Dennis the Menace(Emily on deck)

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Dennis the Menace(Emily on deck)

Postby guru » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:26 pm

Your favorite time of the year tafnut. Supposed to be a big one before hitting anywhere from Louisiana to Florida Saturday. Why you guys live down there is beyond me.

Oh, yeah, that January and February thing. Nevermind :).

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT ... VIS/20.jpg

(image updates every 1/2 hour)
Last edited by guru on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
guru

Re: Dennis the Menace

Postby tafnut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:31 pm

My parents-in-law just evacuated AGAIN. If 100+ winds hit the FEMA trailer they're STILL living in, it's gone too. This is not right.
tafnut

Postby Randy Treadway » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:34 pm

I've lived in both Florida, Alabama and California, among other places. I'll take earthquake risk over hurricane or tornado risk any day. Yes, there's no warning, but there's less damage if you're moderately well prepared.
Randy Treadway

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Thankfully passing between us and Cuba at present. Lots of rain though. Thank God for the Blue Mountains. People in Ocho Rios are probably getting a lot more wind right now. After Ivan we couldn't take another direct hit. Dennis is now at Category 3 and expected to strengthen further. tafnut it probably is headed your way as it seems to be heading more northerly than before.
DentyCracker

Postby tafnut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:39 pm

I'm 5 miles off the beach and that makes a big difference. Last year I just went powerless for 36 hours. Losing one's home is a whole different matter.
tafnut

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:45 pm

If it had decided to pass just south of the island I wouldn't have power now that is for sure. Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour at present, probably closer to 250m from the beach. This thing might be quite bad by the time the eye makes landfall in Cuba. I have friends studying there.
DentyCracker

Postby Randy Treadway » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:50 pm

>>Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour

Oh REALLY?!!

Well then, we can adjust course on this thread back to track & field by asking what Powell's time would be right now if he went out to National Stadium and sprinted a 100 with the wind to his back? 9.33?
Randy Treadway

Postby einnod23 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:08 pm

>My parents-in-law just evacuated AGAIN. If 100+ winds hit the FEMA trailer
>they're STILL living in, it's gone too. This is not right.

And a big payback????????

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/04/fema.p ... index.html
einnod23

Postby mike renfro » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:14 pm

>My parents-in-law just evacuated AGAIN. If 100+ winds hit the FEMA trailer
>they're STILL living in, it's gone too. This is not right.

Pat, I saw your email addr on another thread and thought about inquiring how your inlaws were getting along with reconstruction, insurance haggling, etc. Got right on it. Hope this isn't as bad. My sister is out here (her school is over, Oregon seemed like a good idea). I suppose she has another mess to deal with. My mom stayed in Pensacola, so I guess she is just hunkering down.
mike renfro

Postby Trackfan310 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:21 pm

>I've lived in both Florida, Alabama and California, among other places. I'll
>take earthquake risk over hurricane or tornado risk any day. Yes, there's no
>warning, but there's less damage if you're moderately well prepared.

I agree with that assessment. I've lived in FL and Tx as well as CA, and I would rank my Fear of Natural disasters in the following Order:

1) Tornados
2) Hurricane
3) Earthquake

Working backwards, my reasons for this order are as follows:

1) with an Eartquake, sure, there is no warning, but as stated before, if you are prepared, the damage can be minimal, AND, Earthquakes hit all the time with no damage. Only REAL LARGE earthquakes are generally guaranteed to destory something, and they tend to be fairly rare.

2) Sure, with a hurricane, you know its coming days in advance, but once it gets there, what are you going to do? Given that the winds have to be at a certain speed before a storm becomes a hurricane you know the power is definetly there. Sure, Real strong structures can handle hurricane force winds, but odds are SOMETHING is coming down.

3) What a Tornado touches, it destorys. Period. Slow moving? Yes. But they can be almost as spontaneous as earthquakes dropping out of the sky on a moments notice. The idea of being implated by straw doesn't sit well with me either.
Trackfan310

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:13 pm

>>>Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour

Oh REALLY?!!

Well then, we can
>adjust course on this thread back to track & field by asking what Powell's time
>would be right now if he went out to National Stadium and sprinted a 100 with
>the wind to his back? 9.33?

Probably 8point something. We probably are getting gale force winds circa 15-20 metre per second winds. Powell has been in Rome for the last week or so preparing for tomorrow. Hopefully both himself and Gatlin will be fit.
DentyCracker

Postby jeremyp » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:34 pm

Just moved to Ft. Myers. Going to a motel next two days further inland. Too much of a novice to stay put. And it's the earliest on RECORD! Sure looking forward to the rest of the summer!
jeremyp

Postby tafnut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:36 pm

>>Pat, I>saw your email addr on another thread and thought about inquiring how your>inlaws were getting along with reconstruction, insurance haggling, etc.<<

State Farm STILL has not settled. Several dozen families are bringing a class-action suit. One family in a $500,000 house, that was completely destroyed, was offered $3500 (three thousand, five hundred) as a settlement. Unbelieveable.
tafnut

Postby mojo » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:38 pm

>>>$3500 (three thousand, five hundred) as a settlement.
>Unbelieveable.

But that is US bucks!!! I'd take it! :)
mojo

Postby guru » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:39 pm

There has to be more to that story. That settlement offer is ridiculous.
guru

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:56 pm

>>>Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour

Oh REALLY?!!

Well then, we can
>adjust course on this thread back to track & field by asking what Powell's time
>would be right now if he went out to National Stadium and sprinted a 100 with
>the wind to his back? 9.33?

Kenny Moore had a story along these lines many years ago. There was a really big windstorm in western Oregon when he was at UO. The track guys were out for their workouts and it was not going to be possible to do them. They started doing 100 yard dashes with the wind. Kenny racked up a 9.4 IIRC. Then trees start falling over around them and they realized the seriousness of the storm. When he did some notable performance he was asked by Track & Field News to provide a bio with best marks. He said that they never commented on the 9.4w time.

[The Columbus Day Storm of 1962 was an extratropical wave cyclone that ranked among the most intense to strike the United States Pacific Northwest since at least 1948, and probably since the January 9, 1880 "Great Gale" and snowstorm. On a larger scale, for the entire U. S., the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 is a contender for the "Biggest Extratropical Cyclone of the 20th Century". With respect to wind velocity, the Columbus Day Storm is unmatched even by the much-touted March 1993 "Storm of the Century" and the "Perfect Storm." Only Eastern hurricanes of Category III or higher have brought winds of the magnitude witnessed in Oregon on Columbus Day of 1962. Max speeds recorded were 145 mph and (possibly as high as 179)
26mi235

Postby tafnut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:05 pm

>There has to be more to that story. That settlement offer is ridiculous.,

That's exactly the point - it was an insult.
tafnut

Postby abinferno » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:03 am

Good lord people, move out of Florida, it's not worth the trouble. That's like living under a volcano in Hawaii and reacting with indignance when your house is destroyed by an eruption.
abinferno

Postby gh » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:05 am

<<Kenny Moore had a story
>along these lines many years ago. There was a really big windstorm in western
>Oregon when he was at UO. The track guys were out for their workouts and it
>was not going to be possible to do them. They started doing 100 yard dashes
>with the wind. Kenny racked up a 9.4 IIRC. Then trees start falling over
>around them and they realized the seriousness of the storm. When he did some
>notable performance he was asked by Track & Field News to provide a bio with
>best marks. He said that they never commented on the 9.4w time.>>

That's cuz by the time he wrote the story a score of years later he had created a false memory. He didn't actually put it on the bio, although he may have considered so doing.
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:39 am

Thanks gh, I had wondered about that and it semed you were the source to finding out.
26mi235

Postby Daisy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 am

>There has to be more to that story. That settlement offer is ridiculous.

Obviously some kind of get out clause. The small print on those things can be brutal.
Daisy

Postby guru » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 pm

Looks like landfall tomorrow afternoon or evening. The photolink in my original post is very impressive.
guru

Postby tafnut » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:31 pm

They're baaaaack. The in-laws (6 total) are back in Chez Tafnut tonight, as Dennis zeroes right in on Pensacola! We just pretend it's a planned family reunion with short notice.
tafnut

Postby tafnut » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:02 am

Anyone watching this on TV? Unbelievable. A HUGE hurricane is headed right at Pensacola for the second time in less than one year. 145mph winds will completely destroy the Beaches area again. My in-laws will lose EVERYTHING except what they brought in the car AGAIN. I'm aghast.
tafnut

Postby guru » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:05 am

Yes, it is unbelieveable. The satellite photos tell the tale.

edit: Currently as strong as Andrew, with winds just below a Category 5 classification at 140 mph.
Last edited by guru on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
guru

Postby twittering debutante » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:51 am

Those "meteorologists" who always do their live shots amidst hurricane-force winds are going to have a member of their clown fraternity killed on live TV someday. A guy nearly was stuck by lightning during his shot yesterday.

Although I won't mind watching MSNBC's Campbell Brown getting drenched this afternoon. Had the great fortune of riding alone with her in an elevator once.
twittering debutante

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:41 am

And the storm has a rapid speed of its own, so that the eastern side of the eye has particularly high winds.
26mi235

Postby Jack Slocombe » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:20 am

Wow, watching the weather channel. Looks like Ft. Walton Beach and Destin are gonna get it bad. That was my last duty station in the USAF way back in '67.
Jack Slocombe

Postby tafnut » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:23 am

Eglin or Tyndall?
tafnut

Postby Jack Slocombe » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:24 am

48th ARRS (rescue) at Eglin, right next to the climatic hangar.
Jack Slocombe

Postby tafnut » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:25 am

cool
tafnut

Postby Randy Treadway » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:25 pm

My brother was in that squadron (comm operator on a C-130) at Eglin in the 80's. Except they'd expanded their mission responsibilities to include Special Ops.
When they invaded Panama his plane was circling overhead waiting for a signal from ground commanders that they'd grabbed Noriega, and they were supposed to land, toss Noriega on board (in cuffs of course) without feathering the props, and then immediately take off non-stop for Miami.
Except they didn't get Noriega for weeks, after he hid out in a monastery and they had to bombard him with PsyOps rock music 'til he came out pleading for relief. My brother's plane circled for something like 13 hours (in-flight refueling) the day of the invasion waiting for my brother the comm operator to receive the signal that never came, until they were told to just turn around and head back home to Eglin.
Randy Treadway

Postby mike renfro » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:22 pm

tafnut. According to CNN, the storm dropped to 120 before it hit the beach. Also, a bit to east of Pensacola. Not so bad as Ivan, although the footage of metal and trees flying about looked scary enough for me. I havn't tried my sister yet, I assume they evacuated, but havn't heard anything. The CNN guys on the scene said that all things considered, Pensacola suffered relativly little damage. I don't know if that included the beach.
mike renfro

Postby MJD » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:28 pm

Sounds like a few people are:

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/memphis.html
MJD

Postby tafnut » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:32 pm

>The CNN guys>on the scene said that all things considered, Pensacola suffered relativly >little damage. I don't know if that included the beach.<<

Just got a call from Gulf Breeze. Brother-in-law's FEMA trailer is split. Sister-in-law's trailer has a tree on it. Parents-in-law's trailer looks OK. This may be the last straw. Handwriting on the wall says get out now. Strike three and you're out. They may just move inland a little bit. I hear P-cola itself (5 miles more inland) did fine.
tafnut

Postby Randy Treadway » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:19 pm

WhereEVER you move, the idea is if you're within 500 miles of Florida, your sanity is questionable if you choose to live in a trailer, ESPECIALLY if it gets torn up in a hurricane, and you move RIGHT BACK into ANOTHER trailer.
Ever heard of the three little pigs that built their houses out of straw, sand, & bricks?
Last edited by Randy Treadway on Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Treadway

Postby tafnut » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:40 pm

>>your >sanity is questionable if you choose to live in a trailer, ESPECIALLY if it >gets torn up in a hurricane, and you move RIGHT BACK into ANOTHER >trailer.<<

Randy, I'm sure you don't mean to insult my parents-in-law, who are 82 and 74 and have lived there since their early 20s. They wished to stay, even after last year, moved into a trailer after their home was GONE, and wanted to rebuild to the new code (150mph wind-proof). Now they are going to have to sell their prime water-front lot to a developer who will put up high-rise condos if he can get enough lots in a row. This is not a comic matter, as you can imagine.
tafnut

Postby utopian » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:48 pm

When you are older, you go where your memories or your friends are--hopefully where both are.

And you go where your bones can stand the weather and you live in what you can afford.

I live in New England, which may seem to contradict the above, but all we suffer from is cold. My driveway is short and flat; shovelling it is a snap. We have snow tires, and I'm very careful on the ice with both the car and my feet.

Tornados are rare and when they come, they are small.

I don't have arthritis, but I do have pseudo-gout which is affected by humidity. I can't go to the eastern South.

Once-in-a-while I mention Bisbee, AZ. My wife says to not even bother to send her a postcard. Something about being unable to abide low houses baking in the hot sun.
utopian

Postby Randy Treadway » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:08 pm

One of my aims in life (don't know whether I'll make it or not) is to get myself into a financial position where IF my parents are ever reduced to the point where they have to live in an unsafe dwelling, I can help out to get them moved into something safe.
I realize not everybody is able to help out like that, but it's a nice goal. (So far my folks wouldn't need that kind of help, they're settled into an extremely solid retirement house in the North Carolina mountains).
No offense intended and sorry if it came off that way.
Randy Treadway

Postby tafnut » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:10 pm

>One of my aims in life (don't know whether I'll make it or not) is to get >myself into a financial position where IF my parents are ever reduced to the >point where they have to live in an unsafe dwelling, I can help out to get them
>moved into something safe.<<

Our irony is that the lot is worth MAJOR money, so they are rich in that regard, but it's not helping them right now.

[I knew you didn't mean it that way, but I'm thin-skinned about the in-laws, no offense taken]
tafnut

Next