Mexico City -- itching to know!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Mexico City -- itching to know!

Postby oldvaulter » Sat May 03, 2003 4:38 pm

Anyone know where on the 'net we can get results for Mexico City over the next few hours?

Out-on-a-limb predictions:
1) Ana beats Cathy easy in the 300m (not such a risky prediction).
2) No WR for Montgomery, despite the altitude and his big talk.
3) Allyson Felix pulls a big upset and wins the 200m (but this is unlikely because Debbie Ferguson is running so well).
oldvaulter

Re: Mexico City -- itching to know!

Postby Donley » Sat May 03, 2003 6:38 pm

Allyson Feliz 22.11- New World Junior Record!!!!!
or so it says at letsrun.com
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=122781
That would make oldvaulter a good predictor of the 200.
Donley

Postby MJD » Sat May 03, 2003 6:41 pm

>2) No WR for Montgomery, despite
>the altitude and his big talk.
Not only no WR but a Canuck beat him-10.03 to 10.04.
MJD

Postby Donley » Sat May 03, 2003 6:59 pm

That (10.03) would be a substantial PR for Macrozonaris his best wind legal time being 10.19. His best race before this was probably the 9.91 he ran with a 3.7 wind in Edmonton. Several other results at sportserver.com/track_field
Donley

Postby BillVol » Sat May 03, 2003 8:33 pm

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=21084.html

Looks like Justin Gatlin suffered an injury in the 200. Only news in the Mexican press is of Ana Guevara, who I guess set a WR in the 300m on her way to beating Cathy Freeman in the 400m. Is this correct?

It's a little disappointing that there is not a live results site for this meet. But then again this is Mexico, so what should we expect?
BillVol

Postby WK » Sat May 03, 2003 8:53 pm

A bit of info from Mexico City (by phone)

100 MEN
The Canadian Nicholas Macrozonaris understandably went nuts (from joy) after the biggest win of his career. His pb was indeed 10,19, but he did run a sub-10 100 meter with a following wind of 3.7 last year.

WIND
Furthermore, the wind was reported to be 0.0, but the flags seem to indicate otherwise (headwind). Then again - one of course never knows in a stadium

100 METER
In several reports I saw Coby Miller is credited with third place, but info from the stadium says Jon Drummond got third (same time).
BTW: Miller did win the 200 meters.

WORLD BESTS
I read a lot of (the same) reports on the net with some interesting results, but a few seem to have been overlooked, namely world bests for
Miguel Pate: 8,47
Derrick Brew: 44,83
?

GATLIN
- seemed to injury himself on a hamstring - first a smaller hickup and later a halt. Severity not known.

300/400
- I read somewhere (so no info from Mexico) that the 400 was changed to a 300 to accommodate Cathy Freeman. Ana Guevara's time is an unofficial world best ever?

Than a small Dutch angle: Dutchman Troy Douglas competed in the 100 and the 200 meters. He was more succesfull in the latter race, but both his times (20,72 and 10,47) may indeed be world masters records - the former Bermudan turned 40 last november. He plans to compete at least until the worlds in Paris (200 and in a talented 4x100). But one of course never knows - if Merlene Ottey can go over 40, maybe Douglas will make it to another Olympics?
WK

Postby oldvaulter » Sat May 03, 2003 10:17 pm

This from the iaaf website:

The women’s 200m brought a World Junior 200m record from 17 year-old American sensation Allyson Felix, with a 22.11 clocking (-0.5m/s wind) that broke the former mark of Russia’s Natalya Bochina (22.19), which had stood since 30 July 1980. Felix had been in remarkable form already this year, having run at the senior World Indoor Championships in March, and having set an Area 200m junior record of 22.51 on the 19 April at the Mt SAC Relays.

“I was a little surprised myself at the time,” said Felix “but I knew something big would happen, with the altitude, the crowd, and the way I was progressing, and how things were going in training.”

Some will carp about the altitude, but other sprint times, men's and women's, while good, were not out of this world. Also, Allyson had a headwind! And she beat great competition by a good margin. This is one spectacular performance!

In an earlier thread, "South of the Border", awhile back, I said I was hoping for 21.99 from Allyson in Mexico City, but I'm very happy with 22.11 tonight. She's a real star. Let's hope she can remain uninjured and get the coaching she'll need over the next few years to become a dominant sprinter on the world scene. Move over Marion!
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Sat May 03, 2003 11:03 pm

it sounds it was an great early season meet
it is kind of hard to know with the altitude, but a win is a win. i doubt felix and the canadian will be winning in late august it will be a much different story then.
the only major disappointment was gatlin's injury. if it is not too bad he can be ready in 7 weeks for the usatf meet. otherwise it could be something that ruins his entire season because if he misses the usatf meet he missed the world meet.