Devers is out?!?!?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Devers is out?!?!?

Postby gm » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:01 am

This is certainly a big blow to USA medal hopes. She was 3rd in her semi at 12.87, and will not advance to the final.
gm

Re: Devers is out?!?!?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:26 am

Man, that sucks ... but we still have two good finalists.

Postby basis » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:22 pm

she hit the 3rd or 4th hurdle very hard and couldn't get back in to the race after that.
basis

Postby Randy Treadway » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:27 pm

Fastest non-qualifier.
Randy Treadway

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:32 pm

Devers also doesn't look wholly healthy. She looked like she couldn't hold her speed in the 100 final either. Jenny Adams sure looked surprisingly good though...

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:41 pm

I told everyone that Gail would beat Foster. Well the race is there for the taking and i hope the Jamaican does slip up sorry gail

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:01 pm

< I told everyone that Gail would beat Foster. Well the race is there for the taking and i hope the Jamaican does slip up sorry gail >

What is your beef with Foster? She has always been a gracious loser when finishing behind Gail and seems to respect all her opponents.

I wish her the best of luck and everyone else in the race. I just had a look at the Sydney tape and Foster was leading in the final before tripping up. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself and may the best girl win.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:36 pm

The womens 100mH final I think is going to be a great race..a very good field of runners who are looking sharp ...good technicians all. I`m going to punk out and not call this race , everyone look so good.

Postby gingin » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:10 am

All though I'm a big fan of Devers, Clearly running the open 100 was a mistake on several levels. It seemed to throw off her rhythme for the hurdles. This she has always stated was a problem for her when doubling at the peak of her carear, but at least then she had a reasonable chance of winning the sprint. To do it now, primarily to work on her speed (as she suggested) with little possibility of a 100 medal seems uncharicteristically foolish of one so expericanced and level headed. Let's hope that this will be a good lesson for next season and that Gail finally gets the Olympic Gold in Athens.
gingin

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:33 am

Final is tonight. Am currently sitting next to Foster's agent, and just asked him if he is nervous. He says a little bit, but the coach, on the next computer over, is as calm as can be. It's hers to lose...

Postby michael lewis » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:41 am

I agree she would have been better off to focus on the hurdles alone. What happened yesterday does really suck because she's the best hurdler in history and I'd be in nirvana to see her set the world record (she's a far better athlete than the woman who set it). Anyway better luck next year Gail. I think Foster will win but watch out for Perdita Felicien she could get up as high as silver (or steal the race, in my dreams)
michael lewis

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:05 am

every time gail has run both the dash and the hurdles she has not done as well as expected in the hurdles (with the exception of 99 and 93 which seems a long time ago). she is 36 now and like she said herself she does not know if she will retire the next morning. she run 4 races in the 100 and finished last in the final, then did not even make the final in the hurdles where she was expected to win. i know that bobby kersee used to coach her and i am sure this would not have happened if he was the coach. i think she does not have a coach which is astounding to me that a world class athlete does not have a coach.
it is bovious that next year is her last chance at olympic gold in the hurdles so she better get a good coach like curtis frye.