Long Jumping Tracksters

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Long Jumping Tracksters

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:50 pm

Under the title Jackie Robinson and Wilt Chamberlin ttiller recently wrote:
"How many other outstanding long jumpers frittered away their best years playing baseball just for the love of money? Didn't Willie Davis of the Dodgers jump at or near 25 feet in high school? And I recall seeing Bobby (not Barry) Bonds jumping very impressively at a couple of high school meets about 40 years ago."

Double RR Bar replied: Bobby Bonds was the California state H.S. long jump champion in 1964. I think he jumped around 25'3"

Comments: Doulbe RR Bar is right about Bobby Bonds. Willie Davis made All City in Baseball, Basketball and Track at Los Angeles, Roosevelt H.S. and also jumped over 25 ft. in the early 60's. Around the same time a former Dodger team mate of Davis's, Willie Crawford of L.A. Fremont H.S., duplicated Davis's All City feets and as I recall aalso jumped close to if not over 25 ft. This was a golden age of California H.S. long jumping which included a great hurdler/long jumper from John Muir H.S. in Pasadena who set a national H.S. record in 1967.

Re: Long Jumping Tracksters

Postby oldvaulter » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:05 pm

I remember all these guys -- Bobby Bonds, Willie Davis, and Willie Crawford. Fabulous athletes. Whatever happened to another great talent from the same era -- Mel Renfro? Football?
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:42 pm

Mel Renfro, a great H.S. hurdler, played football for the University of Oregon and was an All Pro with the Dallas Cowboys.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:57 pm

A few years after Bonds, Davis, Renfro, et al, came the best (or at least the most consistently high quality)prep long jumper before Lewis... Jerry Proctor. That little guy was an amazing athlete. My admittedly faulty memory says that he was about half the size of Bobby Bonds and I dunno if he ever played baseball but I bet if he had decided to do so he could have played in the majors.

Postby huh? » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:25 am

Long Jumping Tracksters? Well, let's see. Carl Lewis was pretty good on the track. And then there was . . . .
huh?

Postby gh » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:46 am

>I remember all these guys -- Bobby Bonds, Willie
>Davis, and Willie Crawford. Fabulous athletes.
>Whatever happened to another great talent from
>the same era -- Mel Renfro? Football?>>

check out the thread on this forum titled "GH's All-Time Favorite Trivia Question"
gh

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:54 am

Here's another baseball player with a good HS LJ: Jim Fregosi. Saw his name on an ols HS list, believe je was in the 24's.

Postby gh » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:05 am

Fregosi, eh? OK, let me see if I can tie a bunch of disparate thoughts into one cohesive bit here:

In 1959 Jim Fregosi (Serra, San Mateo) jumps 23-8, is among the dozen farthest preps in the country. By 1961 he's in the major leagues, plays 18 seasons (twice hits over .290, never over .300), then manages four different teams.

In 1964, Bobby Bonds (Poly, Riverside), is the national HS leader at 25-3 (to win the Cal State title), a mark which at the time made him =No.3 on the all-time list. And sister Rosie finishes 8th in the Olympics in the 80mH. Bobby goes on to be baseball all star.

In 1970, Lynn Swann (Serra, San Mateo) breaks Fregosi's school record with a 24-10 (No. 6 on the yearly list) and is also Cal State champ. He goes on to become all-pro wide receiver.

But neither Fregosi nor Swann is remotely regarded as Serra's No. 1 alum. Why?

Becuase in 1964, while Bobby B is a HS senior, Fregosi is in his fourth year in the majors and Swann is in the 6th grade, becuase on July 24, 1964, who is born? Future Serra alum Barry Bonds.
gh

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:45 pm

Garry Hill wrote:

"In 1970, Lynn Swann (Serra, San Mateo) breaks Fregosi's school record with a 24-10 (No. 6 on the yearly list) and is also Cal State champ. He goes on to become all-pro wide receiver."

Reply: Garry wasn't Swann a pretty good sprinter and hurdler also? I seem to remember him running an 18.9 over the now infamous 180yd LH.

Postby br » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 am

gh wrote:Fregosi, eh? OK, let me see if I can tie a bunch of disparate thoughts into one cohesive bit here:

In 1959 Jim Fregosi (Serra, San Mateo) jumps 23-8, is among the dozen farthest preps in the country. By 1961 he's in the major leagues, plays 18 seasons (twice hits over .290, never over .300), then manages four different teams.

R.I.P. Jim Fregosi

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... s/5468509/
br

Postby Ernest Lee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 am

gh wrote:But neither Fregosi nor Swann is remotely regarded as Serra's No. 1 alum. Why?

Becuase in 1964, while Bobby B is a HS senior, Fregosi is in his fourth year in the majors and Swann is in the 6th grade, becuase on July 24, 1964, who is born? Future Serra alum Barry Bonds.

And in the decade since GH wrote the above comment, another athlete has challenged Bonds as Serra's No. 1 alum: Tom Brady.
Ernest Lee

Postby Dixon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:27 am

Well if it's long jumpers/tracksters....

Anthony Watson Oklahoma...9.3/26 footer
Kareem Street Thompson Rice...9.9/28-3
Vesco Bradley FSU....9.3?/26-8
N.Makusha FSU...College record 100m/27-6
Bo Roberson Cornell...Olympic LJ silver and a 9.4?***
Chris Sanders Ohio State...10.2ish/27-9***

Leroy Burrell Houston
Harold Arahams GB
Bruny Surin Canada
Darvis Patton

...were all long jumpers turn sprinters.

Can't forget...

DeHart Hubbard Michigan...world record in both
Jesse Owens Ohio State....world record in both
Eulace Peacock Temple....10.3/26-3

*** pro footballers
Last edited by Dixon on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dixon

Postby br » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 am

Not that this really matters 10+ years after the fact, but although there are multitudes of football/long jumpers, the original post was referencing baseball players who were long jumpers.
br

Postby Dixon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:40 pm

br wrote:Not that this really matters 10+ years after the fact, but although there are multitudes of football/long jumpers, the original post was referencing baseball players who were long jumpers.

We can have the baseballers and everyone else......also. You see anything wrong with that? And the OP brought up Mel Renfro who wasn't a baseballer.

And if we are talking long jumpers/footballers it's really not multitudes. These are those 25 footers and over who played in the NFL.

Terry Metcalf Long Beach State/Cards
Eric Metcalf Texas/Browns....his 27-8 the best by any footballer
Mel Renfro Oregon/Cowboys
Johnny Hector Tex A&M/Jets
Vance Johnson Arizona/Broncos
James Lofton Stanford/Packers
Champ Bailey Georgia/Broncos
Paul Warfield Ohio State/Browns & Dolphins
Chris Sanders Ohio State/Titans
Dokie Williams...UCLA/Raiders
Bo Roberson...Cornell/Raiders
Ron Jessie...Kansas/Lions
Marquis Goodwin...Texas/Bills
Todd Bell...Michigan/Bears
James McAlister...UCLA/Eagles
J.J.Birden....Oregon/Chiefs

We can have that and all the baseball ya want.....still/also.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Guest wrote:Mel Renfro, a great H.S. hurdler, played football for the University of Oregon and was an All Pro with the Dallas Cowboys.

Renfro also ran on a WR 4x1 team while at Oregon with two other future NFLers (not for long) and the great Harry Jerome. A 9.6/13.7/25-10 or was it 25-11?
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:34 pm

I didn't pick up what was really going on here, now I see what this was about. Sorry for playing the insensitive fool.
Dixon

Postby gh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 am

From this morning's SF Chron:

<<"Unbelievable athlete," said his Serra teammate Gary Hughes, a longtime scout and consultant now working for the Red Sox. "They make a big deal about guys playing two sports. Jim played four. He used to broad jump between innings of baseball games.">>

love the last bit if it's not apocryphal
gh

Postby no one » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:21 pm

same thing happened with Bobby Bonds - when at home meets - in between innings or when team was 'at bat' - and he wasn't he would go (about 50 yds to track), and run the 100y and/or BJ. Legend (reality?) has it that he hit a home run, kept running/joggin past home to long jump 24+ feet. then back to the game.

Another legend (reality?) is in between innings he went to the track to run the 100 vs the John Muir guys - he ran 9.7 and got 4th. Don't know how he managed the uniform thing. He was the state champ in LJ that yr, although no baseball to contend with during that meet. Riverside was rife with amazing athletic feats by the Bonds family.

Sat next to a guy on a plane once and we got around to HS sports and his school was a cross town 'competitor' - not rival, of Riverside Poly. He said one game they were getting bonked pretty good and Bobby was mass producer of points. This guy said he tackled Bonds on a put/kickoff return and considered that the biggest achievement of his HS athletic career.

I had a coach who went to HS with Jim Fregosi - his tales concur with the athleticism of him. Some people just 'have it'. no fair. His brother of course was state HS hurdles champ - not sure what ever happened to him post HS
no one

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Anthuan Maybank - 44.9, 27'
Bruce Kritzler

Postby lonewolf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:Anthuan Maybank - 44.9, 27'

I may have told this story before...
New Orleans- 1992,NCAA..Maybank running 400 final as LJ final being contested..400 start/finish NE corner of track Tad Gormley stadium, LJ N to S on west sideline.. Maybanks name was called to jump as he passed the long jump pit, he completed a 45 second 400, ran across the infield without pausing and popped a 26 + ' LJ before his one minute time expired.
I don't remember the results of either event.. but will never forget that...
lonewolf