track and field snubbing from American media


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:43 pm

I can open most papers and find thatsome of the most obscure sports both local and nationally receive coverage. Someone felt it was important and saw to that coverage was publicized. How is that track and field one of the most celebrated events in the olympics receives little or no coverage. It is evident that the athletes that excel most in the U.S happen to be African
Americans.
I am certain that if more white athletes were
dominate interest and coverage would be different. I also fault black publications and the two black owned televisio stations for not being responsible enough to celebrate these athletes when major competitions occur. It is understood that some whites still have issues they must resolve within themselves before ever being fair or objective enough to do the right thing, black media must take up the slack. I applaud Europeans for their color blindness and appreciation of all track participants despite their race. I say to the American media no matter how you try to justify it, it is apparent that something still eats away at the core of who you are and perpetuates unfairness. Much success to the athletes America does'nt deserve your allegiance if they can't acknowledge your equality and talent.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Randy Treadway » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:45 pm

I don't buy the black athlete argument.
Basketball, baseball and football are dominated by blacks, and get big headlines and media coverage.

What I DO buy is the argument that America supports Americans, and more specifically Americans with names that sound 'American' if you know what I mean.
I like Meb and Abdi, but the average Joe Fan doesn't easily recognize that they're American.
I'm not suggesting they change their names- it's just reality.

Elite track & field thrived where 50 years ago? That's right, the west coast. Exactly where it didn't have any other professional sports competing for attention. When other professional sports invaded the west coast, that's when it started sliding. At least it was a major factor.

The advent of a true 'major circuit' in Europe in the 70's just cemented the trend that was already at work. Athletes follow the money. The money is in Europe. There never really was much money in the U.S. for track & field to begin with.

No, I don't buy the 'race card'.
Randy Treadway
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby gh » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:00 pm

Much as I hate to agree with Randy (insert smiley, here; welcome to another Darkwing stalwart), the race-card theory just doesn't wash. Open any sports section in any American paper any day of the week and 75% (or more?) of the headlines that involve an athlete's name (as opposed to a team) will be about people of color. They may get short shrift elsewhere--that's another discussion--but so long as they're contributing to a team team effort, America becomes amazingly color-blind.
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Randy Treadway » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:33 pm

If we were to look at parallels, has anybody ever took a look at Japanese baseball?

They've had a thriving 'major league' in Japan since the 1930's and it exploded after World War II. The Japanese love baseball.
For decades the Japanese had a gentlemen's agreement with American professional baseball, that the Americans would not raid the Japanese leagues for talent.
That was fine as long as the Japanese talent didn't stack up favorably.
But 10 or 15 years ago the door was opened (Hideo Nomo?), the gentlemen's agreement was breached, and now the Japanese are suffering a major talent drain, with their best players leaving to go to North America. They can backfill with American minor-leaguers, but the overall talent level has dropped significantly.
So far, subscriptions to satellite TV in Japan to follow their favorite stars on American teams skyrocketed, but attendance at local stadiums is lagging. And nobody knows whether the interest in American baseball on television will continue long-term, especially if the American teams start raiding Japanese high schools for baseball talent before those kids even make a name for themselves at the Japanese professional level (normal American practices in the Caribbean and Central American talent pool).

There seem to be some parallels to the problems with American track & field talent being sucked across the Atlantic. So far I don't think the Japanese haven't come up with any solutions.
Randy Treadway
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby miler manque » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:08 am

Black-white aside, it's true the media just doesn't cover track, or when it does, it's very odd what they focus on: just the controversy. The Washington Post has sent a reporter to the championships, but the article in today's paper (Monday) focuses EXCLUSIVELY on one thing only, Jon Drummond's situation. Very long and thorough on that, but only a handful of words in passing about the M10,000. Also full page of box scores and results on major and minor sports, but no results printed from the championships. Notice also that drug cheating is the only thing interesting to the mainstream media, because it's controversy.
miler manque
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:25 am

FYI there is a good AP story on the Drummond situation, including a picture of him laying on his back on the track at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/m ... index.html.

Lip service paid, as usual, to the other events.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:26 am

Get a dish and pick up either Eurosport, the BBC, or CBC. Read foreign news services online. Failing that, just leave the country and start ending your sentences with "eh?".

And don't, under any circumstances, subscribe to ESPN magazine. They literally have no one on staff plugged in to the track world. For example, their lampoon cover in the current issue speaks of fantasy shot put picks and calls Arsi Harju "the man". Obviously, someone just looked up the defending OG champ's name!
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby RussJD » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:34 am

I was away from the computer this past weekend and had absolutely no idea of anything that had happened at the Worlds. The media coverage is the worst in 40 years. And it's no use setting up logical theories why this is so. American coverage of sports is distinctly and aggressively weird. All I ask is a line of type with results. Impossible.
RussJD
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:35 am

the problem is we are a spirit dominated country who gives the most support to distance runners who can't compete with the world
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:09 am

>I don't buy the black athlete
>argument.
Basketball, baseball and football are
>dominated by blacks, and get big headlines and
>media coverage.

What I DO buy is the argument
>that America supports Americans, and more
>specifically Americans with names that sound
>'American' if you know what I mean.
I like Meb
>and Abdi, but the average Joe Fan doesn't easily
>recognize that they're American.
I'm not
>suggesting they change their names- it's just
>reality.

Alan Culpepper wasn't mentioned either so I think it's more of an event related snub than anything else.

Elite track & field thrived where 50
>years ago? That's right, the west coast.
>Exactly where it didn't have any other
>professional sports competing for attention.
>When other professional sports invaded the west
>t coast, that's when it started sliding. At
>least it was a major factor.

Growth in the major sports has hurt T&F enormously.

jd
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:52 am

The reason that the Worlds isn't getting any media coverage is because the community is too passive, and we as track fans like to bitch but we rarely call or write and complain to the media outlets. It is a sad day when we lose ESPN coverage to the Little Leauge World series. The heads of ESPN all want to relive their pipe dream of playing pro baseball. I don't know if it is race or cultural but the owners of most media outlets are older white men who grew up watching Micky Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, and Willie Mays. I guarentee people would watch track and field if it was covered by the media. Track is a sport that showcases women and minorities, but the heads of these media outlets believe that males 22-50 are the main target. Look at how much people enjoyed the last winter olympics. Their are a lot of women who would watch our sport if we marketed it with them in mind.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:12 am

If the US had entirely white track and field team, it would receive even less attention than it does now. The media loves to promote black athletes. Only the most naive would deny that these days. Track is not that popular these days, face it. It also isn't anywhere near as popular in Europe as American fans think. Soccer is king over there, by a large margin.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:33 am

AMERICANS WON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY, SUPPORT A SPORT DOMINATED BY DRUGGIES......THE SPORT HAD A GOOD FOLLOWING WHEN RYUN, LIQUORI, SHORTER, PREFONTAINE,WOTTLE, ETC ETC WERE RUNNING AND WINNING....EPO HAS DESTROYED THAT ABILITY FOR AMERICANS....CLEAN UP THE SPORT, ELIMINATE THE JOSH HERMANS AND THEIR ILK, AMERICANS WILL WIN AND THE INTEREST WILL COME BACK.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:34 am

sadly, t&f will shortly void my opinion....they are big supporters of the drug culture.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:14 am

>AMERICANS WON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY, SUPPORT A SPORT
>DOMINATED BY DRUGGIES......THE SPORT HAD A GOOD
>FOLLOWING WHEN RYUN, LIQUORI, SHORTER,
>PREFONTAINE,WOTTLE, ETC ETC WERE RUNNING AND
>WINNING....EPO HAS DESTROYED THAT ABILITY FOR
>AMERICANS....CLEAN UP THE SPORT, ELIMINATE THE
>JOSH HERMANS AND THEIR ILK, AMERICANS WILL WIN
>AND THE INTEREST WILL COME BACK.>

Exactly. That is the principal reason why the American public ensures that they are not planted in front of their TV sets every fall and winter Saturday and Sunday to watch College and NFL football.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:17 am

"AMERICANS WON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY, SUPPORT A SPORT DOMINATED BY DRUGGIES......"

Then you'd have to include baseball, football and maybe even swimming as well.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:47 pm

>AMERICANS WON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY, SUPPORT A SPORT
>DOMINATED BY DRUGGIES......THE SPORT HAD A GOOD
>FOLLOWING WHEN RYUN, LIQUORI, SHORTER,
>PREFONTAINE,WOTTLE, ETC ETC WERE RUNNING AND
>WINNING....EPO HAS DESTROYED THAT ABILITY FOR
>AMERICANS....CLEAN UP THE SPORT, ELIMINATE THE
>JOSH HERMANS AND THEIR ILK, AMERICANS WILL WIN
>AND THE INTEREST WILL COME BACK.

It isn't the drugs so much as it is the culture that has changed, hence the lack of interest.

That said, it is true that drugs have ruined the sport in many ways, the hypocrisy of the IAAF to fully enforce their "rules", the "looking the other way" doesn't help. Naive kids in the US are told the top distance guys from E. Africa are all clean, and then see themselves as never standing a sliver of a chance. Sprint hopefuls see shoe company money buying off the IAAF most of the time, and end up taking chances they shouldn't. It's a mess.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:42 pm

Americans like to see Americans winning. You are a small part of the world population so you can only win reliably in American sports. Thus these are the only popular sports.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:47 pm

Well, the US did win the baseball gold at the Olys, and a lot of countries play that. Oh yeah, the basketball gold at the Olys, barely. Oh, almost forgot swimming. Do pretty well there. Soccer, well, getting better. Better than the Brits and Africans these days, anyway. Boxing. Doing pretty well in gymnastics.

I guess "American" sports aren't the problem after all. But third worlders taking advantage of gullible, PC brainwashed third worlders etc. might be part of it.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:47 pm

Come on, now. The sky's not falling.

Drummond made the Austin paper today. Go USATF!!!
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:09 pm

The US track team is one dimensional. It is great at sprints and pretty good at field event. However, the US is pretty mediocre at distance events.
This is why people are not interested in track and field.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby kuha » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:21 pm

"Pretty mediocre" in distance events? I hate to break it to you, but it's a tad bit worse than that...
kuha
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:53 pm

>Americans like to see Americans winning. You are
>a small part of the world population so you can
>only win reliably in American sports. Thus these
>are the only popular sports.

SUCH BULLSHIT FROM THIS LITTLE COMMIE!.....LANCE ARMSTRONG JUST WON THE GREATEST ENDURANCE EVENT IN SPORTS. HAVE YOU HEARD OF A GOLFER BY THE NAMEJ OF TIGER WOODS? OUR HOCKEY TEAM GOT THE SILVER LAST OLYMPICS. BASKETBALL HAS GONE INTERNATIONAL AND NOBODY DOES IT BETTER. OUR SWIMMERS ARE SPOTLESS BECAUSE SWIMMING IS A CLEAN SPORT. IT TAKES NO SHOE MONEY AND DOESN'T ALLOW WHORES LIKE HERMANS AND ROSA TO BE AGENTS OR "COACHES." OUR SKATERS ARE FABULOUS. NEVER HEARD OF BLAIR OR HEIDEN? JIM RYUN WOULD HAVE RUN 3:42 ON EPO.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:00 pm

Calm down...just take a few deep breaths... From what you're saying, it's clear that the above comment is correct: Americans DO like to see Americans win. Seems pretty simple to me.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby abinferno » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:16 pm

>AMERICANS WON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY, SUPPORT A SPORT
>DOMINATED BY DRUGGIES......THE SPORT HAD A GOOD
>FOLLOWING WHEN RYUN, LIQUORI, SHORTER,
>PREFONTAINE,WOTTLE, ETC ETC WERE RUNNING AND
>WINNING....EPO HAS DESTROYED THAT ABILITY FOR
>AMERICANS....CLEAN UP THE SPORT, ELIMINATE THE
>JOSH HERMANS AND THEIR ILK, AMERICANS WILL WIN
>AND THE INTEREST WILL COME BACK.

How can you honestly espouse that view? If that were the case, no one would watch any sport. Football and baseball have much more rampant use of drugs than track. The only reason you hear about track athletes using is because the testing system is so much more involved and actually catches offenders.
abinferno
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:43 pm

>how can you honestly espouse that view?
>If that were the case, no one would watch any
>sport. Football and baseball have much more
>rampant use of drugs than track. The only
>reason you hear about track athletes using is
>because the testing system is so much more
>involved and actually catches offenders.

this fool does not get the essential component of distance running which is endurance...epo artificially enhances endurance. SIGNIFICANTLY.

drugs less so effect football....does a steroid help a quarterbacks timing or a wide receivers vision?
while steroids enormously help barry bonds drive the ball farther, he first must see it and time it, which the steroid will not help him with. baseball and football acknowledge the problem but are somewhat unsure to do about it.... track and field, and mopes like you, completely deny the HUGE ADVANTAGE for a distance runner on epo.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby blacklily » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:50 pm

>I can open most papers and find thatsome of
>e of the most obscure sports both local and
>nationally receive coverage. Someone felt it was
>important and saw to that coverage was
>publicized. How is that track and field one of
>the most celebrated events in the olympics
>receives little or no coverage. It is evident
>that the athletes that excel most in the U.S
>happen to be African
Americans.
I am certain
>that if more white athletes were
dominate
>interest and coverage would be different. I also
>fault black publications and the two black owned
>televisio stations for not being responsible
>enough to celebrate these athletes when major
>competitions occur. It is understood that some
>whites still have issues they must resolve within
>themselves before ever being fair or objective
>enough to do the right thing, black media must
>take up the slack. I applaud Europeans for their
>color blindness and appreciation of all track
>participants despite their race. I say to the
>American media no matter how you try to justify
>it, it is apparent that something still eats away
>at the core of who you are and perpetuates
>unfairness. Much success to the athletes America
>does'nt deserve your allegiance if they can't
>acknowledge your equality and talent.

While I do think race plays a role, I don't entirely buy the "if there were more white athletes argument." Football & basketball are overwhelmingly black, yet get a ton of coverage. So do tennis & golf, sports where black Americans are certainly in the mix. There's something to be said about the popularity of a sport, over & beyond its participants.

The black media do occasionally profile a track & field athlete. More is going on than you think, if people actually followed black media. E.g., Allyson Felix is profiled in this month's Ebony magazine (in the "Next Generation Takes Over" section), Marion Jones got an article & the cover after her Olympics victory. Right now, both Tim Montgomery & Gail Devers are selling FootAction products on radio stations targeting blacks. However, way more could be done in this area!

My question: what USATF done to promote the sport to the media? I'm not talking about passive press releases either. Media typically don't come to you, you gotta shout out to the media. Every other major sport has a marketing campaign geared specifically to black communities, to get their athletes in the appropriate media & drum up the hype. Why is track & field so far behind? Justin is right, we track fans must also do more in this regard too & start demanding more coverage.
blacklily
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby blacklily » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:59 pm

>Americans like to see Americans winning. You are
>a small part of the world population so you can
>only win reliably in American sports. Thus these
>are the only popular sports.

Really? While Americans like to see Americans winning -- in most countries, a sport's popularity is linked to how well their countrymen do it -- it goes beyond it. Please explain why golf, tennis, & figure skating are all popular in the States! Even gymnastics & boxing get higher TV ratings. None of those sports was developed in the U.S., & the U.S. is arguably less successful in these sports than in track & field. Sergio Garcia, Annika Sorenstam, Anna Kournikova, Lennox Lewis, Martina Hingis (we can go back as far as you like), etc. are much more famous here than Marion Jones or Maurice Greene. Perhaps you should ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING about U.S. sports interest.
blacklily
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby abinferno » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:37 pm

this fool does not get the
>essential component of distance running which is
>endurance...epo artificially enhances endurance.
>SIGNIFICANTLY.

drugs less so effect
>football....does a steroid help a quarterbacks
>timing or a wide receivers vision?
while
>steroids enormously help barry bonds drive the
>ball farther, he first must see it and time it,
>which the steroid will not help him with.
>baseball and football acknowledge the problem
>m but are somewhat unsure to do about it....
>track and field, and mopes like you, completely
>deny the HUGE ADVANTAGE for a distance runner on
>epo.

It's no doubt that EPO offers a huge advantage to distance runners. However, without an enormous amount of work and talent, and EPO-enhanced athlete would still be running only a 4:00 mile, or 13:30 5000, and no one can honestly say every elite distance runner is taking EPO. While steroids may not assist in timing, accuracy or vision, most reasonable people know they won't get to the levels set by Bonds, or others. Normal people can't relate to physically hitting 73 home runs in one season any more than they can relate to running a 3:43 mile. So the view that drug-enhanced runners hold some kind of inflated stigma in the eyes of the public is ludicrous. The super-elite of the other sports wouldn't accomplish the same feats without drugs, even with the best sense of timing in the world.
abinferno
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:25 am

Judging by their perfromances there is no way US distance runners are taking any drugs.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby tafnut » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:42 am

Getting back to the media coverage for a sec, here in Jackonville, FL, home of the mighty (sic) Jaguars, in today's Florida Times-Union (our ONLY daily paper) there were 6 articles about the Jags, we're still in pre-season remember, and exactly 0 about the WC. No agate, no sidebar comment, nothing. Jax has excellent HS track (and 'decent' prep coverage), but big-time track does not exist here. There was also 2 pages on UF and FSU football preparations. I know Football is King in the South, but couldn't track at least be one of the serfs?
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:17 am

>>Americans like to see Americans winning. >

Really?
>While Americans like to see Americans winning --
>in most countries, a sport's popularity is linked
>to how well their countrymen do it -- it goes
>beyond it. Please explain why golf, tennis, &
>figure skating are all popular in the States!
>Even gymnastics & boxing get higher TV ratings.
>None of those sports was developed in the U.S., &
>the U.S. is arguably less successful in these
>sports than in track & field. Sergio Garcia,
>Annika Sorenstam, Anna Kournikova, Lennox Lewis,
>Martina Hingis (we can go back as far as you
>like), etc. are much more famous here than Marion
>Jones or Maurice Greene. Perhaps you should
>ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING about U.S. sports
>interest.>

Anna K is not as popular as she is because of her tennis prowess. Women's tennis is more popular than men's tennis because of the success of the Americans currently i.e. the Williams sisters plus Davenport and Capriati. If I have to explain to you why Golf is as popular in this country you're not paying attention. If the sport had to depend on Sergio Garcia for attention there would be none.

Track has never been as popular as these sports in this country. The gap has simply widened. Marketing is a big problem. I still await the first ESPN advertisement for the World Champs. If people don't know it's on they can't watch.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:31 am

>this fool does not get the
>essential component
>of distance running which is
>endurance...epo
>artificially enhances
>endurance.
>SIGNIFICANTLY.

drugs less so
>effect
>football....does a steroid help a
>quarterbacks
>timing or a wide receivers vision?
>
while
>steroids enormously help barry
>bonds drive the
>ball farther, he first must
>see it and time it,
>which the steroid will not
>help him with.
>baseball and football
>acknowledge the problem
>m but are somewhat
>unsure to do about it....
>track and field, and
>mopes like you, completely
>deny the HUGE
>ADVANTAGE for a distance runner
Normal people can't relate to
>physically hitting 73 home runs in one season
>any more than they can relate to running a 3:43
>mile. So the view that drug-enhanced runners
>hold some kind of inflated stigma in the eyes of
>the public is ludicrous. The super-elite of the
>other sports wouldn't accomplish the same feats
>without drugs, even with the best sense of
>timing in the world.


WHAT A MORON...WITHOUT STEROIDS BARRY BONDS NEVER HIT OVER 50 HOME RUNS IN A SEASON AND WITHOUT EPO NO AFRICAN HAS RUN UNDER 3:49 FOR THE MILE....HEY, JIM RYUN ON EPO RUNS 3:42.
Guest
 

Re: track and field snubbing from American media

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:33 am

>Judging by their perfromances there is no way US
>distance runners are taking any drugs.

EXACTLY. AND THERE IS NO SHAME IN 3:51 MILES (RYUN) OR 2:09 MARATHONS (SHORTER, ROGERS)WHEN DONE WITHOUT DRUGS......LETS FACE IT, ON EPO JIMMY RYUN RUNS 3:42 AND SHORTER AND BOSTON BILLY RUN 2:05.
Guest
 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AS, Bing [Bot], donley2, Google [Bot], mt, t_monk and 12 guests