Torres in the 1500?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Torres in the 1500?

Postby Guest » Tue May 13, 2003 9:01 pm

Not passing judgement; this is a legit question. Is Torres (home page says he's not running the 5K at NCs) a wimp for not wanting to run the distance race two weekends in a row, or is the prudent course to take?

Re: Torres in the 1500?

Postby el-supremo » Wed May 14, 2003 4:26 am

Not at all - considering CO is not in the team race at NC's, and in fact will not likely be in the top 15 teams, he would be wise to go for the WC team. Two competitive 5k's back to back (Cragg/Cheboiymo are as good/better than any American now) are a big risk when the penalty is losing a WC birth. Besides, the way he is running he could be a factor in the 1500.
el-supremo

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 6:48 am

Wow, that's a disappointment, but I guess understandable, esp. considering you'd possibly be running rounds both weekends. So this is part of the fallout of having regionals and probably the latest NCAA meet ever. When was the last time USATF/TAC/AAU followed NCAAs by a week? Or maybe I should say when was the last time in a year where nationals qualified you for a world or Olympic team?

Postby Bob H » Wed May 14, 2003 6:54 am

>When was the last time USATF/TAC/AAU followed NCAAs by a week? Or maybe I should say when was the last time in a year where nationals qualified you for a world or Olympic team?<

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that if the NCAA continues to end the second Saturday in June and the USATF meet continues to end the fourth Sunday in June except in Olympic Trials years, the next time the meets will be on consecutive weekends will be 2014. Needless to say, lots can happen between now and then.
Bob H

Postby dl » Wed May 14, 2003 8:29 am

There won't be rounds in the 5000 at USATF, but I still think it's a good choice by Torres. Sure, I'd like to see him race Cragg and Boaz in Sacatomato, but he's got a good chance to make the World Champs team, so who can blame him?

Brad Hauser pulled a similar move in '99, running just the 5k at NCAA's, even though Stanford had a chance at the team title. He ended up making the Worlds team in the 10K.
dl

Postby sl » Wed May 14, 2003 8:35 am

Yup. Smart move. Remember, Torres still needs to hit the A standard (13:21.50), and there's a good chance conditions at Stanford will allow it.

Looking at another positive side, his presence should lead to fast paces in the NCAA 1500 heats and finals. He's not going to give the title away to kickers with 800 wheels.
sl

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 11:59 am

It's hard to think of Jorge as a 1500 guy, but then ... I recall the way he completely dominated the Big 12 final last year. Not super comp, but enough to prove he can at least be a factor in the NCAA 1500.

Postby gh » Wed May 14, 2003 12:11 pm

>Wow, that's a disappointment, but I guess
>understandable, esp. considering you'd possibly
>be running rounds both weekends. So this is part
>of the fallout of having regionals and probably
>the latest NCAA meet ever. When was the last time
>USATF/TAC/AAU followed NCAAs by a week? >>

1940, 41, 42, 43, 44, 46, 49
all the '50s
all the '60s
1970, 71
and now '03.

Not remotely the latest NCAA meet ever. For many years it was the third weekend in June. Latest date ever was June 22-23, 1934. Ran June 19-21 as late as 1969.
gh

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 12:18 pm

Let's see-------the two nationals were backtoback in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. The years in which Bill Dellinger, George Young, Jim Ryan, Billy Mills, Bill Schul, Gerry Lindgren, Frank Shorter and Steve Prefontaine did their collegiate running. Sure kicked the shit out of them didn't it? Another bit of evidence to file in the "modern runners are wimps" file.

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 12:26 pm

haha ... well, Garry, the latest since I've been following the sport (27 years) at least! I'd just really like to see a "mandatory" 2 weeks between.

Postby gh » Wed May 14, 2003 2:52 pm

I'd like to see it about a mandatory MONTH in between (like the OT will be next year), getting more in tune with the international calendar. But that'll probably never happen so long as collegiate coaches control USATF. Too many--undestandably--don't want the middle of their summer interrupted.
gh

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 3:05 pm

>Let's see-------the two nationals were backtoback
>in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. The years in
>which Bill Dellinger, George Young, Jim Ryan,
>Billy Mills, Bill Schul, Gerry Lindgren, Frank
>Shorter and Steve Prefontaine did their
>collegiate running. Sure kicked the shit out of
>them didn't it? Another bit of evidence to file
>in the "modern runners are wimps" file.

Gollllleeee! Wimps? Those runners knew they wouldn't be facing anybody with a PR like Meb's at the open nationals. How many of them had to face a guy as fast as Cragg at the NCAA?

Postby jake the snake » Wed May 14, 2003 7:14 pm

torres is smart for making this decision. not only does it help his chances at qualifying for the wc's but he'll improve his speed by running a shorter, faster event.

"For myself, I'm doing the 1500 for the reason that I have the USA Championships the following weekend. A lot of those guys, like Cragg and Boaz, don't have to worry about qualifying the next weekend to move on to the World Championships, and I do have that kind of worry. I need to go out and run against the best in the United States that following weekend and hopefully will be at the World Championships in August in Paris." - Torres

he speaks like a true king.

on a somewhat related note, ritz is done for the year due to a nagging ongoing pain in case anyone hadn't heard yet.
jake the snake

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 9:09 pm

>somewhat related note, ritz is done for the year
>due to a nagging ongoing pain in case anyone
>hadn't heard yet.>>

you mean like in the "scoop" interview that introduced this whole thread?