Kimani News!!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Kimani News!!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:31 pm

David Kimani Has died. The cause of death is unknown. Let us pray for him and his family.

http://www.runflorida.com/highschool/main.htm

Re: Kimani

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:33 pm

I am grieving right now and as I left our two hour team meeting tonite...some of the guys mentioned that all the internet sites had tributes or stories up on Kimani. I wanted to thank all who have sent emails and to let everyone know that called me today that I appreciate the messages....I just couldn't answer the phone. David was very close to me and the whole Alabama family and it is still all a shock to us and I feel deeply for his wife and family. I want everyone to know what type of person David was....He was a truly energizing force for our team and was one of the hardest workers that you would ever meet. The guy actually believed that he didn't have the talent to be world class. Everything was beginning to move in a positive direction for him....looking forward to one day representing the USA, who he felt had given him the opportunity to achieve his dreams...healthy again after four months of dealing with a fibular stress fracture that occurred right after SEC cross country....and enjoying a great relationship with his wife Chamis. He was set to graduate with a double major (MIS/Finance) in December and was completely pyched about joining the guys this week for a 30 minute run! He was actually a day or two from signing his professional contract and Nike and Adidas had stepped up with the belief that we have had from the beginning, in that David would eventually be the American record holder in the 5000 and 10000. David was a competitor and most don't realize that he often stepped on the track at 70 or 80% "to help the team". This guy was a talent....no doubt a sub 13:00 runner when healthy and he had just come to terms with the fact that he didn't have to out work everyone in the world to be the best... I guess I am writing out of grief....but I want everyone to know that you should never take life for granted...take every day one day at a time and enjoy life...tell people that you love them....take joy in the little things we all take for granted. I'll try to remember the good times...David's smile....David telling me his freshman year that Chamis was "the one"...David playing with my nine month old...I could go on and on....hopefully , this message will get out and all it needs to be is one of LOVE. You just never ever know...take care, Joe

Postby sl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:35 am

Joe,

T&FN extends deep condolences. It's hard to imagine how the Alabama team and David's family must feel right now.

I didn't know David well, apart from having watched his amazing running, particularly before his injuries developed. But I recall an email exchange with him early last fall for a story I was writing. His love for his wife really came through as did his optimism about his training. He didn't dwell on the injuries at all and showed great enthusiasm for his running.

Very sad. Clearly, David was held in very high regard by those he encountered in the track & field world.

Sieg Lindstrom
T&FN
sl

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:43 am

I would like to send my condolences and that of the University of Tennessee fans to the family and friends of this talented and gifted athlete. We accept these athletes into our universities and they quickly become family. It sounds like Kimani was not only a great athlete but a STUDENT-athlete. I know the University of Alabama is very proud of having him as part of the Bama-family. I would have proudly cheered him on as a member of the USA team and feel a loss at losing this opportunity. Again, accept our condolences on such a tragic loss and I know the Vol faithful will remember Kimani in their prayers.

Postby dl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:02 am

I was fortunate enough to see all of Kimani's NCAA title races, but the one I'll remember the most was his first: the '99 NCAA XC. What a beautiful and confident race it was.

I was honored that my first ever feature written for T&FN was about David. Since then I always secretly (or not so secretly, as my friends who were with me in Terre Haute this past year might recall) rooted for David. Impartial journalism be damned!

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I am sad that we will not be able to witness David fulfill his potential both on and off the track.

Dan
dl

Re: Kimani News!!

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:57 pm

As i was sitting at work at 08:00am, i saw the news of David's death in USATF.com. i did not know him personally but i have watched many of his races. I sat at my computer and was in disbelief. i called every track and field athlete i knew and spead the news. We were all in disbelief. I still can't believe that his life was taken at such a young age. My heart goes out to his family and his Alabama family. His soul,family, and friends will be in my prayers.

Postby maniacmiler » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:38 pm

As a young High school distance runner I looked up to him as a great hero, one of strength ability, and intenstity. I looked forward to his every race and had hope to see him go on to greatness someday, not that he wasn't great already. Now I feel like i have lost a good freind, and I know a geat person in the running world. I will remeber him alwasy, and run the rest of my track season in his honor!!
maniacmiler

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:15 pm

I was very sad to hear the news about Dave Kimani. I first had the opportunity to photograph him for T&FN when he captured the NCAA Cross Country title while at South Alabama. He was always kind and cooperative with a brilliant smile. My condolences to the Kimani family and Alabama.

Postby sl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:00 pm

Having completed his NCAA eligibility with the indoor season, Kimani was looking ahead to a professional career and hoped to become a U.S. citizen in time for next year's Olympics.

His agent, Australian James Templeton, wrote the following remembrance, which appears here courtesy of Race Results Weekly, the professional distance running results service providing results from over 1200 events annually, world wide.

http://www.raceresultsweekly.com

REMEMBERING DAVID KIMANI
By James Templeton

NOTE: James Templeton is an athlete's manager who manages Bernard Lagat
amongst others. He had begun to work with David Kimani and wrote the
following tribute --Ed.

It is with much sadness I write of the death on Wednesday 16th of April of
David Murage Kimani. He collapsed and died in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He was
eating his lunch, just collapsed in the university canteen and died at the
University hospital an hour later.

I want to write a bit about the David Kimani I knew. A wonderful athlete
who won collegiate titles indoors, outdoors and cross country, he was just
scratching the surface of his potential. He was studying hard, was about to
graduate from the University of Alabama and was excited about the prospects
of a professional running career. David (known to his friends as Kim)
married in September to Chamis and had applied to become a US citizen. We
believed it would come through later this year; certainly in time for him to
compete at the Olympics.

I spoke to him for 30 minutes late on Tuesday night. He had left his mobile
at home and was in the library studying. He called me back at 11:30pm; was
in great spirits; although struggling back again from injury was jogging
again and was excited about getting back on the track. Talks with Adidas
and Nike were at an advanced stage and the security of a good contract was
imminent. Both recognized his potential to do great things as an American
athlete.

Things were falling nicely into place for Kim and he had much to look
forward to. He had a great relationship with his college coach, Joe Walker;
he had a lovely wife and the imminent security of a good contract.
Certainly, he was excited about the years ahead and the opportunity to do
great things on the track. Joe, Kim and I talked of his potential to run
under 13 minutes for 5,000m; under 27 minutes for 10,000m. We all knew he
could become American record holder at both in the years ahead.

I was fortunate enough to spend some days with David and Chamis in
Tuscaloosa in February. Anyone who knew David knows he was a great
character, full of laughter and joking around. There were a lot of good
times. There was a lot of warmth in his house, it was so nice and
comfortable. He was loved in America and Kenya; he had made good friends in
Europe.

My thoughts go out to Chamis; to his family in Nairobi who he had proudly
introduced me to at the Nationals last June. They were all so very proud of
him; what he had achieved and what was to come.

It is with much regret and sadness I reflect on a tragic finish to a life of
so much potential. He will be sorely missed.

James Templeton

ENDS
sl