Meet Videos

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Meet Videos

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 9:57 am

Can anyone tell me where to go to find VHS or DVD recordings of top track meets. e.g. World Championships, Olympics, GP meets.

My preference would be for something packaged with commentary, without fluff pieces, and preserving/highlighting the competitive drama of the field events.

Thanks,

-Ian

Re: Meet Videos

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 10:04 am

You can buy them from the IAAF Store - try e-mailing thierry@iaaf.org. When I ordered books from them a while ago, they sent me a list of video tapes they had on offer. I wasn't really interested at that point (don't own a VCR), so I didn't keep it, but I remember they had sets for every major championship in the last 10 years at least. From what I know, it is 'European-style' coverage, i.e. competition action, not tear-jerking BS. I think every World Championship set was something like 8 hours of coverage. Not sure if you can buy them in the American system, though...

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 10:10 am

The IAAF only have tapes from IAAF events, though - thus no Olympics and no GP meets.
You can also try George Matthews (teneleven90matthews@btinternet.com). I never bought anything from him, but supposedly he can provide you with coverage of any past athletics events you can imagine. Again, I'm not sure whather he can provide tapes recorded in the American system.

Postby jsquire » Thu May 15, 2003 10:26 am

Your simplest resource is www.runningmovies.com
jsquire

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 12:11 pm

Last year T&FN was offering Edmonton videos (official IAAF version) as I recall, although they did say the sound quality was pretty poor. Have you clicked on the store link at the top of the page and surfed around to see if that's still available?

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 10:47 am

bump

Postby huh? » Fri May 16, 2003 10:55 am

Huh?
huh?