Beckham Sent off Again. Time for video replay?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Beckham Sent off Again. Time for video replay?

Postby Daisy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:13 pm

Anyone remember the Argentina game where Simionie landed on top of Beckham intentionally, then twisted his knee into the small of his back intentionally and then stood over him baiting him. This led Beckham to stupidly retaliate with a little flick of the foot, leading to his red card.

In another thread Vern mentioned Beckham was unfairly sent off against Austria. Was that a similar case Vern? (I have not seen that game)

Is it time soccer got the video replay they have in the NFL? There is no doubt that Spain and Italy got screwed in the last world cup and players like Simione really know how to play the ref like a fool. Having a video replay available to checkthe really big decision seems like a no brainer. It would also protect the referres from later criticism.
Daisy

Re: Beckham Sent off Again. Time for video replay?

Postby Vern » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:08 am

Daisy wrote:Anyone remember the Argentina game where Simionie landed on top of Beckham intentionally, then twisted his knee into the small of his back intentionally and then stood over him baiting him. This led Beckham to stupidly retaliate with a little flick of the foot, leading to his red card.

In another thread Vern mentioned Beckham was unfairly sent off against Austria. Was that a similar case Vern? (I have not seen that game)

Is it time soccer got the video replay they have in the NFL? There is no doubt that Spain and Italy got screwed in the last world cup and players like Simione really know how to play the ref like a fool. Having a video replay available to checkthe really big decision seems like a no brainer. It would also protect the referres from later criticism.

Not this time Chris - Beckham seems to have got rid of his petty streak.

Two yellows in the space of 6 minutes - the first was fair enough, he led with his elbow going for a header. But the second was a joke - 50-50 ball, maybe an accidental trip, if there was any contact at all, plus a healthy dose of theatre from the Austrian guy.

England have qualified though - can't see them winning in Germany, but it's a funny old game, innit...

Big up to Togo, Angola, Ivory Coast and Ghana - all qualified, all debutantes. Power shift in African football?

Quiz - Two Ghanian-born players have appeared in the World Cup Final. Who are they?
Last edited by Vern on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vern

Postby slowcoach » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:24 pm

I'm thinking Germany Vs England is fixed to be the WC Final.

Gerald Asamoah (Ger) and Marcel Desailly (Fra) are the Ghanaian born World Cup finalists.
slowcoach

Postby Vern » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:59 pm

Well done slowcoach - My local's regulars are still struggling with that one after a week!

Edit - Back to the subject, FIFA have approved a test run of a "magic" ball for the next u-17 World Cup (I think). The ball contains a brick sown into the panels, and will give an audible signal to the ref if/when the ball's completely over the goal/by/touchline. Good idea, IMO, and won't overinterfere with the game's flow.

Edit 2 - Today was declared a national holiday in Togo.

"And by my tiny strides and blessed cadence shall thou know me."
Johnson 19.32
Vern