What is the "H" in Jesus H. Christ for?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

What is the "H" in Jesus H. Christ for?

Postby mrbowie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:13 pm

Can somebody enlighten me as to the derivation and significance of the "H" in Jesus H. Christ?
mrbowie

Re: What is the

Postby Rufus Cookie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:18 pm

some people say it is Hoobastank

"There have been various theories, but the one that seems most plausible is that it comes from the Greek monogram for Jesus, IHS or IHC. This is formed from the first two letters plus the last letter of His name in Greek (the letters iota, eta, and sigma; in the second instance, the C is a Byzantine Greek form of sigma). The H is actually the capital letter form of eta, but churchgoers who were unfamiliar with Greek took it to be a Latin H.
The oath does indeed seem to be American, first recorded in print at the end of the nineteenth century, although around 1910 Mark Twain wrote in his Autobiography that the expression had been in use about 1850 and was considered old even then. Its long survival must have a lot to do with its cadence, and the way that an especially strong emphasis can be placed on the H.
Nineteenth-century Americans weren’t the first to take the Greek letters to be Latin ones—since medieval times the monogram has often been expanded into Latin phrases, such as Iesus Hominum Salvator, Jesus Saviour of Men, In Hoc Signo (vinces), in this sign (thou shalt conquer), and In Hac Salus, in this (cross) is salvation."

from http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-jes1.htm

some more explanations here
http://www.christianorigins.com/etymology.html
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_033
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... e=19960613
Last edited by Rufus Cookie on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus Cookie

Postby mrbowie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:48 am

Rufus,

Thanks. You da man.
mrbowie

Postby Pego » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:00 am

Yes, thank you RC. This was most enlightening.
Pego

Postby paulthefan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:50 am

Holy Toledo that sounds convincing!
paulthefan

Postby maxfit » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:35 am

Don't concern yourself with the things of men, rather concern yourself with the things of God. There is no, Jesus H. Christ in the Bible.

Jesus' name was given to Him, because He will save His people from their sins. And He is called the Christ, because He is the Messiah. Anything else is should be ignored.

Neil
maxfit

Postby Dietmar239 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:54 am

John 17:3.
Dietmar239

Location: I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.

Postby guru » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:00 pm

Isn't there a constitutional thing about seperation of church and T&F message boards?

Where's the ACLU when you need them?
guru

Postby tafnut » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:06 pm

>John 17:3.<

I googled that and got more than I bargained for - talk about a Holy War.

http://www.carm.org/jw/John17_3.htm
tafnut

Postby paulthefan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:22 pm

I always favored the NASB....however in any version that verse is intense.
paulthefan

Postby MJD » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:25 pm

>>John 17:3.<

I googled that and got more than I bargained for - talk about a
>Holy War.

http://www.carm.org/jw/John17_3.htm

Didn't you look it up before? I did:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... age=195046
MJD

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:48 pm

>Didn't you look it up before? I did:

I must have a blind spot for these things. I never noticed it before.

With regard to Holy war, I don't think that sort of thing happens. They just split and go their own way. Why do you think there are so many different Christian sects?

Forget that, i just remembered the sectarian clap trap in Scotland. Did you know each town has two soccer teams. One is protestant the other catholic (hearts v hibs; celtic v rangers; etc.)

Not to mention Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley.
Daisy

Postby tafnut » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:24 pm

>>With regard to Holy war, I don't think
>that sort of thing happens.<<

The Episcopalians (of all people!) are into a war of sorts right now over a gay bishop. Not a pretty sight. People heavily invested into a dogma can lose their bearings very rapidly when pushed into a corner.
tafnut

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:38 pm

>Episcopalians (of all people!) are into a war of sorts right now over a gay bishop.

But you know that eventually they'll just split into two groups. Same is happening with the Anglicans (or is that the same group?). The other one that will split everyone is the woman as priests. The catholics will be split when they allow priests to be married (but not with this pope). Life goes on and the number of sects gets larger. Eventually there will be millions of sects with a membership of less than ten.
Daisy

Postby Rufus Cookie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:00 pm

i have just started my own religion, its based loosely on judaism, christianity hinduism buddhism taoism islam scientology and Jedism.
all you need to do is worship to empty beer bottles and donate 10% of your yearly earnings to me, its quite simple.
Rufus Cookie

Postby MJD » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Pretty sure that Rangers vs Celtics is a Catholic vs Protestant thing. My trick for remembering is C is for Celtics and Catholics. I have a Scottish friend who will work out very early on any day they are playing and then head over to the Ex-Imperial Club and he is usually hammered by 11am.
MJD

Postby paulthefan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:08 pm

Rufus... you almost had a new idea there... but you were beat too it some 20000 years ago.... if you up it from 10% to 20% and call it Government you will be on the mark.

>i have just started my own religion, its based loosely on judaism, christianity
>hinduism buddhism taoism islam scientology and Jedism.
all you need to do is
>worship to empty beer bottles and donate 10% of your yearly earnings to me, its
>quite simple.
paulthefan

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:15 pm

> C is for Celtics and Catholics.

That's correct. I confused you by writing the teams in no particular order, sloppyness on my part. Another way to tell is which team has a green strip. Green for Ireland and gaelic I presume. I can never remember who's who with respect to Dundee and Dundee United.
Daisy

Postby johngeo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:48 pm

Christ (Greek) is Messiah in Hebrew which is Anointed in English. Jesus (Greek) means Yahweh Saves (or Saved by God) in English. Thus JesusChrist means Saved by God the Anointed. According to Hebrew scriptures Solomon, David, and either Darias or Xerxes (Persian kings) were Messiahs (Anointed) and therefore Christs. PS I have a habit of avoiding doubled letters.JG
johngeo