40 times

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

40 times

Postby BillVol » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:23 am

Note on this list of 40 yard dash times the mark of Jonathan Wade. 4.19. Yeah, right!

http://www.couchscout.com/tenn.htm
BillVol

Re: 40 times

Postby tafnut » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:33 am

Not to restart this battle, but I know Leroy Burrell ran a 4.38 in his '94 100 WR, but what is the fastest on record? Are the 10m splits on Monty's record available? Is .83 the fastest flying 10 ever recorded? Wouldn't you think that the fastest f10m on record would be a big deal, since it's the fastest a human has ever propelled himself?
tafnut

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:09 am

Yeah, doubtfull, but at 5 feet 9 and 175 he better be fast, cuz hes a little girl.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:58 am

>Not to restart this battle, but I know Leroy
>Burrell ran a 4.38 in his '94 100 WR, but what is
>the fastest on record?

Does this include reaction time or not? I hear footballers take that part out of the equation, which can be significant.

Postby tafnut » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:22 am

Oh please don't get me started again on football 'speed'. With all the $$$ and technology that the NFL has, wouldn't you think they would go to auto-timing? They do have timers that start when the player lifts his fingers off a pad and are stopped by a beam, but half the time they don't even use that. They can't even decide whether to do it in cleats on grass or spikes on synthetic. We end up with numbers that are virtually meaningless, when we have the capability to know exactly how fast they are. PLUS, as is often pointed out, the speed they look for is variable - for a cornerback, it's closing speed, for a receiver it's after the cut or flat out down the sideline. For linemen it's about three steps. For a quarterback it's elusiveness coming out of the pocket - maybe 10 yards worth. I have always said that they need to know just two things: 10m speed (from a 3-point stance on grass with cleats, helmet and pads) in hundredths, and flying 10m top speed in gear. How quick are they off the ball (equates to after a cut also) and what's the flat out 'foot-speed'? (now there's a great term - oh I thought you meant 'typing speed!')
tafnut

Postby gh » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:34 pm

go over to the Current Events forum and find the previous thread on this, which has a couple of dozen entries; will save a lot of rehash
gh

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:19 pm

That time was probably "hand time" although they had the hundreths of a second number. I'm pretty sure that he can run a 4.1 handtime, but i highly doubt he can run that electronic.

Re: 40 times Are Legit

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:04 pm

Those times in hundredths very well might be electronic. My son went through a NFL type combine for a D1 Football school. The NFL is not stupid. Those times ARE automatic. But the NFL times it different. The player gets in a stance in front of eletronic eye. Once he moves it sets off the timer. Another electronic eye at the other end stops the timer. By the way, they also have another method they use to make sure that the field is level, and that they are actually timing 40 yds.

Your hard earned ticket receipts at work.