Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?


Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby TrakFan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:25 am

There’s been a lot of discussion lately concerning Paula Deen’s use of the “N” word. There were other allegations in her accuser’s deposition, but Paula’s empire has literally crumbled as a result of her language -- and other actions: JC Penney, Sears-Kmart, Ballantine Books (cancelled book deal), Wal-Mart, Target, Food Network, QVC, Home Depot, and a few others are now gone:

http://www.examiner.com/article/paula-d ... rsial-cook

There are some who don't understand why it’s "okay" for blacks (particularly, rappers) to use the N word without repercussions and others can’t. Are individuals that dense?

* Steven Spielberg can refer to a Jewish guy as a “Crazy Jew”, but Mel Gibson can’t
* Perez Hilton (gay blogger) can use the F word when referring to a gay actor, but Isaiah Washington can’t
* Paul Rodriguez can use a Latino slur in his routine, but Michael Richards can’t
* A female work colleague can use the “b” word in anger with a peer (without major repercussions), but a male can’t.

Amazingly, there are some who wonder why Paula has been punished for using a term that they routinely hear in public conversations, as well as in music. I’m black and grew up in a household where we were not allowed to use the word. It bugs me when I hear it in any capacity, and I CRINGE whenever I hear other blacks use the term in mixed company.
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 am

What's crazy is that she used the word long ago and is facing these repercussions.

Compare that to Alec Baldwin, who has faced virtually no backlash to saying things like this,
"If put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much"
"I'm gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna f**k you... up"
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Ned Ryerson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 am

dustoff wrote:What's crazy is that she used the word long ago and is facing these repercussions.


Not so crazy, I think:
The New Yorker wrote:Deen has repeatedly defended herself over the past week, denying that she is a racist. But she keeps getting tripped up by the fact that the N-word does mean something to her, and when she has used it she intends for it to be a grave insult. Crisply dressed black waiters who served her in another Southern restaurant? In the deposition, she denies referring to them with that word. “No, because that’s not what these men were,” she says. “They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.”


http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... roots.html
Ned Ryerson
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:43 am

Ned Ryerson wrote:Not so crazy, I think:
The New Yorker wrote:Deen has repeatedly defended herself over the past week, denying that she is a racist. But she keeps getting tripped up by the fact that the N-word does mean something to her, and when she has used it she intends for it to be a grave insult. Crisply dressed black waiters who served her in another Southern restaurant? In the deposition, she denies referring to them with that word. “No, because that’s not what these men were,” she says. “They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.”


http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... roots.html


Did you read what she actually said, not just one person's fucked interpretation?

The Wiki, of course, has the exact quotes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Deen ... ontroversy

Having black servants in a plantation style event... likely in bad taste and of questionable judgment, but I can't imagine how you can accurately depict it otherwise. I am not sure what that has to do with her using the N word decades ago.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Jackaloupe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:44 am

What's crazy is that she used the word long ago and is facing these repercussions.

It wasn't the word, per se, but the context, displaying her seemingly oblivious racism, that saw the reaction bloom this time: Referring to some club's Plantation Even staffed by bow-tie uniformed waiters, so nicely behaved (aka fawning over her), she naively pointed out that they were different, being so "professional".

Disclaimer: Like most of my News, I got this from The Daily Show, with John Oliver (s)laying it out, esp. the gooey food connection. Since the broader topic was presented in the context of the latest star to trip on such a word, I thought it best to at least get that context straight.

Edit: Ooops, looks like I didn't either,but maybe the point of "Why only now?" can best be answered by the current Social Media context, as well as the wider divulgence of Cable shows as on Comedy Central--where parody is often the best remedy.
Jackaloupe
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Ned Ryerson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:52 am

dustoff wrote:
Ned Ryerson wrote:Not so crazy, I think:
The New Yorker wrote:Deen has repeatedly defended herself over the past week, denying that she is a racist. But she keeps getting tripped up by the fact that the N-word does mean something to her, and when she has used it she intends for it to be a grave insult. Crisply dressed black waiters who served her in another Southern restaurant? In the deposition, she denies referring to them with that word. “No, because that’s not what these men were,” she says. “They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.”


http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... roots.html


Did you read what she actually said, not just one person's fucked interpretation?

The Wiki, of course, has the exact quotes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Deen ... ontroversy

Having black servants in a plantation style event... likely in bad taste and of questionable judgment, but I can't imagine how you can accurately depict it otherwise. I am not sure what that has to do with her using the N word decades ago.


Did you read it? She said it came to mind when she was held at gunpoint by a black man. Is that where your mind would go, to use that word to describe your assailant? Of all the words to express rage with someone, you pick that one, one of the most racially charged words in English?
Ned Ryerson
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:00 am

Ned Ryerson wrote:Did you read it? She said it came to mind when she was held at gunpoint by a black man. Is that where your mind would go, to use that word to describe your assailant? Of all the words to express rage with someone, you pick that one, one of the most racially charged words in English?


Yes, she admitted that she said it decades ago, gave the context, and her views have changed over the yers. She didn't seem to give much of any excuse for it. She clearly used it in poor taste. Are we really holding people's careers to something they said to their spouse what, 30-40 years ago?

I am not saying it is okay she used the word. It isn't. She acknowledges that as well. The thing is people have said worse and not faced nearly the same consequences and this is about something she said many many years ago and to her husband during what was likely an emotional outburst.

The real problem with this shows that there is no incentive for a public figure to ever be [entirely] truthful about things in their past.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:03 am

I feel badly for Deen - she is as much a victim of geography as she is a latent racist. It wasn't until I moved down here (the South) in the mid 70s, that I fully understood institutional, culturally pervasive racism. Growing up in the 60s in a very social activist New England milieu, racism (and the N-word) was a Big Deal, to be dealt with with ACTION. Coming to the South, where it was a casually acceptable thing among the least educated (and some of the other), I was amazed and put in a very difficult circumstance.
Paula is/was just a good-ol-girl who grew up in this circumstance. She didn't know any better, probably until the late 80s. That does not condone her attitude, but it puts it in context. Fortunately this casual racism is almost completely eradicated in most suburban areas now (have no idea how it's playing out in the hinterlands), but its heritage is hard to get out from under for those who grew up with it.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:27 am

Paula Deen is clearly an idiot but this ridiculous witch hunt against her leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby doug5321 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:34 am

i think the n word should not be used by anyone, it is a vile, reprehensible word historically.

1. it is extremely disrespectful to the dead who were brought over inhumanely chained side by side in boats, they did not let them go to the bathroom so being in feces and urine many got sick, died and thrown in the ocean, several million died over the years, think of the 9-11-2001 incident and multiply it by at least a THOUSAND.

2. whites should not use it as it is offensive and disrespectful to all who faced injustice and inhumanity based solely on their color.

3. blacks should not use it either as it is incredibly disrespectful to the blacks who died, faced injustice and inhumanity, the girl in the zimmerman trial said she did not want to use the exact racial terms in front of martins parents because it was cursing actually to an older black or any black person with a brain it is far worse than cursing.

4. as for the rappers using it, they should not be the moral campus leading america, racial terms, cursing, degenerating woman, glorifying the most negative black stereotypes to the max, i wish we they would sing about social issues like, marvin gaye, curtis mayfield etc, in an eloquent, articulate and in intelligent way.

5. doubt things will improve, republicans wont do much as blacks rarely vote for them, the democrat politicians who rely on black votes are puppets to black activist because they want their endorsement, and the black activist's jackson, sharpton etc. want blacks to think of themselves as victims and see blacks do poorly WHY? well if blacks did well and did not look at themselves as victims the j. jacksons/a. sharpton's would lose their jobs, their high paying jobs.

6. in my opinion nobody regardless of race, ethnicity, color should use the term.
doug5321
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:57 am

Vilifying a person for something that was said nearly 30 years ago is beyond ridiculous. I doubt there is a person in this world that hasn't done something stupid, or said something stupid, or even racist at some point in their lives. To try and punish and demean them knowing nothing about their present character is reprehensible. What is worse? The original statement, or the reactions and defamation going on now?
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby bad hammy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:45 am

Marlow wrote:Coming to the South, where it was a casually acceptable thing among the least educated (and some of the other), I was amazed and put in a very difficult circumstance.

Moving from California to the south in the 1980s I was shocked at the casual usage of the N word. It was pervasive - work, school, play, etc. It wasn't like I hadn't heard the word in CA but the difference was staggering. I wasn't in the south two weeks before the KKK had a rally that closed down a major nearby highway to hand out literature. Good time to be white . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 am

dustoff wrote:Compare that to Alec Baldwin, who has faced virtually no backlash to saying things like this,
"If put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much"
"I'm gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna f**k you... up"


Why would he face a backlash for that? Other than George Stark who else would be offended?
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:15 am

Flumpy wrote:
dustoff wrote:Compare that to Alec Baldwin, who has faced virtually no backlash to saying things like this,
"If put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much"
"I'm gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna f**k you... up"


Why would he face a backlash for that? Other than George Stark who else would be offended?


George Stark is gay
Queen = homophobic slur
Implying foot up ass = enjoy because he is gay

Compare the fact he said this recently vs Paula Deen using the N word ~30 years ago with her husband when describing somebody who stuck a gun in her face.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 am

I'm not offended. :?

'Queen' is hardly comparable to 'Nigger'.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

Flumpy wrote:I'm not offended. :?

'Queen' is hardly comparable to 'Nigger'.


I don't recall saying they were the same. I compared the backlash someone faced for something they said many decades ago to a spouse that they acknowledge was inappropriate to someone who today use a gay slur, was unapologetic, and faced no backlash.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby hammer forever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Does Honey Boo Boo or her family use the "n" word?
hammer forever
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: poughkeepsie, new york

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Marlow wrote:she is a latent racist.


I didn't even know who she was until all this hoopla started recently. But how can you say this? What she said happened 27 years ago if what I read is correct. So, are you the same person you were 27 years ago? Have your life experiences changed or improved you at all?

Racism is one manifestation of bigotry. Hating people because they are different, or look different from yourself. Yet bigotry is alive and well these days and is exemplified on these boards frequently. Left wing vs. Right wing; Liberal v. conservative; Higher educated vs. lesser educated; Religious v. non-religious, I could go on ad nauseum. The politically correct thing is to decry racism while other forms of bigotry are thriving like never before!
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby TrakFan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 pm

doug5321 wrote:the democrat politicians who rely on black votes are puppets to black activist because they want their endorsement, and the black activist's jackson, sharpton etc. want blacks to think of themselves as victims and see blacks do poorly WHY? well if blacks did well and did not look at themselves as victims the j. jacksons/a. sharpton's would lose their jobs, their high paying jobs.


Nope. Actually, many Democrat politicians stay away from Jackson because they don't want to alienate white voters. If you recall, Jackson said he wanted to "cut off Obama's nuts." As for what comes to mind with Al Sharpton's most recent activities...he was the one who made noise (thankfully) concerning Treyvon Martin, as well is with the Jena-6. Those individuals didn't see themselves as victims...they were victims. If you're trying to identify activist thugs, you may want to take a look at the Florida Family Association. They' have many "accomplishments" and are especially proud of getting Lowe's and other companies to cancel advertising on a television show about Muslims living in America.

http://floridafamily.org/full_article.php?article_no=23
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Wait? Did you just call the Jena 6 victims?? You are talking about the people that violently beat a 'kid', nearly to death, that had nothing to do with anything?

Are you talking about the Trayvon Martin who, by all the evidence currently available, attacked George Zimmerman and bragged about attacking other innocent people?

Get a clue and educate yourself.

THIS is an example of [inter]racial intolerance that you almost certainly didn't hear about. There is plenty of injustice occurs and things that ought not to be tolerated, but those are two of the worst examples.

EDIT: More than a couple of those innocent Jena 6 have gone on to commit assault, burglary, battery, and more even after savagely beating a kid. They should have all gotten thrown in the slammer for a long time.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby TrakFan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:54 pm

dustoff wrote:Wait? Did you just call the Jena 6 victims?? You are talking about the people that violently beat a 'kid', nearly to death, that had nothing to do with anything?

Are you talking about the Trayvon Martin who, by all the evidence currently available, attacked George Zimmerman and bragged about attacking other innocent people?

Get a clue and educate yourself.

THIS is an example of [inter]racial intolerance that you almost certainly didn't hear about. There is plenty of injustice occurs and things that ought not to be tolerated, but those are two of the worst examples.

EDIT: More than a couple of those innocent Jena 6 have gone on to commit assault, burglary, battery, and more even after savagely beating a kid. They should have all gotten thrown in the slammer for a long time.


dustoff, I'm already aware of your disdain for black teens. It's interesting that you focus solely on the activity of the individuals after everything was settled. I don't excuse their behavior. I assume you think it was okay for white kids at that school to hang a noose on a tree as part of a prank? You also probably thought it was okay for the black kid to be charged with disturbing the peace, second-degree robbery, and theft of a firearm after taking a shotgun away from a kid who pulled it on him during a dispute.
TrakFan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:03 pm

TrakFan wrote:dustoff, I'm already aware of your disdain for black teens. It's interesting that you focus solely on the activity of the individuals after everything was settled. I don't excuse their behavior. I assume you think it was okay for white kids at that school to hang a noose on a tree as part of a prank? You also probably thought it was okay for the black kid to be charged with disturbing the peace, second-degree robbery, and theft of a firearm after taking a shotgun away from a kid who pulled it on him during a dispute.


Black teens? I hate all teens! :twisted:

Kidding of course, I could care less about color. I am baffled race is a primary concern for anybody. I am engaged to a black woman for what it's worth.... and since I've been involved in track as an athlete, fan, coach, and official, I've seen plenty of great (and bad) people of all races, genders, ages, creeds, abilities, and nationalities.

You claimed the Jena 6 were victims. Of course, they nearly killed an innocent teen themselves and tried to cover it up by lying that he used the very word this thread is titled about!

They were 'victims' of horrible pranks and taunts (and taunted others themselves as well). That is horrible--any reasonable person would agree with that. The kids that were part of the pranks should have been disciplined appropriately.

I don't see what that has to do with nearly killing somebody that was proven to not be involved in any way with the prank who did nothing to provoke the group. Even the convicted felons admitted that they just attacked him based on his race, without any provocation.

You are an idiot if you think nearly killing somebody is an appropriate response to those pranks. They should have been convicted of attempted murder. Their future proved they were violent
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Further, quite confusing you seem to imply the people the hung the nooses didn't face punishment. Besides there not being a particular law against it, they were placed in an alternative school, had 2 week in school suspension, served Saturday detention, and more. I'm not sure what exactly you want a non-violent offense to result in--expulsion?

Only 1 member of the Jena-6 even got a real sentence in spite of being part of a conspiracy that nearly resulted in the death of somebody.

They got off as light as I can imagine anybody getting off.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest