Reagan relay DQed

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Reagan relay DQed

Postby trackstar » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:25 am

Argh, I hate bureaucratic rules. If you get to looking at the Texas state meet results and wonder what in the hell happened to the Austin Reagan girls' 4x1 and 4x2 teams, they got disqualified after the district meet because their leadoff runner Cherry Goodman didn't meet the technical requirements for residency change. She moved from a suburb to Austin this year, but apparently not in time to be eligible for this season. Her coach took responsibility for not making sure she was legal before the district meet. (see story at http://www.news8austin.com/content/your ... ArID=69529) Since they were retroactively DQed from the district meet, they were unable to simply substitute a runner for regionals.

What a shame -- they would have easily qualified for state, assuming no dropped batons. Their best times this season were 45.89 (1st in class 4A, 2nd in Texas, 3rd nationally) and 1:37.07 (ditto).
trackstar

Re: Reagan relay DQed

Postby luv2run » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:00 pm

In light of all the crap that goes on high school, I am glad they enforced the transfer rules. Too bad, HS associations are not more strict in other places with other sports.
luv2run

Re: Reagan relay DQed

Postby trackstar » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:22 pm

Oh, I recognize the necessity of such rules. It's just a shame that the coach didn't make sure all the "t"s were crossed and the "i"s dotted before putting her on the relay. Reagan's talent is deep enough that he probably could have put in his fifth runner and still won a state title. They have a heck of a sprinting program. It's the same school Brendan Christian (now a frosh UT star) is from.
trackstar