Michael Johnson: West Africans Have A Superior Athletic Gene

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Michael Johnson: West Africans Have A Superior Athletic Gene

Postby proofs in the pudd'in » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am

Article linked on front page

PART 1

I am all for discussing this interesting topic and it may very well be true that some decendants of West Africans have such an advantage. The problem is that this article is full of problems.

1) The article starts off talking about sprinting (very specific) then switches to the quote about an 'athletic' gene (very broad).

2) The idea that there is one gene for sprinting let alone athletic ability is absurd.

3) The article attributes this to slave breeding. But how in the hell did the slave owners know anything about what to look for - looks don't cut it. All they had, if this is true, is their own subjective understanding? Why would they be breeding for speed or any other athletic ability to begin with. The article then mentions the 'crossing' which seleted out the very strongest of the slaves - which leds to the next point.

4) What does 'strength' to survive the journey have any thing to do with speed or athleticism? If anything it would have to do more with the field events :wink: Under such a general framework many peoples went through harsh selection processes. This makes no sense.

5) If West Africans have a superior gene why are they not as successful? Hell, even if it is a combo of genes why not?

6) Then I love the this part of the article - Michael had a DNA test that confirmed he was of West African descent? No S**T! This was done for an Documnetary (OH BOY!) called 'Survival of the Fastest.' If the fastest survived - why them and not some other athletic trait?

7) The Double Standard of the discussion - if a white intellectual said something along the lines regarding intelligence, morality, etc. there would be hell to pay for the next 1,000 effing years.
Last edited by proofs in the pudd'in on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
proofs in the pudd'in

Re: Michael Johnson: West Africans Have A Superior Athletic

Postby proofs in the pudd'in » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 am

PART 2

O.K.! If there is some racial advantage - that is fine -but it certainly is not along the lines that Michael and this article are suggesting.

It seems it is going to take longer to get these so-called factiods and assumptions out of the consciousness of people when bozos like Mike keep perpetuating these types of arguments. If he wants real answers then stop and think of the logic and science behind what you are saying since it influences many other ding-bats.

Overall, a terrible article, not because of the topic, but because of its points. He should be :oops:
proofs in the pudd'in

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 am

proofs in the pudd'in wrote:Michael had a DNA test that confirmed he was of West African descent? No S**T! This was done for an Documnetary (OH BOY!) called [i]'Survival of the Fastest.'

:shock: :shock: Was he surprised?
Daisy

Postby proofs in the pudd'in » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Daisy wrote:
proofs in the pudd'in wrote:Michael had a DNA test that confirmed he was of West African descent? No S**T! This was done for an Documnetary (OH BOY!) called [i]'Survival of the Fastest.'

:shock: :shock: Was he surprised?

I hope not! Actually I am wondering if he had any admixture since they did not mention the results just that he had West African Ancestry. If any other admixture he might be surprised. I think that that Henry Louis Gates Jr. fellow does this sort of thing and many of his 'black' guests are surprised by their findings.
proofs in the pudd'in

Postby mal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:39 pm

They can reach the tastiest and juiciest leaves at the tot of the trees.
mal

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:16 pm

PC or not PC, West Central Africans (the ones abducted to be slaves in the 1600 and 1700s (and even before)) were genetically predisposed to be 'better' sprinters than most anywhere else in the world. I don't know if it's the preponderance of fast-twitch muscles or something else, but it sure seems empirically evident. The Rift Valleyians have a tendency to have great endurance.

Or am I being too obvious? :wink:
Marlow

Postby Pelpa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Marlow wrote:PC or not PC, West Central Africans (the ones abducted to be slaves in the 1600 and 1700s (and even before)) were genetically predisposed to be 'better' sprinters than most anywhere else in the world. I don't know if it's the preponderance of fast-twitch muscles or something else, but it sure seems empirically evident. The Rift Valleyians have a tendency to have great endurance.

Or am I being too obvious? :wink:

Good views, in fact Its only fair to have MJ claim discovery of something the 'whiteman' first discovered for years whiteman like Columbus were claiming discovery of things the brownman first uncovered.
Pelpa