The 47%


Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

The 47%

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Here is Romney's quote:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... fundraiser


I really thought that this 47% comment would hurt Romney in the polls during the election last fall since many of that 47% were his base. But it didn't seem to hurt him that much at all. Is this because the 47% don't relate to the 'dependent' stereotype? Or maybe it did hurt him and he would have won the election without it?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 47%

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:07 pm

But ironically enough, that is just about how much of the vote he got; actually 47.21%, against Obama's 51.06%. Eisenhower was the last one to earn at least 51% twice.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 47%

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Romney spoke the truth. I cannot explain or understand the other 4% who voted for Obama. :?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: The 47%

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 pm

The politics of "We're all in this together" was a far more acceptable alternative to the politics of "You're on your own" or "Every man/woman/child for himself/herself", and prevailed.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 47%

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 am

Daisy wrote:Here is Romney's quote:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... fundraiser


I really thought that this 47% comment would hurt Romney in the polls during the election last fall since many of that 47% were his base. But it didn't seem to hurt him that much at all. Is this because the 47% don't relate to the 'dependent' stereotype? Or maybe it did hurt him and he would have won the election without it?


I believe this was Romney speaking from the heart. I believe it hurt him since it supported a couple ideas: you are on your own and he isn't one of us. I was glad to see him do the work for the Obama campaign. It was especially stupid for a lot of reasons since many retirees fit into that group and he wrote off half of the American people. This is not a leader for this country. He is a son of wealth and privilege who thought he made it on his own.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: The 47%

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:25 am

lonewolf wrote:Romney spoke the truth. I cannot explain or understand the other 4% who voted for Obama. :?


Really? I, for one, am a strong proponent of a state sponsored pension plan that you pay in through your productive years. I am also a strong proponent of a state sponsored health plan that you fund by premiums. I do not consider myself victim and I have paid taxes through my nose all my productive years and still do. I also know many people that belong in the same category. Even the Clinton's "trailer trash" that I know work and pay taxes. Wait a moment, you might be right, they voted Romney.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: The 47%

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 am

It's all about identifying one's sacred ox. EVERYONE has one, therefore EVERYONE wants that aspect of government, no matter how nanny-state it is or how entitlementary it is. Romney's confusion in this matter is symptomatic of his fundamental disconnect with the 51%
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The 47%

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:38 am

lonewolf wrote:Romney spoke the truth.

I don't think it is possible that all voters categorized in the 47% voted for Obama "no matter what". Are there any polls giving an estimate of the break down?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 47%

Postby TN1965 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:11 am

Daisy wrote:Is this because the 47% don't relate to the 'dependent' stereotype?


Many people who don't pay income tax do not believe they are dependent on the state. This includes seniors who are collecting Social Security checks and using their Medicare. Also young adults who depend on their parents. (You see, it is more honorable than depending on the government.) But it even includes people in their productive ages who receive one form of government benefits or another. Since they are working (and earning income), they believe are different from (and better than) those on welfare. They are among the 47%, but they believe they belong to the other 53%.
TN1965
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: The 47%

Postby bushop » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:13 am

TN1965 wrote:
Daisy wrote:Is this because the 47% don't relate to the 'dependent' stereotype?
Many people who don't pay income tax do not believe they are dependent on the state. This includes seniors who are collecting Social Security checks and using their Medicare. Also young adults who depend on their parents...

... and the ultra wealthy.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: The 47%

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am

lonewolf wrote:Romney spoke the truth. I cannot explain or understand the other 4% who voted for Obama. :?


Good grief :roll:

Unless all pensioners and former soldier voted for Obama I think you may have got your maths some what wrong.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 47%

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:25 pm

lonewolf wrote:Romney spoke the truth. I cannot explain or understand the other 4% who voted for Obama. :?

Romney told a bunch of rich donors what he believed and knew they wanted to hear.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest