby dj » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:50 am

KevinM wrote:For some reason it makes me think of the Angels -- an established organization -- in the same light as the Diamondbacks or Marlins.

Young 'un: the Angels aren't an established organization. They only began in 1961, not 1901 like the REAL teams in the junior circuit.
dj

Postby KevinM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:13 am

dj wrote:Young 'un: the Angels aren't an established organization. They only began in 1961, not 1901 like the REAL teams in the junior circuit.

I know, I know, but with all of the expansions and relocations in the past 10-15 years, the fact that the Angels are in the same ballpark (albeit refurnished) as they were when I attended my 2nd-ever major league game as a 10 yo in 1987 (2-0 win over the Indians, BTW) gives them a sense of semi-permanence in my mind. They shouldn't have to resort to fast-food baseball gimmicks
KevinM

They wuz robbed

Postby guru » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:21 pm

They Angels were just robbed BIG TIME. How in the world that home plate umpire thought that third strike hot the ground is beyond me, It wasn't even close. I thought these guys were supposed to be the best :shock:

Looks like the Angels will have to win 5 games in order to move on to the Series.
guru