Gold in Paris

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Gold in Paris

Postby Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 4:45 pm

Which one athlete do you think has the best chance of winning a gold medal in Paris at the WC this August? For added points you can state your reasons. My answer is Ana Guevara in the womens 400. No reasons.

Re: Gold in Paris

Postby Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 5:09 pm

Either Haille Geb, he is a man on a mission to reclaim his title. or Paula Radcliffe after her 2.15 who knows whats possible for her there are slower marathoners than that who run 13.40 5k or 28.00 10k.

Postby dl » Thu May 08, 2003 8:51 am

Great question! I don't know if there's anyone who's a sure thing for gold. That's why it's going to be a great meet! If I had to bet on someone, it'd be Radcliffe in the 10K (don't think Wami or Tulu will be in great track shape this year, if they run at Worlds at all) followed by Guevara in the 400.
dl

Postby tandfman » Thu May 08, 2003 9:28 am

>If I had to bet on someone, it'd be Radcliffe in the 10K<

Well, you don't have to, but if you'd like to, I'll be glad to put a beer on that.
tandfman

Postby Guest » Thu May 08, 2003 11:04 am

Here's a quick assessment of men's running favorites IMO ... the "grade" after their name indicates the degree to which they are a favorite, with "A" being a "sure thing" and "C" being the most modest favorite (almost anyone's race).

100: Monty, C+ ... He has the edge, but Mo Greene, Gatlin and others have almost as good a chance in a race where surprises could easily happen. Too early to know form of most of these guys.

200: Kederis, C+ .... Though the Greek has won 3 biggies the last 3 years, still fairly wide open, with Americans like Gatlin, Capel in the mix.

400: Second big 400 of post-MJ era is totally wide open in my opinion ... no favorite (and will anyone even approach sub-44?)

800: Yuri B., B- ... The B's, David K. and Wilson K. all have a solid chance, but look for the Russian to win his first major.

1500: El G, B+ ... has obviously had better luck in WCs than OGs ... not the 3:26 El G, probably, but no one ready to surpass him.

Steeple: Cherono, B- ... Who will be the Kenyan star this year? With Boulami out of the picture, the other sub-8s are the best bets.

5000: Bekele, C ... He doesn't have the track creds yet, but the event has no dominant runners, just a bunch of guys who can run sub-13.

10000: Geb, B ... Geb will still be the fave over Bekele or anyone else, but the Ethiopian great is fragile and coming off the 2001 loss. Not the heavy fave he once was.

Postby sl » Thu May 08, 2003 11:11 am

Wow! I can't believe I'm about to write this, since the high jump is one of the most notoriously unpredictable events, but at this moment I'd say Kajsa Bergqvist and Stefan Holm.

Lest my last name suggest a pro-Swedish bias, note that the only jumpers who beat Kajsa indoors this season were from Russia... as is my wife.
sl

Postby Guest » Thu May 08, 2003 11:36 pm

i love trying to predict the medalists of the big events, but even waiting until just before the meet starts i can only get 2/3 right.
if anything i would never try to predict the exact steeple winner this early, who knows which kenyans will survive their selection process.
i think that el guerrouz (1500)and gebresilasie (10k) are the strongest favorites on the men's side and guevara (400) in the women's side.

Postby Guest » Fri May 09, 2003 1:03 am

in the 800 wilson k. will win it all the way he has the fastest time for the year at 1.44.60.

for the 100 watch out for the guy cummins he is back and hungry do not over look him at all.

Postby dl » Fri May 09, 2003 10:38 am

Who? Cummins? Do you mean Kim Collins?
dl